Jump to content

Roxio Community

Bundled Roxio 4 with XP


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John S

John S

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:15 PM

I created a DATA disc with Roxio 4, which was part of my bundled software with XP. Afterwards when trying to open any files on it I get this.


File conversion and select encoding popup window.

All of my DATA has some kind of encoding and I am in deep "you know what"

Please help and send to

Edited by John S, 19 September 2006 - 12:00 PM.


#2 ogdens

ogdens

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lucknow, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:49 PM

View PostJohn S, on Sep 18 2006, 05:15 PM, said:

I created a DATA disc with Roxio 4, which was part of my bundled software with XP. Afterwards when trying to open any files on it I get this.


File conversion and select encoding popup window.

All of my DATA has some kind of encoding and I am in deep "you know what"





First....ECDC Version 4 does not run under XP, so if you did you were really lucky.

(is this a  new purchase) Version 4 software has to be at least 6 years old.

Lets assume for a moment that you really did  use ECDC 4 to make Data CD tell us "what program in Version 4 did you use in to make this CD"

Their are 2 choices Data CD Project or Direct CD.

[Edited to delete email copy]

Edited by lynn98109, 19 September 2006 - 03:42 PM.


#3 lynn98109

lynn98109

    Digital Master

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

Also, this is a public Forum, searched by google and other search engines, which in turn are searched by spammers seeking to "harvest" email addresses for spamming purposes.

I'd suggest you edit your post to remove the email address - if it isn't already too late.

Posts are answered publicly so everyone gets the benefit of the answer.

Lynn

#4 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

View PostJohn S, on Sep 18 2006, 05:15 PM, said:

I created a DATA disc with Roxio 4, which was part of my bundled software with XP. Afterwards when trying to open any files on it I get this.
File conversion and select encoding popup window.

All of my DATA has some kind of encoding and I am in deep "you know what"

Please help and send to jls45@charter.net
When you look at the disc in Windows Explorer, does the directory/file listing look like you expect it to look?  Does the disc read on any other system?  Can you do a screen-shot of the pop-up window you get and put it on a server and paste a link to it here so we can see what you're getting?  Is this disc a CD-R (write once) or CD-RW (erasable) disc?  Did you try to read from the disc after initially writing it, and did it work then?  It's probably fair to assume that you deleted the original files off your HD after writing this disc?

Let us know.
Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity.  Lick it once and you'll suck forever.  - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 7800 video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD  | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer  | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 1100 printer | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

#5 John S

John S

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:59 AM

Create DATA CD

#6 John S

John S

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:24 PM

View Postd_deweywright, on Sep 19 2006, 09:40 AM, said:

When you look at the disc in Windows Explorer, does the directory/file listing look like you expect it to look?  Does the disc read on any other system?  Can you do a screen-shot of the pop-up window you get and put it on a server and paste a link to it here so we can see what you're getting?  Is this disc a CD-R (write once) or CD-RW (erasable) disc?  Did you try to read from the disc after initially writing it, and did it work then?  It's probably fair to assume that you deleted the original files off your HD after writing this disc?

Let us know.
Yes it looks like I would suspect.
Disc will not read on any other system.
Will not allow me to screenshot.
DVD+RW, did not check  readability (I know, dum-ba).

Due to teenager trying to hide UHHH stuff lost some files and reloaded from disk. Now disc and files from hard drive are unreadable.

Screen basicly looks like this.


Select the encoding that makes your document readable.
Text Encoding

() Windows (Default)    () MS-DOS     () Other encoding         (over here is list of languages  ie...Korean,)


Than window with weird symbols

View Postlynn98109, on Sep 18 2006, 03:38 PM, said:

Also, this is a public Forum, searched by google and other search engines, which in turn are searched by spammers seeking to "harvest" email addresses for spamming purposes.

I'd suggest you edit your post to remove the email address - if it isn't already too late.

Posts are answered publicly so everyone gets the benefit of the answer.

Lynn

Thanks Lynne.

Edited by John S, 19 September 2006 - 12:23 PM.


#7 ogdens

ogdens

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lucknow, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

View PostJohn S, on Sep 19 2006, 04:24 PM, said:

Yes it looks like I would suspect.
Disc will not read on any other system.
Will not allow me to screenshot.
DVD+RW, did not check  readability (I know, dum-ba).

Due to teenager trying to hide UHHH stuff lost some files and reloaded from disk. Now disc and files from hard drive are unreadable.

Screen basicly looks like this.


Select the encoding that makes your document readable.
Text Encoding

() Windows (Default)    () MS-DOS     () Other encoding         (over here is list of languages  ie...Korean,)


Than window with weird symbols



Thanks Lynne.

Hold on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      You said  "DVD+RW, did not check  readability (I know, dum-ba)."....are we on the same page here.   Now its a DVD. Please explain, ECDC 4 does not support DVD, just CD.

#8 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

View PostJohn S, on Sep 19 2006, 04:24 PM, said:

Yes it looks like I would suspect.
Disc will not read on any other system.
Will not allow me to screenshot.
DVD+RW, did not check  readability (I know, dum-ba).

Due to teenager trying to hide UHHH stuff lost some files and reloaded from disk. Now disc and files from hard drive are unreadable.

Screen basicly looks like this.
Select the encoding that makes your document readable.
Text Encoding

() Windows (Default)    () MS-DOS     () Other encoding         (over here is list of languages  ie...Korean,)
Than window with weird symbols
Thanks Lynne.
From that last part, it sounds like you are trying to open the files directly from the disc (is it CD or DVD?) by double-clicking on them.  What happens if you simply try to drag-and-drop them to a folder on your HD (copying them) instead of opening them?  Do they copy okay?  What types of files are they?  .TXT?  .DOC?  .JPG?  .??? something else?  If it's the "something else" variety, then it would sound like you haven't reinstalled the application that would normally open them.

Let us know.
Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity.  Lick it once and you'll suck forever.  - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 7800 video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD  | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer  | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 1100 printer | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

#9 lynn98109

lynn98109

    Digital Master

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:49 PM

A DVD/RW, eh?

If you want to KEEP something, NEVER use RW media.  Whereas R media has the pits and lands (the physiscal equivalent of magnetic 0's and 1's) created by "cooking" a dye with the laser, RW media has the pits and lands created by melting and re-crystalizing an aluminum alloy.  The aluminum alloy promptly starts to de-crystalize, taking the data with it.

Perhaps Dave or Tony will have a better idea, but I'm starting to suspect that it's time to see if the recovery programs like cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) can see anything.  Both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards, and both have "trial" versions which enable you to see if anything is there that can be recovered BEFORE you have to pay.

Good luck.

Lynn




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users