Old Retired Guy

Ms Visual C++ Runtime Error On Program Run

Question

I installed program OK - with antivirus turned off - however, when I try to run it, I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error telling me that the program Manager FileManagerVHS.exe has experienced problems and has asked to be shut down.

The progam then runs but with no video feed.

I tried a repair but just can't get past this. Any ideas?

Running Sony Vaio with Vista Home edition.

13 answers to this question

Not following that sequence...

The program errors on start up but runs anyway? :wacko:

HOW do you have it hooked up?

Have you done any updates to that computer . If not, you need to especially updating the drivers to the video chip. Start by looking at the Sony web site and if there are no updates listed there go to the Microsoft web site to get updates.

Since you are still running Vista, do you have that updated with all the Service Packs?

If the above doesn't help, please give us information on your computer by running dxdiag.exe (if you have that available. Follow these instructions (link).

Are you the administrator on the computer? Did you install it to that account?

Please don;t use age as an excuse (if you had planned to) -- we older people need to keep learning to keep both active and useful ! :P You learn by asking and NO ONE will think lesser of you.

Guys, bless you for looking over my shoulder...

@ Jim:

The Runtime error message is a pop-up notification from the o/s. Once I click through it, the "Easy VHS" program runs and even allows me to select from the
Record DVD
or
Record, Edit.
.. options. At that point, however, the program reports "No Video" and the program freezes up and can only be terminated from the o/s level.

I hooked up the dongle using a verified-to-be-working USB 2.0 port and I also checked that the BNC cables running to the VCR are not broken.

@ Guru:

I checked with MSoft and Sony and my machine is running latest version of Video and Sound drivers and has all the o/s patches and tweaks (with the exception of Msoft's never-to-be-sufficiently-damned "Bing toolbar). When I installed the software, I disabled my BitDefender antivirus and ran "Setup" as administrator.

I've attached the dxdiag run to this post and hope there's some smoking gun that pops out at somebody.

You got a chuckle out of me, Guru. To clarify, my user name represents truth in advertising (as well as a matter of some pride, since it represents a rather recent change in my status) and is not meant to be an attempt to elicit pity. Truth be told I spent many years in the computer industry and even now serve as webmaster for two non-profits.

DxDiag.txt

Guru,

DriverTuner now tells me I'm all up to date (yay!) but the problem still persists (boo!)

Any more things to check?

and what did the link to ATI say? The others might be right because of your OS but there is no harm in going to the horse's mouth.

Interestingly, ATI now throws you to the DriverTuner program as well. ..hmmm.

At any rate the version number on my installed driver matches the latest available

Ok, read this Kb article. There are other support articles. Go to the top of this page, select support and just follow the options.

I know you reinstalled the program but sometimes it has to be done several times. You might want to try again.

If all else fails, remove the program using Revo Uninstaller in the MODERATE Mode only. Select to uninstall any left overs found. Reboot, keep the antivirus off and DO NOT plug in the device. Install the program to an administrator account and reboot. Plug in the USB device and try again.

Done uninstall - install - repair four times now. The only difference is now I get four separate C++ Runtime errors that pop up.

Still no joy

Trivia question: should the little dongle get warm? It's not uncomfortably so but it's easily as warm as the laptop.

Yes, the device gets warm.

Have you tried the uninstall/reinstall using the Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate Mode? If it still doesn't work, you MAY need to repair (or upgrade) Vista.

Edited by sknis

Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Yes, I used Revo (neat tool, thanx) for the first two installs ... the second two I just used the native .

It may take me some time to find Vista disks to try a repair, but I'll do some searching

I give up.

Vista checks out just fine...everything is fine but I can't get this program to function.

Just for the heck of it I installed it on an old XP machine and, while it would run and even pick up the feed from the VHS it caused a catastrophic fail on the computer as I got to the burn DVD stage.

Guru, thank you so much for your encouragement and ideas of things to try. I just put you on my list of "Internet Heroes." (It doesn't pay anything but on the positive side the colored leotards are optional).

I have something else I want you to try, but i will send through the Instant Messaging here. Look for it in the upper right ;)

post-39730-0-32018500-1400623170_thumb.jpg