psmallri

Videowave Deletes Existing Mpg

Question

In Videowave, if the movie I'm creating already exists, it asks if I want to overwrite/replace it - that's fine and what I expect.

But if I have a problem during the new movie creation or I cancel it, the previous MPG movie has disappeared. If it replaces it, the replace should not take place until the successful completion of the creation of the new movie.

Ridiculous way to operate, and not only that, it doesn't even appear to put the previous movie in the Recycle Bin.

Rubbish!

12 answers to this question

And see this classic response from Roxio [so called] Support:-

Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support. I do apologize for the inconvenience. About this case I think the best I can do is report this to our engineering team. It seems that the program function like this and if this needs to be review for change then they need to be notified Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions. Regards, David Corel Customer Support Services

So, Roxio was designed to do that and it's not seen as a BUG. That made me smile!

It is not a bug ! If you read the response, they say that they will consider adding that feature to later version by turning it over to engineering to consider (don't count on it)..

That's why experienced users create and save multiple versions of their projects. Remember that the original video is never changed ! There are proxy files created to keep track of what what changes were made in the project -- sometimes called a roadmap. I don't know of any way to edit the proxy files to that the last changes are deleted.

Remember the BEST video editing program is the one that thinks the way you do. I have used at least 5 different video editors ands they all work pretty much the same. You can complain and beat your head against a wall but saving at least 2 different versions of the project when editing them would be much more fun - easier and faster.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by sknis

Interesting reply thanks.

I'm not aware of any Windows Software or Windows Application, or Mainframe application, or Apple applications, or any application or system software that behaves like that - it's a totally stupid design!

I don't understand your suggestion to keep multiple versions of the same project, when in fact I'm talking about the resulting MPG from VideoWave. And how is having multiple versions "FUN"? I have no idea what you mean by "Remember that the original video is never changed" as I have images and videos in my project so assume you're referring to those!

And as for the "way I think" comment, if it did that at least I'd be able to find tasks and processes more easily than I do right now.

You say "I have used at least 5 different video editors ands they all work pretty much the same." - I'd be very interested in what they were, as I have at least done the same thing in Nero and it doesn't simply delete the previous video it creates a new copy with a different version number embedded in it's name automatically - now why can't Roxio do something like that as it would seem to match your idea!

Why would I want to spend $20,000 on a CAD/CAM application when all I'm trying to do is create some DVD's from my holidays snaps! I'm not trying to design a Space Shuttle - stupid suggestion!

So does Notepad? Now that's a really modern piece of software, and I don't understand how you could prove that it does as it's a bit tricky to interrupt it when saving as it's so quick!

To simply delete the existing file when doing the equivalent of a SAVE AS and then not bothering to put in the RECYCLE BIN is a totally bonkers design!

If you're convinced other software does exactly the same as BONKIO, sorry Roxio, then please let me know what as I have access to all sorts and will happily test your theory and admit defeat!

Have you tried answering "no" when it asks if you want to overwrite the output file? I'm not certain, but it might create a new file name with a digit appended to it.

By answering "OK" to overwriting the original file, you've told it to go ahead and delete it to make room for the new file.

As for files ending up in the recycling bin, I would ask for an example of a program that does that. The only time I believe I've seen files show up in the recycling bin is from when I've "manually" deleted them using Windows Explorer. When a program deletes them, in my experience, they're gone.

No Dave, but it will STOP!

That will allow you to do a Save As...

The user made a mistake and wants to blame anything but himself :lol:

When you Export As, the default name is the Project Name.

IF this is anEdit of an existing Project and the only copy you have, then common sense dictates you take steps to preserve your only existing clip :wacko:

You can do a Save As and use a different Project Name...

You can Set a New Name before clicking OK

You can stop when warned (always prudent) and do either of those 2 safeguards

And you can do what the majority do, and only work with a
Copy
of the Clip

OK so let's be perfectly clear here - I have not made a mistake!

In VideoWave I have a Project with all my Images, Transitions and Movies - are you suggesting I do an extra save of that Project, as it already takes forever to save it with Roxio largely doing nothing (despite what may have been suggested elsewhere saying Roxio has many things to do, which I agree with but I can't see it doing anything to anything in my Resource Monitor, no file access, no network access, just takes over 100% of one of my CPU's in Videowave).

Anyway, so now I have my Project, already saved as xxx.dmsm eventually. Now I press the DVD looking thing to "Export As" and fill in the blanks, and choose to create an MPG (in a different directory to my Roxio Project) with the same name as I already have. It says it already exists and asks if I want it to overwrite it, to which I say OK, like I do in every other Windows application. Roxio goes away and starts creating the MPG file I chose to have created, but then I realise there were some other errors which I wanted to address but haven't noted where they were, so want to look at the MPG file so I can fix them so click on "abort" to stop the "Export As". IT HAS DISAPPEARED even though it was previously safely in place from the last successful "Export As".

It's either an application BUG, or very very poorly designed piece of Software, and it's not my mistake!!!

It's either an application BUG, or very very poorly designed piece of Software, and it's not my mistake!!!

Point of opinion (mine), it's working as designed. If I tell an application that it's okay to overwrite an existing output file, I personally have no expectation that it will not delete that file immediately. Unless I know otherwise, I don't expect it to backup that old file, and if I interrupt its processing, I would expect to get either nothing, or an incomplete file. In either case, as you've pointed out, you have your project file intact and can always restart the output.

That's just my perspective.

psmallri; Does this mean you never solved your issue with saving a project (not outputting a project) that takes a very long time? You never came back and gave us more information.

Saving a project should only take a few seconds to minute.

Edited by sknis

OK so let's be perfectly clear here - I have not made a mistake!

Yes you did. You didn't make a backup of the original video file, before you started messing with it.