Barry Moreton

Converting Dvd To Blu Ray

Question

I have just purchased easy CD & DVD burning and was told by the store that I could convert and copy DVDs to Blu Ray. In the box was a Product key for Divx Plus Converter. Can anyone help me please? The dvds I want to copy are primarily those I have made of the family over the last 30 years so are not restricted in any way

9 answers to this question

Welcome, I hope you realize that you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear ! :o You can burn DVD video to blu ray but the quality will be the same or worse than the original. All you will gain is the amount of video you can put on a blu ray vs a DVD. I' don't have that program loaded. I don't think it will burn to a blu ray. (sales info). Does it say so on the box? I would take it back and get my money back and not shop there again.

Do you have a blu ray burner?

Please tell us what you really hope to gain.

DivX Plus is included in the Version 14 of the 'Red Box' software.

I am not a DivX fan so I have never explored it... Brendon may have???

I opened it up on another PC and am converting a small DVD Movie now. It appears it is going to make a DivX file in HD (my option). But as Steve said it will only be a SD (720 X 480) DVD Movie clip turned into a 1080P DivX clip...

Rendering Up, "up-sampling", et al is a marketing gimmick... Sometimes it seems to look a little better, brighter more colorful but to actually Improve or Enhance the image is only something that exists only in the minds of Hollywood movie writers :lol:

I'll post results when it gets done ;)

The resulting file May or May Not be playable on a BD Player but that depends on the Player itself :huh: It does not create a properly formatted BD Movie Disc!

Update: Looks like this...

Opening Screen w/Options:

post-39730-0-87278200-1407673877_thumb.jpg

Pick a file - this is from a personal DVD Movie:

post-39730-0-69397100-1407673879_thumb.jpg

Processing:

post-39730-0-10589400-1407673881_thumb.jpg

Complete:

post-39730-0-65744700-1407673882_thumb.jpg

File Details:

post-39730-0-14874400-1407673886_thumb.jpg

As I thought, it is a DivX file so its' use will be confined to Players that are capible of playing it ;)

Also note that the Resolution of the final product is not what was set for output :wacko: (that is likely User Error!)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Rendering Up, "up-sampling", et al is a marketing gimmick... Sometimes it seems to look a little better, brighter more colorful but to actually Improve or Enhance the image is only something that exists only in the minds of Hollywood movie writers :lol:

Jim, I'll dispute your claim above, because I do see a difference when playing a DVD on our HD TV using our Sanyo Blu-Ray player, which up-samples, vs. playing the same disc, on the same TV, using a DVD player.

What I've done is taken some pictures of the screen of our TV with the same image from first, the DVD player, and then the Blu-Ray player. I did have to pause the players to get the pictures, and I've obviously chosen images that demonstrate the difference, but it's noticeable throughout the movie in varying degrees.

post-61-0-56864500-1407703439_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-12645000-1407703512_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-27561800-1407703589_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-60834800-1407703664_thumb.jpg

To my eye, the upsampled images (2 and 4) are much sharper and don't have the blockiness of the images from the DVD (1 and 3). While that blockiness is not as apparent when there is a lot of motion on the screen, it is there throughout the movie.

Unfortunately, the uploaded pictures have been reduced in size. :angry: But I think you'll still be able to see the difference.

Up-sampling is not a complete marketing gimmick.

But, in this case, the up-sampling is being done "live" by the player. I don't know how well any of other software options will do.

Edited by d_deweywright
  • Like 1

I agree Dave, upsampling is not a pure gimmick and does work. My "old" DVD player has an "upsampling to HDMI" feature and I can definitely see a big difference in quality. on most of the DVD I have created.

Now whether you can see the same quality improvement when you go from 720x480 to 1280x720, for example, I don't know. I have never tried that.

Thanks guys, I will have to revisit that :lol::D:lol:

One thing to keep in mind regarding EVD3. It can only capture with Composite or S-Video, neither of which will probably be 'up-sampled'???

I suspect that only a HD Capture device would be able to take advantage of this...

At least that would be the parameters I would want to test.

I enjoy the challenge ;)

My personal take on this is that the easiest option is to simply playback a DVD using an upsampling player. The time it would take to do the capture in SD, then up-sample to HD (with the frame-by-frame interpolation, edge detection or pixel averaging) in software, to write either an AVCHD disc, or a Blu-Ray disc, simply isn't worth it. Let the available hardware do the work as it's played.

Thanks guys, I will have to revisit that :lol::D:lol:

One thing to keep in mind regarding EVD3. It can only capture with Composite or S-Video, neither of which will probably be 'up-sampled'???

But this is the Redbox 14 forum, Jim. :)

But this is the Redbox 14 forum, Jim. :)

I know that and I also know that the Video Capture USB device works within the RedBox Suite as well... -_-