chanowski

Easy Vhs To Dvd Doesn't Recognize The Usb Device

Question

My Roxio app, Easy VHS to DVD for Mac no longer recognizes the USB connection. I'm running Maverics 10.9.3 and it worked previously on my Mac G5.

I've stopped the app, disconnected the usb and restarted. Connecting the USB it still doesn't recognize the connection. . Is there any newer vhs to dvd apps

for Mac? I'd like to have an app that allows me to capture VHS tapes into my Mac and convert them to digital DVD formats. .

16 answers to this question

I'm in the same boat. Since I upgraded to Mavericks, my VHS to DVD application says my iMac has a USB 1.0 connection and won't boot. Impossible, All the intel iMacs are USB 2.0.

So what are we to do?

Go with some other companies product? I'm not going to degrade my system. Why did the installation of Mavericks make Roxio's Easy VHS to DVD inoperable?

It sounds to me like something didn't go right with the Mavericks update. Try running that updater again or run Disc Warrior if you have it.

I've had it suggested to me that this could be a driver issue with the USB connection. I've never had to upgrade device drivers on my IMAC so I'm unclear how this incompatibility could happen. What could possibly have gone wrong with the Maverics update? I've since installed the available updates and the Roxio software still doesn't recognize the USB connection.

Have you tried launching the capture application before inserting the USB stick? When the USB stick is inserted does it appear as an item when selecting USB in the Hardware section of System Information? You access System Information by selecting "About this Mac" in the Apple menu and then clicking More Info... in the window that appears and then clicking System Report....

There are other video capture products sold that work with Macs, but only Roxio's software works with the Roxio USB device.

• Like 1

Yes, I've tried starting the app without the USB connection in place and the result is the same. I get the window appearing instructing me to connect the USB hardware. The only open is the eXit of the app.

I've looked for other video capture apps but I don't see how the VHS device connect to my computer? I'm certainly not married to the Roxio app but it worked so well earlier and I'd prefer not to have to purchase a new application.

As for other brands, they all need a USB (or Firewire) device to work with a computer. For instance, there are older DV camcorders that have digital passthrough in which the VCR connects to the camcorder which digitizes the video and sends it in DV format to the computer over Firewire. The devices that use a USB stick are similar to Roxio's but the ones I've seen cost more. I have a portable Sony Blu-ray disc burner that can capture video to disc without connecting to a computer. Similarly there are standalone DVD recorders that copy video from tapes to disc without use of a computer. Those, like DV camcorders, are probably only available used. I think I actually have at least 6 devices that can convert VHS tapes to digital, but I do this work as a service for clients.

The Roxio unit you have should be working. I can't explain why it isn't.

• Like 1

One more obvious thing: you are connecting directly to the Mac's USB port and not through a USB hub, right?

• Like 1

can you tell me if the portable devices have access to edit as well as just burn directly from the VHS tape. The Roxio app allowed me to make certain changes to the final digital output. It would be great to be able to

digitally capture the old VHS tapes I have but I'd miss the editing options. .

If you use a device that captures to the Mac then you can do editing after the capture. I have a standalone Pioneer DVD recorder that has a built-in hard drive so I can edit with it (without a computer) before burning to DVD. With my Sony Blu-Ray recorder I need to burn a disc and then copy the video to Toast for editing. Both the Pioneer and The Sony record in MPEG 2 format which eliminates the need for Toast's encoding when making the final DVD. This is a bit technical but with those devices (neither of which are connected to a computer) I record the video in "VR mode" to rewritable discs. Then I use the Toast Media Browser to extract the videos from the discs, then trim them in the Toast editor prepare a menu and burn the final DVD. This only makes sense if you expect to do a lot of this. Otherwise my first choice for ultimately making a DVD is a used DV camcorder with analog-to-digital pass through. The Roxio device is a best choice if you want videos for computer playback or upload to YouTube or other sharing sites. That's because the Roxio device records in the popular h.264 format when you choose Medium quality setting (if you have the Roxio Video Capture app and not the Easy VHS to DVD Capture app). I'm sorry this is so confusing. It matters most how you plan to play the final video. Smart TVs can sometimes play a video from you Mac's hard drive over your home network. That requires h.264 format. So many choices and no one thing is best for all.

• Like 1

My Roxio VHS to DVD for Mac all of a sudden shut down last night, after using it for only 2 weeks successfully. It's the same problem as stated here. It tells me to connect the device to any USB 2.0 port, which I have done in all imaginable ways possible. Why did it quit when I made no updates or changes to my computer? The USB ports work with every other device I have, just not the Roxio device. Roxio has not returned a message to my technical support complaint. For the price, it should last longer than 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

My Roxio VHS to DVD for Mac all of a sudden shut down last night, after using it for only 2 weeks successfully. It's the same problem as stated here. It tells me to connect the device to any USB 2.0 port, which I have done in all imaginable ways possible. Why did it quit when I made no updates or changes to my computer? The USB ports work with every other device I have, just not the Roxio device. Roxio has not returned a message to my technical support complaint. For the price, it should last longer than 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

It's a mystery. Have you completely shut down your Mac and waited about 10 seconds before restarting?

After years (on and off) trying to fix this problem I am finally giving up. I got only about 5 of nearly 50 tapes converted before it stopped working. I have reinstalled OSes, changed versions, restored to original, swapped ports, disconnected everything but the dongle, replaced the dongle, replaced the tape player, etc. The only conclusion I have left is that the USB ports are somehow damaged, especially since some users have said it stopped working in the middle of use and then got the dreaded "no 2.0" error message trying to reboot. Funny that the ports still work for every device I've ever plugged into the port else wise. If it stops working, that's the end of it. I see no success stories of people getting it to work again.

• Like 1

I have gone through all of these steps with nothing resulting. I'd be curious to know if you just purchased a new copy of the application in order to replace the dongle? I didn't want to drop another $70 to purchase the app just to get the connection. . I guess I just decided that Roxio had given up on this software years ago since they've not provided an upgrade in years. There has got to be another method of connecting a VHS player to a USB port in order to capture those old tapes digitally. .

As much as I want this to work, I'm using a competing product now that works as well and included both Mac and PC software. The dongle also allows third party software to use the signal. Too bad this software can't use the dongle. It's looking for the Roxio dongle. I'll come back when Roxio has a major update, but, for now, it's been 4 years with no investment in the software for Macintosh.

If i had known all these problems i did not bought the device. Indeed they did not updated the software to the latest software of OS-X .

I use El Capitan and the device does not work !!!

I will return it to the shop.