OldLehrer

Pal Vs. Ntsc - Disk Burning

Question

When burning a DVD with video clips originally formatted PAL, Toast seems to have no problem converting them to the NTSC standard. However if I have several clips which are mixed NTSC and PAL I get the following message: "You are about to create a disc with mixed PAL and NTSC content. Are you sure you want to do this? Discs with mixed content may not play on all players." This makes me assume that the PAL clips will not not be reformatted if there are already NTSC files in the group. Is this so? If yes, is there a workaround to get all clips onto a single DVD that will play NTSC? Thank you.

2 answers to this question

Make a disc image of just the PAL videos that need to be converted to NTSC. (It's the same as making a video DVD but choosing Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button). When done start a new project window. Mount the disc image using that command in the Toast Utilities window. Go to the Toast Media Browser and choose Video and then DVD. You should see each of the video titles that are on the mounted disc image. Drag them to the main Toast window. You now have NTSC versions of those videos to join with the others that already are NTSC.

Thanks for the good advice - I never noticed the disk image command under Utilities before, after all these years. But I do make disk images of all my disks first (which I keep as backups) and burn from them. I shall definitely give it a try. Right now I have been importing the PAL formatted clips into Adobe Premiere Elements and then exporting them out as NTSC mpg files. Most of my clips usually arrive with an mp4 file extension and these have to be reformatted into almost anything else before burning unless you want to tie up your computer for a day. The now unsupported Apple iDVD seems to handle a PAL & NTSC mix and produce an NTSC product at the end without any difficulty - but it doesn't fit a lot of clips onto a single DVD the way Toast can which is why I prefer the latter.