Here is some of the stuff I have found on various user posts (Roxio and Microsoft) when i was looking for a fix to the problem I described at the top of my post. Although these pertain to Roxio 6&7 they are similar problems. Can someone tell me the dangers and possible benifits to these? Am I way off base?
Easy CD & DVD Creator 6:
To fix this error, the windows registry needs to be repaired using the Microsoft utility Scanreg. Please go to Microsoft web site and follow the instructions and reinstall.
NOTE: These instructions are the responsibility of Microsoft.
Easy Media Creator 7:
To fix this, you must edit your registry.
First, export a copy of your registry (for safety):
1. Go to "Start" then "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
2. Choose "File" --> Export
3. Choose a location.
4. Click "Save".
Now to edit the registry.
1. Double-click the "Hkey_Local_Machine folder"
2. Find the "Software" folder, right-click, and choose "Permissions"
3. Select "Add", type in "Administrator" and click OK
4. Highlight "Administrator" under "Group or Usernames"
5. Under Permissions, please check "Allow" for "Full Control" and "Read"
6. Select "Apply".
7. Select "Add", type in SYSTEM and select OK.
8. Highlight SYSTEM under "Group or Usernames".
9. Under Permissions, check "Allow" for "Full Control" and "Read".
10. Select "Apply" then OK.
11. Please exit the registry by choosing "File" from the top left hand corner of the window and click "Exit".
Now start the installation Easy Media Creator 7 again and it should complete successfully.
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
On the Tools menu, click Registry Checker. You may receive the following error message:
Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart the computer and repair the system registry for you.
If you receive this error message, continue to step 3.
If you do not receive the error message, follow these steps to repair damage to the registry:
Quit all the programs that are running.
Click Start, click Run, type the following text in the Open box, and then click OK: