• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BFW

BFW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:08 AM

I inherited a Dell Latitude D600 'puter running XP here at work; it came bundled with Roxio Easy CD 5; the version is 5.3.4.21 SP8.  On my home Sony Vaio computer, I run Millenium and it came bundled with Adaptec Easy CD.  

I have never had any problems with the home computer; this Dell is giving me fits with CD RW's.  Two days ago I had the CD RW in the Dell computer up and running fine; yesterday I got the foloowing screen prompt when I tried to access the CD:

'A disc has been inserted that requires the Adaptec UDF reader.  This set up wizard installs the Adaptec UDF reader for Windows 95/Windows NT.  Do you wish to continue"

I said yes yesterday, and now the CD is re-named UDFREADER and the only files that show are autorun and UDFRINST, yet Easy CD says the CD contains 576mb which is about right.  The problem is I can no longer see the files and I can't access them.

I downloaded a Dell driver fix I saw elsewhere in this forum :  R86898.  I don't want to install this or do anything else until I hear from someone either off this post or from Roxio.  I tried Rox-ann but it would not allow me to fully describe the problem.

Can anyone out there please help me - the data on this CD is critical.

#2 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:44 AM

Take a look at this thread - http://forums.suppor...?showtopic=9505 - granted, it is Version 6, and the Pacsket-Writing program is Drag2Disc instead of DirectCD, but it is otherwise applicable.

You might first try looking at those CD-RWs in your home computer, to see if they can still be read.  If so, use DataProject to copy the information to CD-Rs, and finalize the CD-Rs.

However, I suspect your CD-RWs have faded to the point you may need a recovery program such as cdroller (http:www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (http://www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards.  Both have a "trial" version which lets you see if they con recover anything before you have to pay.

Let us know how it goes.

Lynn

#3 BFW

BFW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the quick answer; now that you mention it, I believe this happened before and I was able to still read the CD on the home computer.  The only problem is, it is not running.  I beleve my problems are all associated with this laptop.  

I see you respond to a lot of users; Do you work for Roxio? If so, I may want to ask you some questions about other Roxio products dealing with file storage and backup.

View Postlynn98109, on Sep 19 2006, 09:44 AM, said:

Take a look at this thread - http://forums.suppor...?showtopic=9505 - granted, it is Version 6, and the Pacsket-Writing program is Drag2Disc instead of DirectCD, but it is otherwise applicable.

You might first try looking at those CD-RWs in your home computer, to see if they can still be read.  If so, use DataProject to copy the information to CD-Rs, and finalize the CD-Rs.

However, I suspect your CD-RWs have faded to the point you may need a recovery program such as cdroller (http:www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (http://www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards.  Both have a "trial" version which lets you see if they con recover anything before you have to pay.

Let us know how it goes.

Lynn

#4 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:48 AM

No, I do not work for Roxio.  The few people who post and DO work for Roxio have a roxio logo by their names.  I simply spend time here that probably should be spent elsewhre.  :)

I have burned my files from MyDocs and the Zip drives (those before July, anyway) to CD-R (and the accursed WinXP SP2 ate 3 Zip discs and a Zip drive in the process - I detest WinXP).  It is strongly advised to use the "eject" command from the dropdown menu before removing anything from WinXP.  And the WInXP is Ghosted with Norton Ghost.  If I ever get the courage to move the Hard Drive from the Win98 SE temporaraily to the WinXP SP2, I will Ghost it also.

BackUp My PC (BUMP) requires the program being up-and-running before it restores things (experience questions if it does then either), whereas Ghost will replace an entire Hard Drive setup (I'm told; I haven't done it).  So will Acronis TrueImage.

That's really all I know.

Lynn

#5 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

View Postlynn98109, on Sep 19 2006, 02:48 PM, said:

No, I do not work for Roxio. The few people who post and DO work for Roxio have a roxio logo by their names. I simply spend time here that probably should be spent elsewhre. :)
Lynn

We like your company here in the forum!
"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,088 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

View PostBFW, on Sep 19 2006, 10:26 AM, said:

Thanks for the quick answer; now that you mention it, I believe this happened before and I was able to still read the CD on the home computer.  The only problem is, it is not running.  I beleve my problems are all associated with this laptop.
BFW,
It looks as if you have version 2.x or 3.x of Direct CD installed on your Vaio.
Windows XP does not like the drivers which run those early versions of Direct CD, so it won't display the special areas where your data are living. All it will show you is the UDFreader, which won't work because XP doesn't like it.

You have three options, if the data on the CD are critical:

1) get the VAIO going again, and then use Adaptec CD Creator's Data Disc project to write the data to an UNFORMATTED CD. That disc will be readable in any PC.

2) if you can't get the Vaio running again, you'll need to obtain one of those recovery programs and attempt to recover the data off the CD to another system.
or
3) attach the Vaio's hard drive to another system and read them off there.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users