dd65708

Will Easy Cd & Dvd Support .roxio Files From Creator?

Question

My Windows Vista based laptop died completely and I now have a new one running Windows 8.1. My old laptop came with Roxio Creator pre-installed and I have around 10 back-up files with .ROXIO extensions which I'd like to keep on using but I don't want all the bells & whistles that come with the latest versions. Will Easy CD let me run these old back-up files and erase/write the DVDs I burned using Creator on my old laptop?

Ken

14 answers to this question

That depends on WHICH of the many backup systems you might have used, as Roxio has utilized several over the years :o

Your mention of 'Roxio' extensions does not ring a bell with me...

There is one that comes close and it looks like this:

post-39730-0-75194600-1406234378_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the built in Retrieve program is perfectly happy in Win 8.1.

Frankly there are many excellant programs out there and since Roxio changes theirs all the time, I prefer using one of those that are available ;)

Maybe if you could post a picture of one of your "backup" CD contents we might have a better idea.

It is easy to do here, HERE is some info on how.

Files with the .ROXIO extension are project files, likely from the simplified menu item "Burn Data Disc".

DD65708, can you confirm that's where they're from?

Being project files, they're unlikely to be able to use with versions of a Roxio suite other than the one you made them with.

If your discs are rewriteable Easy CD & DVD Burning will be able to erase them and write them afresh, but I don't believe it will be able to use your old .ROXIO files.

Regards,

Brendon

Burn Data Disc project files have a .ROX extension which is why I asked for more info -_-

Also Burn Data Disc, was only added in Version 14 of the Red Box (7/13). Of course the contents of OEM's vary so it could have been there before that :lol:

Yes, they are saved project files! I can't open them because I don't have the software! This is how they look in the latest W8.1. If the required software had been installed, the Roxio burning disc logo would appear next to each file.

I want to get software that would enable me to continue with the existing project files rather than have to try to build new onesfrom scratch with a different software.

post-119698-0-79608600-1406292332_thumb.gif

Thanks

I do not know what program uses ".ROXIO" extensions...

These do seem more like project files for a specific program as Brendon mentioned.

The hint is that they are tiny files 1 to 6 kb. Even small pictures take up a hundred KB or more.

Really wish you could recall the program name that made these ;)

My old laptop came with Roxio Creator pre-installed and I have around 10 back-up files with .ROXIO extensions which I'd like to keep on using but I don't want all the bells & whistles that come with the latest versions. Will Easy CD let me run these old back-up files and erase/write the DVDs I burned using Creator on my old laptop?

Ken

I can't tell you any more.

All I want to know is whether "Easy CD & DVD" with read/write these Roxio *.ROXIO project files. That's all I want to do...I don't need picture or video creating/editing software or anything else. I've searched theRoxio knowledge base and this is my last option.

Edited by dd65708

I don't know if Easy CD & DVD [the version that's Win 8 compatible] will open them or not. Someone with that product would have to check it like I did below. If not, the only other possibility would be to go with one of the NXT suites if that has the option. Again someone would need to verify that also as I don't have it loaded currently, only C2012, which is not Win 8 compatible.

In Creator 2012, from the Home screen under Data Disc [like Brendon eluded to], it shows that it would open .ROXIO project files [i don't have any to actually try and it will only save the projects with .rox extensions].

Keep in mind also, since they are 'project' files, they don't contain any of the files you added to the project. It only contains 'pointers' to the locations of the files you included in the project, so all of the files would still need to be located in the same exact path [ C:\users\..... or whatever ] as they originally were when you saved the projects in order for it to be able to load the project and burn it.

Creator 2012 screen examples

post-71-0-04841600-1406323070_thumb.jpg

This comes up listing .ROXIO when clicking on the Projects button

post-71-0-91962900-1406323074_thumb.jpg

As Larry pointed me in the right direction, YES the Easy CD and DVD Burning (V14) which is Win8 compatible will open those project files...

You can shop around for it or buy the Download from the store here WITH 30 day Return policy - just in case ;)

Let us know how you make out, you have caught our curiosity :D

dd65708,

I guess my memory must go back a bit further than Jim's if he doesn't know the .ROXIO extension. :lol:

Sorry to be so long getting back to this, but I needed to test things before giving you blanket assurances that might not hold up.

It seems that Easy CD and DVD Burning (V14) which is Win8 compatible will NOT open all .ROXIO files.

I have some old .ROXIO project backup files from EMC 8 and EMC 9, and Easy CD and DVD Burning V14 won't open my files from EMC 8

post-208-0-79292900-1406344299_thumb.jpg

The EMC 9 file opened happily, but complained that the source files has been moved or deleted. Once I restored the source directories the EMC 9 .ROXIO file was used without fuss in V14 to burn a new disc.

I suspect that there must have been some changes made to the save project format between EMC8 and EMC9.

I can send you an email address in a Private Message. Would you like to email me some of your .ROXIO files, and I'll see if they can be opened in Version 14 [the current version]?

Regards,

Brendon

Your 'Memory' started before mine, young fellow :lol:

I did not have any .ROXIO files to test with, and assumed it could based on the File Open list which shows both .ROX & .ROXIO as the project choices.

Not the first time a Program has lied to me ;)

Thanks for testing that out Brendon!!!

dd65708:

Open a couple of small files in Notepad or better yet, upload a couple here so we can see what the structure is...

dd65708:

Open a couple of small files in Notepad or better yet, upload a couple here so we can see what the structure is...

I have sent him the PM Jim. Just waiting to hear from him in email.

Brendon

I'm sorry I haven't replied...been away for a few days.

I should clarify that I'm not looking to recover the actual files, these have been archived to DVD and I have access to everything. What I am looking for is a program to open and run the project files that Roxio Creator produced and were saved as (for example) "family_photos.ROXIO" These project files automatically select the files and folders that I want to back up on DVD. Will Easy CD and DVD Burning do this???

If you read post #10 please, Easy CD & DVD Burning will read some .roxio files, but not others.

I have sent you a private message with my email address, asking you to send 2 or 3 of your .roxio files to me. When I get them I'll test them against Easy CD & DVD burning for you.

post-208-0-59329800-1406601552_thumb.jpg

Please click on the envelope icon next to the little red "1" up near the top right of your forum window to open the Private Message.

Brendon