• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BobAbilene

BobAbilene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

I am running Mac OS 10.9.3, Toast 10.0.9, TiVo Transfer 2.0 on a MacBook Pro. I have a 2 hour show that I cannot get to burn more than 1 hour, or less. I have direct connect with Ethernet to the router. I have tried several different shows with similar results. I realize I may need a DVD double layer. It does not give me the option of changing to double layer. I have a USB Apple Floppy drive that I have burned Double Layer before. When I play the show with Toast Video Player, it shows only 1 hour, from TiVo transfer, but that shows 2:04 time, 5.1GB. The TiVo DVR on TiVo Transfer shows 2:04 time and 10.7GB. I assume that there is a translation from the DVR to TiVo Library Recordings. Any ideas or hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Does the entire video play on the Mac before you try to make the disc? There are times when a problem with the file itself prevents and entire transfer.

Presuming you have the entire video on your Mac you shouldn't have trouble burning the entire length to disc presuming it will fit. If this is a standard-definition video then I'd be surprised that a 2-hour video would exceed the size of a single-layer disc. But if it did you can choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. Then select the resulting .toast file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. Toast can apply its Fit-to-DVD compression to make it fit the single-layer disc.

If this is a HD video then you'll need to have Toast encode it to standard definition to fit two hours on either a single- or dual-layer disc. If you are wanting to keep this in high definition you'll need to break it into segments. I'm not sure of the maximum of TiVo HD video that will fit a single-layer disc but it probably is about 30-minutes. In this case you need to use the Blu-ray video setting which requires the Blu-ray plugin. You can break it into segments by marking start and end points in the Toast Video Player editor.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 BobAbilene

BobAbilene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Digital Guru,
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. This is a HD program (World War - History Channel Series) When transfered to Mac, it shows 2 hrs in listing, but when launched with the player, it shows 1 hr and half the MB size. I don't see any way to decrease the resolution, only to move from TiVo to Mac. It is strange it shows 2 hrs, but plays 1 hr. The MB size is 1/2 of TiVo on the Mac. Strange.
Thus, I am not able to get to Toast to modify resolution nor Save as Disk Image with a full 2 hrs. I don't see how to break into segments, since it only appears to tranfer the first hour, only. This is the same for several of the 3 episodes of the series.
I am not sure if it is solveable. Maybe to upgrade to Toast 11, but not sure if that will work.
Any further ideas???
Thanks again. I would like to share the series with family that is interested in history.

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

I believe you've encountered what happens sometimes for me. The entire video isn't transferred from the TiVo probably due to some break in the video stream. There is nothing that can be done other than having the TiVo record another showing and hope that one completely transfers.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 BobAbilene

BobAbilene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

I have tried this on another TiVo setup. I believe that there is a limit on the length of transfer with a HD, 2 hr show. I was able to transfer and record on portion of the show for 1hr, 27 minutes, with 3.9 GB on a standard 4.7GB DVD. It appears to me that there is some limit and that the option of a DVD/Dual Layer is not an option. I did not see how to reduce it to standard def. Just an update from me. Thanks again for the info and sharing.

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Are you transferring to your Mac's hard drive? It sounds like you may be transferring to an external drive that is formatted for PCs with a 4 GB file-size limit. I have no trouble transferring larger HD videos to my Mac.

#7 BobAbilene

BobAbilene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

This is to my MacBook Pro SSD HD. Just as an FYI, I have been using Mac's since the Lisa and Mac +, was Apple Certified Technician for 12+ years, taught a 4 day, $1000 course to become an Apple Certified Tech to educators, 18 times to 140 people, back in the late 1990's/early 2000-2001. I have backed out of that these days and retired. If you google "Mac Plus Web Server Kolquist" you will find reference to my Mac+ Web server that had it's clock set 5 years in the future to display it's Y2K functioning. Not bragging, well, almost!

#8 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

I have no explanation for why the transfer is limited to 4 GB on your Mac. This is very puzzling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users