• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jamjnr

jamjnr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

I have a lot of cl4 files created on a WIN98 machine with Easy CD Creator 4.0.5. Now I have a WINXP SP2 machine and I know that Easy CD Creator 4 does not work with my current OS. Since I have so many files in the cl4 format, what version(s) can I upgrade to to preserve the files? Most important thing is to keep the files in a newer format, so I don't care if I have to pay (although free is always nice). I have searched the lists and googled for months and not found anything that matches my problem.

TIA for the help.

#2 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:03 PM

I'm not sure why you kept the .cl4 files (unless, like me, you are a packrat), since I suspect you  won't be re-burning the CDs.

There are basicly three approaches:
  • Find a used computer, cheap, that you can install ECDC 4 on (what became of your old one?)
  • A lot of the information can be extracted by opening the file in notepad and ignoring the squares
  • The files can be converted to jewlcases with jewelcase creator (which will function as an independent program, altho it objects both when opening and closing that it can't find the rest of the program)
Unfortunately, only ECDC 4 can read .CL4 files.

Lynn

#3 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,418 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

View Postjamjnr, on Sep 19 2006, 04:38 PM, said:

I have a lot of cl4 files created on a WIN98 machine with Easy CD Creator 4.0.5. Now I have a WINXP SP2 machine and I know that Easy CD Creator 4 does not work with my current OS. Since I have so many files in the cl4 format, what version(s) can I upgrade to to preserve the files? Most important thing is to keep the files in a newer format, so I don't care if I have to pay (although free is always nice). I have searched the lists and googled for months and not found anything that matches my problem.
Jamjnr,

What exactly are you hoping to do with your old .CL4 files, please?

Are you aware that they are only project lists? They list the names of files or tracks which are to be recorded by a Creator 4 project. They don't hold the actual files or tracks, just their names.
If you were coming back from the shopping mall .CL4 files are your shopping lists, not the packages of goods you've bought.

The only use for old saved Creator 4 project files is to run Creator 4 again and burn the same disc, but to do this you must have the same source files still in their old place on the computer, or the same audio tracks available to Creator 4. It's no use having the old shopping list if the articles are no longer sold, or the mall has been replaced by a freeway.

.CL4 files can't be used in other versions of Easy CD Creator, only version 4.

View Postlynn98109, on Sep 19 2006, 05:03 PM, said:

[*]The files can be converted to jewlcases with jewelcase creator (which will function as an independent program, altho it objects both when opening and closing that it can't find the rest of the program)

Lynn

Lynn,

Would you tell me how to convert the .CL4 files to jewelcases please?  

I sent a number of CDs away without inserts when I didn't have a printer, but I still have the .CL4s for them.
It would be really lovely to print and send the inserts to the person after all this time.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#4 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

View PostBrendon, on Sep 19 2006, 09:21 PM, said:

Lynn,

I sent a number of CDs away without inserts when I didn't have a printer, but I still have the .CL4s for them.
It would be really lovely to print and send the inserts to the person after all this time.
I just opened JCC and don't see an option to import from the .CL4  :)

I could've SWORN that was what I did, but maybe it WAS off the CDs.

It's been a LONG time, and the part I remember clearly is I had never printed anything (didn't have a printer then) so had been using the .CL4's for tracklisting when playing the CD-Rs - and when I could no longer open them with ECDC 5 I was frantic.

(And thanks again for your help on that, Brendon.)

Lynn

#5 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,830 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:53 AM

View Postlynn98109, on Sep 20 2006, 02:25 AM, said:

I just opened JCC and don't see an option to import from the .CL4  :)

I could've SWORN that was what I did, but maybe it WAS off the CDs.

It's been a LONG time, and the part I remember clearly is I had never printed anything (didn't have a printer then) so had been using the .CL4's for tracklisting when playing the CD-Rs - and when I could no longer open them with ECDC 5 I was frantic.

(And thanks again for your help on that, Brendon.)

Lynn
Lynn, the only thing I can think of is that maybe you're thinking of opening .CL3 files in JCC.  The files from ECDC 3.5 had both the CD project info, and the Jewel Case information in them.  When ECDC 4 came out, the jewel case files became separate .JWL files.  I'm sure I never tried opening a .CL3 file with Jewel Case Creator.  Just postulating...
Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity.  Lick it once and you'll suck forever.  - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 7800 video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD  | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer  | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 1100 printer | Microtek i900 Scanner]

#6 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:34 AM

My first burner came with ECDC 4 (it was being liquidated on eBay) - I'm not an early adopter.

Then (briefly) Version 6, replaced by ECDC 5 as soon as I could get it.

I had been under the misimpression it would be improved each time, and it turned out ECDC 5 is an improved form of ECDC 4.  After that, all bets are off.

Lynn

#7 jamjnr

jamjnr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:20 AM

View PostBrendon, on Sep 19 2006, 08:21 PM, said:

Jamjnr,

What exactly are you hoping to do with your old .CL4 files, please?

Are you aware that they are only project lists? They list the names of files or tracks which are to be recorded by a Creator 4 project. They don't hold the actual files or tracks, just their names.
If you were coming back from the shopping mall .CL4 files are your shopping lists, not the packages of goods you've bought.

The only use for old saved Creator 4 project files is to run Creator 4 again and burn the same disc, but to do this you must have the same source files still in their old place on the computer, or the same audio tracks available to Creator 4. It's no use having the old shopping list if the articles are no longer sold, or the mall has been replaced by a freeway.

.CL4 files can't be used in other versions of Easy CD Creator, only version 4.
Lynn,

Brendon--

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid you were going to say that my CL4 files were not compatible with any other version. Oh well. I was hoping I would not have to recreate the shopping lists (there are lots). I do still have the files, but to have the lists would've been easier than recreating them because I no longer have the cds that were created and would need to go by memory to figure out what was on what.

Lynn--

You're right, I am a bit of a pack rat. I do still have the old computer and will have to figure out a workaround, I was just hoping an upgrade would be a quick and clean way to solve my problem.

Thanks to you both for the info and the opportunity to pick your brains.

Jamjnr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users