ErikaC

Recording Quits After 64 Minutes

Question

I bought this product last week. The reason is we have several hundred VHS movies we bought over the years - movies that are slowly deteriorating on the shelves. My plan was to digitalis them, & store on my computer.

At first this worked perfectly and I was able to save a couple of dozen on the computer and can watch them on AppleTV.

Then something happened without me noticing. The digitizing cut off after 64 minutes. Why is this happening and how can I rectify this?

2 answers to this question

One of 3 things come to mind...

If you are using a 4.7 GB DVD they hold about 1 hour...

If you clicked on 'Set Recoding Duration' it might be set to 64 minutes???

There is an interruption on the tape at that point (noise) and the recording fails.

Lets' talk reality about capture/burning ;)

Quality vs Time - of course if you lower quality you get more time.

Quality vs Viewing Quality - VHS tops out about 333 X 480 whereas DVD Movies are 720 X 480. Soooo you are starting with reduced quality and it will suffer badly if you reduce it any more during either Capture or Burning!!!!

I recommend using DL discs which then give you 2 hours of capacity while leaving every setting pegged at HQ! An alternative in EVD3 is Split the project over 2 or 3 regular DVD's...

Disc Quality??? if it isn't

Verbatim (Singapore) orTaiyo Yuden (JVC) Don't Bring it into your Home :huh:

Check those things and let us know -_-

I bought this product last week. The reason is we have several hundred VHS movies we bought over the years - movies that are slowly deteriorating on the shelves. My plan was to digitalis them, & store on my computer.

At first this worked perfectly and I was able to save a couple of dozen on the computer and can watch them on AppleTV.

Then something happened without me noticing. The digitizing cut off after 64 minutes. Why is this happening and how can I rectify this?

How much free space on the hard drive where you are storing the captured video? Can you still capture you previously captured Ok?

Also be aware that some commercial VHS tapes have copy protection and you may not be able to capture them directly.