Roxio Community

Help! What Is Roxio Directcd And Why Is It Harassing Me?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nelsondewey

nelsondewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

For quite some time, whenever I start my computer, I have been getting a small, yellow popup near the taskbar, informing me: "Devices or applications disabled.   DirectCD will cause Windows to become unstable. Windows has prevented these drivers from loading.  Click here for more details."
When I "click here", I get a Windows "Help and Support Center" window. It mentions DirectCD - Roxio, Inc... and includes a link to Roxio.com.
I have searched the Roxio site and can find no mention of DirectCD. I have written to Roxio and have been directed to phone tech support. There, I have listened to the Roxio menu... but there is no option for DirectCD.

I have put up with this nuisance - I don't know why - for many months. I finally stumbled across this forum. I'll try again...

I just want to get the thing off my system.

Help!
Please!
Someone...?

Nelson

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

View Postnelsondewey, on Jan 17 2006, 01:04 PM, said:

For quite some time, whenever I start my computer, I have been getting a small, yellow popup near the taskbar, informing me: "Devices or applications disabled.   DirectCD will cause Windows to become unstable. Windows has prevented these drivers from loading.  Click here for more details."
When I "click here", I get a Windows "Help and Support Center" window. It mentions DirectCD - Roxio, Inc... and includes a link to Roxio.com.
I have searched the Roxio site and can find no mention of DirectCD. I have written to Roxio and have been directed to phone tech support. There, I have listened to the Roxio menu... but there is no option for DirectCD.

I have put up with this nuisance - I don't know why - for many months. I finally stumbled across this forum. I'll try again...
I just want to get the thing off my system.

Help!
Please!
Someone...?

Nelson

Direct CD was a program contained in earlier versions of ECDC 4 & 5 (maybe even 3).

Do you have ANY Roxio  programs installed on your sytem?.

Edited by ogdens, 17 January 2006 - 10:37 AM.

#3 nelsondewey

nelsondewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:38 AM

View Postogdens, on Jan 17 2006, 10:32 AM, said:

Do you have ANY Roxio  programs installed on your sytem?.

None that I'm aware of. I just did a(nother) search - for Roxio and for Direct - and had no hits.
I'm guessing that I may have had a Roxio program at one time and deleted it incompletely, thus causing this problem.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:45 AM

View Postnelsondewey, on Jan 17 2006, 01:38 PM, said:

None that I'm aware of. I just did a(nother) search - for Roxio and for Direct - and had no hits.
I'm guessing that I may have had a Roxio program at one time and deleted it incompletely, thus causing this problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, try running this  http://tools.roxio.c...ols/roxizap.exe    it should get rid of any left over pieces of Roxio.

#5 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

View Postnelsondewey, on Jan 17 2006, 10:38 AM, said:

Thanks for the reply.

check if you have anything for Adeptec in your computer - that's what it used to be a long time ago.

Also, check out the FREQUENT ANSWERS post on ECDC 5 for info on roxizap, which is a program designed to get rid of remnants of Version 5 and earlier - please note the warning about GoBack if you have GoBack.

Lynn

#6 nelsondewey

nelsondewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thanks to both of you. I'll try what you suggest.
Nelson

#7 nelsondewey

nelsondewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:20 AM

I used Roxizap. No noticeable result; I've rebooted twice and still get the popup window.

"Adaptec" does sound familiar, so I assume I had it on my system at one time.
I have a habit of collecting software ("just in case")... but I'm trying to clean house.

I searched my drives for Adaptec AND Adeptec and got no results.

I'm open to more suggestions...
Nelson

#8 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:29 AM

View Postnelsondewey, on Jan 17 2006, 11:20 AM, said:

I used Roxizap. No noticeable result; I've rebooted twice and still get the popup window.

"Adaptec" does sound familiar, so I assume I had it on my system at one time.
I have a habit of collecting software ("just in case")... but I'm trying to clean house.

I searched my drives for Adaptec AND Adeptec and got no results.

I'm open to more suggestions...
Nelson

You didn't try to use a CD formatted with DirectCD, did you?

And, did you check add/remove for Adaptec?

Lynn

#9 nelsondewey

nelsondewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

View Postlynn98109, on Jan 17 2006, 11:29 AM, said:

You didn't try to use a CD formatted with DirectCD, did you?

And, did you check add/remove for Adaptec?

Lynn

I looked at Add/Remove and found this: Adaptec UDF Reader
Does that sound like it might be the problem? There's no indication of how often it gets used.
I'll try removing it if it's not needed for some other program.

I'm not sure what you mean about using a CD formatted with DirectCD. (I'm not a technically adept person!)
I'm guessing DirectCD got onto my computer through bundled software - maybe with a CD writer? That being the case, I probably did write CDs with it - and may have tried to use one.

I read your Frequent Answers post on ECDC5. It suggests I need to give thought to finding out more about CD and DVD writing. I'm also wondering about reinstalling WindowsXP... along with my collection of software; the software I really need, anyway.

I do appreciate your help!
Thank you.
Nelson

#10 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:09 PM

View Postnelsondewey, on Jan 17 2006, 02:42 PM, said:

I looked at Add/Remove and found this: Adaptec UDF Reader
Does that sound like it might be the problem? There's no indication of how often it gets used.
I'll try removing it if it's not needed for some other program.

I'm not sure what you mean about using a CD formatted with DirectCD. (I'm not a technically adept person!)
I'm guessing DirectCD got onto my computer through bundled software - maybe with a CD writer? That being the case, I probably did write CDs with it - and may have tried to use one.

I read your Frequent Answers post on ECDC5. It suggests I need to give thought to finding out more about CD and DVD writing. I'm also wondering about reinstalling WindowsXP... along with my collection of software; the software I really need, anyway.

I do appreciate your help!
Thank you.
Nelson

Remove the Adaptec UDF reader, if that doesn't get rid of it try running the Roxizap again.

#11 nelsondewey

nelsondewey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

View Postogdens, on Jan 17 2006, 01:09 PM, said:

Remove the Adaptec UDF reader, if that doesn't get rid of it try running the Roxizap again.

I did that - removed UDF Reader - and the problem seems to have been resolved! Thanks.

Nelson

#12 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:31 PM

View Postnelsondewey, on Jan 17 2006, 01:20 PM, said:

I did that - removed UDF Reader - and the problem seems to have been resolved! Thanks.

Nelson

try not to click on any icon that says .udf reader when you put in a new CD - I made that mistake when I put an old CD-RW that I thought had blanked out, and was asked to install that ... of course, it still couldn't read the files that had faded out a couple years ago, but it took a while to locate and delete it - same problem you had.

Lynn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users