Willard M

Transparent Overlays And Blackout When Panning And Zooming Stills

Question

Roxio Support

i started a rather large slideshow movie on my desktop where I have Creator 10 installed. I got it about 90% completed and my desktop failed. I then installed Creator 10 on a high end laptop that I have and copied all the files to the laptop and reconstructed the show. The slideshow consists of 12 WMV 720 video clips and 64 stills. The install seemed to go perfectly. Both computers have Windows 7 Home premium on them. I have two problems.

I am unable to add an Overlay to the video clips. i can see the red box but the overlay does not show It is as if the overlay is transparent. I have attached a screen shot. of a WMV 720 video clip of a clock running backwards I am attempting to put a series of 4 year overlays showing time going backward. The year dates are invisible.

My other problem is with the stills. When I try to apply Pan and Zoom to them the picture goes black as the bar moves slightly across the picture.. I have tried changing rendering from hardware to software. I have updated all my graphic drivers but no help.

Machine is a Dell Latitude 6420 with Intel I5 processor.

post-30850-0-63808300-1409523048_thumb.jpgpost-30850-0-03345700-1409523198_thumb.jpg

post-30850-0-78780800-1409524013_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

This is not Roxio support. These forums are manned by users who try to help. Contact Roxio/Corel Tech Support in you home region and pay for the privilege of talking to them.

"Creator 10" is either Easy Media Creator 10, a very old program that won't work with W7, or Creator 10 which is a OEM piece of software, or Creator 2010. If it is an OEM, contact the computer manufacturer for support. If it is Easy Media Creator 10, sorry, it cannot be fixed. If it is Creator 2010, then there may be something we can help with.

Which of the video card/chips are you using or are you using both (which is possible in some cases). Also please provide the dxdiag.exe evaluation of your computer. Follow these instructions.

• Like 1

sknis,

Thank you for the reply. My program is Roxio Creator 2010 and not the Roxio cheap introductory program. i have been using it on my desktop for 4 years now which has Windows 7 with no problem. I have attached the dx file. If I can provide anymore info to help solve my problem please let me know.

Thanks again

Willard

DxDiag.txt

Sknis,

ps. My apologies for addressing my first post to Roxio Support. I knew that you were not with Roxio but senior moment.

:-)

sknis

I keep seeing things that i didn't see in my earlier posts. Sorry bout that. I can see why you ask the question about which program I had. I see Creator 10 on my desktop specs. When I bought the desktop in 2010 I ordered installed what I thought was the full Roxio program instead it was the cut rate Creator 10. (I'm still ticked at Roxio for making us think we are gettiing the full program) I then bought and installed Roxio Creator 2010.

I don't know which of the two video card/chips I am using or how I have two of them on here. Is there a way I can tell?

Willard

1) Set your Windows font to 96 dpi (smaller) and try again.

2) What is the display time for the your young man image. If it is not long enough, you won't get pan and zoom to work.

and tell us what you are doing differently. It is silent.

3) Can you tell us a little more about the overlay you are trying to use. What is your procedure? You are not using a transparent png image are you? Again what is the display time?

Edited by sknis

post-30850-0-56895600-1409604543_thumb.pngpost-30850-0-05567100-1409604563_thumb.jpgsknis,

I don’t know what you mean by changing Windows font to 96. Is that within the Creator 2010 or within the Windows program? If so where do I go to change it?

The duration time of the still is 7.01. I have set that for all of the stills in this movie. I watched the video clip you referenced and is exactly what I am doing except that I sometimes plan a different Pan and Zoom for each individual picture so that all the stills don’t seem repetitive.

I make my overlays in Adobe Photoshop and always start with a blank transparent background. I then add the text I want to use which in this case was 4 year dates on the transparent background. I then save them in png format so as to not show any background. I didn't understand your question about my overlays being in png format. That is what I have always used so not sure what you mean. All of my overlays work perfectly on all my still imagesl. It is only on the video clips that they are invisible. I have included a picture of the 4 overlays with the text and showing them in Timeline of the clock which has a duration of 11.29 seconds. Each overlay as you will see has about 3 seconds of run time. This was showing perfectly on my desktop before it failed.

Thanks again

If all those year overlays show is the number of the year, why are you evening bothering with creating png overlays? Why not simply use the text effects to add the year at the appropriate locations on the timeline. You can have fade in/outs for the years etc plus many other effects

There is no need to use any 3rd party software to create the "years" unless there is something special going on that you have not described.

• Like 1

I may have found my problem. When I transferred the files from my desktop to the laptop I was trying to save all of the work I had done. So I copied the entire dmsm folder to my portable hard drive and then copied to the laptop. I then opened the Alaska dmsm file on the laptop trying to save all the special effects i had completed. I looked like that was going to happen as the first 4 or 5 frames opened and all looked good. i then added all the rest of the video clips and stills to what I now think is a corrupted dmsm file.

I have now added several pictures from an entirely different folder to the siidthat I know to be good and they don't pan and zoom either I think that it may be impossible to copy a movie from one computer to another and even though you try to install in exactly the same format and file name in the proper place with the exact file path that it doesn't work. Has anyone been able to do this?

I now think that the Alaska dmsm file got corrupted in the transfer. My plan now is to delete the entire file folder from my laptop and go back to my desktop and just get the picture files only and start from scratch and not try to save all the previous work.

I won't bug you folks for awhile while i start over.

Thanks again for your help.

Willard

My Gucci

i never thought of doing it that way. One reason, I guess, is that i like to have whatever image i am working on to be complete within itself so that any changes I make in timing or duration that it will not have any effect on that image.

I will try that as it does appear to be easier.

• Like 1

I may have found my problem. When I transferred the files from my desktop to the laptop I was trying to save all of the work I had done. So I copied the entire dmsm folder to my portable hard drive and then copied to the laptop. I then opened the Alaska dmsm file on the laptop trying to save all the special effects i had completed. I looked like that was going to happen as the first 4 or 5 frames opened and all looked good. i then added all the rest of the video clips and stills to what I now think is a corrupted dmsm file.

I have now added several pictures from an entirely different folder to the siidthat I know to be good and they don't pan and zoom either I think that it may be impossible to copy a movie from one computer to another and even though you try to install in exactly the same format and file name in the proper place with the exact file path that it doesn't work. Has anyone been able to do this?

I now think that the Alaska dmsm file got corrupted in the transfer. My plan now is to delete the entire file folder from my laptop and go back to my desktop and just get the picture files only and start from scratch and not try to save all the previous work.

I won't bug you folks for awhile while i start over.

Thanks again for your help.

Willard

Yes, I have copied several projects from one computer to another and got it to work. You of course have to have an identical folder/file structure for the project on each computer. The best way to "move" projects is to have all your files (video,audio, photos) in one folder and not spread all over the system. If there is a problem (usually missing links) it is very easy to reconnect everything.

I doubt very much that your dmsm file was corrupted.

• Like 1