psmallri

Remote Desktop Not Supported

Question

So, while I'm in Videowave happily creating a nice Slideshow, I save my project and then get "Remote Desktop Not Supported".

I have read as many meaningful and potentially useful posts but found nothing other than try this, try that, it might be this, it might be that etc etc etc.

Does anyone know definitively what Roxio NXT2 is looking at to make it think I'm connecting through Remote Connection.

I will say that I do use VNC and RDP from and to this PC, as that's the way I need to work, besides it doesn't seem to be very consistent. I also have TV card and use PVR Recording software in Windows Media Centre.

The "Remote Desktop not Supported" now seems to be permanent.

I can understand why Roxio does not support Remote Connections but someone somewhere MUST know why it displays that error message in dubious circumstances!

• Like 1

And now without doing ANYTHING I can run Videowave without the useless Remote Desktop Not Supported message!

Lovely consistent software then!

Sheesh!

Can it be correlated with recent usage of the remote desktop/rebooting? For instance, if you've recently restarted your PC without using the remote desktop, does it work okay vs. if you've been working recently on the remote desktop, and then started Videowave?

Thanks for your response, I had considered that but I hadn't been using VNC or RDP. I have now been using VideoWave all morning almost quite happily, but did have an incident of it stopping saying Remote Desktop not Supported, and when it did I checked what I'd been doing but the only thing I'd been doing was Videowave! Tried it again soon after, and it's now been OK for good 2 hours.

Is there anyone here who can simply ask Roxio Support what it checks to issue that message so I know what to "adjust". I looked at trying to send Roxio Technical Support a question but it was all very confusing and ended up on Corel Web Site for some reason and them insisting I paid for the Support, if I could email them I'd tell them this is still under Warranty so I should have free access to Technical Support like all the other programs I use (yes, I do have a "token" or whatever they call it and that only valid for 30 days or something rediculous.

Thanks for your response, I had considered that but I hadn't been using VNC or RDP. I have now been using VideoWave all morning almost quite happily, but did have an incident of it stopping saying Remote Desktop not Supported, and when it did I checked what I'd been doing but the only thing I'd been doing was Videowave! Tried it again soon after, and it's now been OK for good 2 hours.

Is there anyone here who can simply ask Roxio Support what it checks to issue that message so I know what to "adjust". I looked at trying to send Roxio Technical Support a question but it was all very confusing and ended up on Corel Web Site for some reason and them insisting I paid for the Support, if I could email them I'd tell them this is still under Warranty so I should have free access to Technical Support like all the other programs I use (yes, I do have a "token" or whatever they call it and that only valid for 30 days or something rediculous.

Corel bought Roxio a few years back.

You have your support code and am ready to submit your question?

http://corel.force.c...duct?lang=en_US

OK....so there I was happily in Videowave for good few hours and yet again at some random time up comes the less than helpful "Remote Desktop not Supported". However, this time I had my Task Viewer running, and spotted wmpnetwk.exe running, and when I found out what it was I closed it down.

Let's see how this goes then!

On my W-7 Ultimate x64 it's set to automatic and is started.

I've never experienced what your seeing!

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

post-97-0-33783700-1406647365_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that. I'm not 100% convinced what I've done solves my problem, but I do have multiple streaming devices and media libraries setup in Media Player (although I don't actually use that hateful piece of software) and maybe that service only gets "activated" (and not just run but actually used) peridiocally by something connecting through Media Player. No wonder I hate computers but then I have to love them as I work in I.T.

I will report back on progress but any other ideas always welcome, but so far no stupid message but then it's only been an hour or so!

I finally found a sneaky way to maybe get to Roxio Support (without having to buy a new unexpired token) I simply put it all in some product feedback!

Just did a simple test, connected from my iPad using VNC and Videowave didn't complain, then I tried Remote Desktop (from Microsoft) and as soon as I connected I got the helpful message about Remote Desktop not being supported.

Hmmm but not really unexpected really.

Ok more progress (possibly).

Left PC on all night and with Videowave sitting there doing nothing. In the morning found Videowave had error message about Remote Desktop, so then checked the event viewer log, and saw lots of events around my VNC Server at around same time as problem occurred. So have shutdown VNC Server and will see what happens today.

Right...left Videowave running but doing nothing, just got another Remote Desktop message, and looking at the system event viewer I can see:-

Application Error

Faulting application name: VideoWave15.exe, version: 8.0.0.47, time stamp: 0x522f1588

Faulting module name: VideoWave15.exe, version: 8.0.0.47, time stamp: 0x522f1588

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000692fd

And it's all gibberish to me but if anyone wants to send it to Roxio Technical Support feel free or ask me.

Right...left Videowave running but doing nothing, just got another Remote Desktop message, and looking at the system event viewer I can see:-

Application Error

Faulting application name: VideoWave15.exe, version: 8.0.0.47, time stamp: 0x522f1588

Faulting module name: VideoWave15.exe, version: 8.0.0.47, time stamp: 0x522f1588

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000692fd

And it's all gibberish to me but if anyone wants to send it to Roxio Technical Support feel free or ask me.

Can you provide us with the dxdiag file for your system?

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/81985-identifying-your-computer-specs-and-computer-drivers-windows/

DxDiag.txt attached as requested - this is from the 64-bit diags.

Roxio is a 32x app and resides in x86 folder.

x32 DxDiag.txt please.

Hmmmm just had another Videowave failure with Remote Desktop message. The event viewer showed a failed WINLOGON attempt, which maybe someone is trying to hack into my PC or connect to it somehow. So, I have now definitively disabled "allow remote connections" and will see how that goes.

Progress Report - left PC on all night with no VNC and no Remote Access allowed and Videowave sitting there doing nothing. Error message showed up and when I checked the Event Viewer I saw:-

VideoWave-MyDVD has been closed

The description for Event ID 0 from source VideoWave/MyDVD has been closed. cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

VideoWave-MyDVD has been closed in response to Remote Desktop Connection

OK....without VNC Server active, and Remote Connection forbidden, I still get the Remote Desktop not supported from Videowave. Looking in the event viewer it shows nothing other than the same in previous post.

This is proving challenging and could really benefit from some input from Roxio but I am unable to contact their technical support at all.

Just had another Remote Desktop message, and nothing meaningful in the logs other than previously stated.

I'm coming to the conclusion it's not being "provoked" but Roxio VideoWave is simply misinterpreting something and thinking I'm actually connected by RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol), which I definitely am not.

I have a number of Music Library Services (I have already disabled the network sharing in Media Player but I do also use Media Centre for TV recording and playback so will check those setting, although it is a bit rubbish software) that Stream to various Music Players so I'm going to disable them one by one and see what the effect might be.

OK...next effort. Had brainwave today having ignored the problem for few days, so have stopped Remote Desktop Services running in SERVICES.MSC (the Windows Services maintenance screen).

Right....next day.....left PC on all night with Videowave sitting there doing nothing, and surprise surprise....no Remote Desktop error message!

Hmmmm have I solved the problem at last?

For those that want try themselves, click start button, then put SERVICES.MSC in the Search box, and hit enter. The Windows Services box should appear, scroll down to Remote Desktop Services, right-click and hit STOP.

If anything changes I'll add more updates.

Paul.

Now I can use Videowave seemingly with no further "Remote Desktop Connection not Supported" I did some tests to ascertain if what I did has really fixed the problem.

Firstly, when I STOPped that "Remote Desktop Service" in SERVICES.MSC, I only STOPed it and left it set as "MANUAL" startup. However, when I next restarted my PC, the service had been started (I've no idea what started it) so I changed it's startup setting to DISABLE after having STOPped it. It seems to have done the trick but I've yet to find out if I've lost any facilities

Any changes or additional information I'll pass it on.

Paul.