• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

win 98
ecdc 5 platinum

original problem = system crashed when i tried to burn cd

updated to ecdc 5.35.1; also installed pxengine update, and restarted pc

now - can't add .wav files from hard drive to a new project (also keep getting engine initialization error messages)

hellllllllppppp!

thanks

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

Hello Lynn,

If your system is working well and then something breaks, it's rare for that problem to be fixed by updating. You end up by updating a broken system, and it's still broken.

May I suggest that you uninstall ECDC with the Control Panel add/remove menu, then dry-clean it with the Roxio uninstaller ROXIZAP (see the message with the golden arches /\/\ pinned at the top of the forum to get Roxizap), and then reinstall it again.

A good install should solve your problems, and Roxizap cleans out the broken files and/or registry entries which would hinder a proper install.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#3 lynnbb

lynnbb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

View PostBrendon, on Sep 16 2006, 12:08 AM, said:

Hello Lynn,

If your system is working well and then something breaks, it's rare for that problem to be fixed by updating. You end up by updating a broken system, and it's still broken.

May I suggest that you uninstall ECDC with the Control Panel add/remove menu, then dry-clean it with the Roxio uninstaller ROXIZAP (see the message with the golden arches /\/\ pinned at the top of the forum to get Roxizap), and then reinstall it again.

A good install should solve your problems, and Roxizap cleans out the broken files and/or registry entries which would hinder a proper install.

thanks for the advice, but that brings up another problem - can't find original install disc

:)

#4 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

View Postlynnbb, on Sep 16 2006, 02:43 PM, said:

thanks for the advice, but that brings up another problem - can't find original install disc

:)
Try eBay - there are still some copies being sold - usually being sold on by someone who upgraded.

Roxio discontinued support for ECDC 5 on 4Nov04, and discontinued support for Version 6 24Aug06, so there isn't much liklihood of Roxio comming up with a replacement.

Lynn

#5 lynnbb

lynnbb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

View Postlynn98109, on Sep 16 2006, 02:07 PM, said:

Try eBay - there are still some copies being sold - usually being sold on by someone who upgraded.

Roxio discontinued support for ECDC 5 on 4Nov04, and discontinued support for Version 6 24Aug06, so there isn't much liklihood of Roxio comming up with a replacement.

Lynn

ok, found disc, followed all your instrucions, upgraded to 5.3.5.10, still the same problem

?????

Lynn  :)

#6 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

View Postlynnbb, on Sep 17 2006, 09:39 PM, said:

ok, found disc, followed all your instrucions, upgraded to 5.3.5.10, still the same problem

?????

Lynn :)

There are 2 updates, Basic or  Platinum, did you  apply  the right one for the version you have?.

#7 lynnbb

lynnbb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

View Postogdens, on Sep 17 2006, 06:37 PM, said:

There are 2 updates, Basic or  Platinum, did you  apply  the right one for the version you have?.

yes

#8 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,420 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

Okay Lynn,

It had to be the correct one - the other wouldn't have worked.

Okay, I think you've thoroughly ruled out anything actually broken in the Easy CD Creator system.
You're using Win98, so that rules out the insidious SP2.
I think all we are left with is interference from other programs, or something broken in Windows98.

You say your problem is with WAV files, or at least that's where you've noticed a problem.
(1) can your system still decode WAV files? Can you play them with Mplayer2.exe?
(2) what other music programs (name and version, please) do you have on your system
(3) can you play WAV files with any of them?
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#9 lynnbb

lynnbb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:31 AM

View PostBrendon, on Sep 17 2006, 09:20 PM, said:

Okay Lynn,

It had to be the correct one - the other wouldn't have worked.

Okay, I think you've thoroughly ruled out anything actually broken in the Easy CD Creator system.
You're using Win98, so that rules out the insidious SP2.
I think all we are left with is interference from other programs, or something broken in Windows98.

You say your problem is with WAV files, or at least that's where you've noticed a problem.
(1) can your system still decode WAV files? Can you play them with Mplayer2.exe?
(2) what other music programs (name and version, please) do you have on your system
(3) can you play WAV files with any of them?

1   yes and yes
2   on hd but disabled
realplayer 10
nero 7
musicmatch 9
3   yes - all of them

and something strange =

a,  can easily access wav files thru soundstream function, but not music cd project (using show all files) AND

b.  if I place the wav files on my desktop music cd project works perfectly, as long as they're not in a folder!!!  

?????????

thanks

Lynn

#10 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:51 AM

View Postlynnbb, on Sep 19 2006, 04:31 AM, said:

1   yes and yes
2   on hd but disabled
realplayer 10
nero 7
musicmatch 9
3   yes - all of them

Lynn
As mentioned in FREQUENT ANSWERS (pinned to the top of the Forum), Realplayer 9 and above, Musicmatch, and WinPlayer 9 and 10 are ALL known to "break" ECDC 5 - they re-write some of the files needed for the program to run but leave the name the same.

I think it might be time to use the other programs instsead, even tho you can take them all out and reinstall ECDC 5.  (If you have WinPlayer 9, it doesn't come completely back out short of reformatting the Hard Drive.)

Lynn

#11 lynnbb

lynnbb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:13 AM

View Postlynn98109, on Sep 19 2006, 03:51 AM, said:

As mentioned in FREQUENT ANSWERS (pinned to the top of the Forum), Realplayer 9 and above, Musicmatch, and WinPlayer 9 and 10 are ALL known to "break" ECDC 5 - they re-write some of the files needed for the program to run but leave the name the same.

I think it might be time to use the other programs instsead, even tho you can take them all out and reinstall ECDC 5.  (If you have WinPlayer 9, it doesn't come completely back out short of reformatting the Hard Drive.)

Lynn

too bad, since ecdc 5 makes crossfade so easy

oh, well.....

thanks for all your help with this

Lynn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users