• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can Creator Business V10 Dvd Automatically Add New Files/directories To A Project

Larry S.

Question

Hi,

I've searched the forums and the Internet and didn't find an answer to my question. I hope it's not in front of me and Im just not finding it.

With Creator Business v10 DVD (Version 10.3.56.24 on Windows 7 Professional SP1) I created a "Data and Backup" project with various directories and files, and saved the project. As time goes by, I create new files and directories to the directories that are in the project. Is there some way to make Roxio detect the new files/directories and add them to the existing project, or do I need to add them manualy?

Thanks for any help,

Larry

12 answers to this question

Hi,

I've searched the forums and the Internet and didn't find an answer to my question. I hope it's not in front of me and Im just not finding it.

With Creator Business v10 DVD (Version 10.3.56.24 on Windows 7 Professional SP1) I created a "Data and Backup" project with various directories and files, and saved the project. As time goes by, I create new files and directories to the directories that are in the project. Is there some way to make Roxio detect the new files/directories and add them to the existing project, or do I need to add them manualy?

Thanks for any help,

Larry

Larry S,

I suspect the talk of .roxio format is distracting from the problem.

I understand you are using Data and Backup > Data Disc in your Creator 10 to back up files and folders, and you're then saving your project file.

You are wanting to know if loading your saved project file [*.roxio] will automatically include any new files and folders you've made, or if you have to add the new ones to your project manually.

The answer is that loading a saved project file in Creator 10 will automatically include any new files or folders which you have put inside folders already in your project, but you'll have to manually add any files or folders which are outside of that.

an example:

If you have a directory which looks like this

post-208-0-72075000-1410749675_thumb.jpg

You drag those 4 files and the folder called "test" into your project window, burn a disc and save the project. You get a disc with the 4 files, and the test folder with whatever is inside the test folder.

Now you add another file to your starting directory and a bunch of new files into "test". The starting directory now looks like this - see your new file?

post-208-0-33057400-1410750082_thumb.jpg

If you now load that saved project, your project window will not contain the 'extra new file' because it wasn't mentioned in the project. However it will have the 4 original files plus the test folder, and all the files now inside that 'test' folder (including your new ones).

I hope that explains things - it's easier to show by doing it than describing it. Please tell me if I've not made it clear.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi,

Thanks for any help,

Larry

Most folks here use a Retail version of Roxio. Probably why no one has replied in twenty four hours to your post!

Project files in the Retail version of Roxio are just a road map of what the project is and no backup of a file. If files are moved the project can't find them.

Start by telling us in what application your using to make this project and right click, click properties on your project files and tell us wht extension the files are please?

> Larry, what do you think this backup contains at 11.6KB?

I suppose a description of the files which are to be backed up by the project, not the backup itself.

Brendon, thanks for the answer. That's what I was looking for and how I thought it should work.

Here's what I've observed with a directory structure as follows:

post-120662-0-19528400-1410886827_thumb.jpg

• I add the "Top folder" directory to a Roxio Backup project.
  • Roxio backs up all three directories and any files or subdirectories that they contain.
  • I remove the "Another Second Level Folder" directory from the Roxio project and save the project.
  • I add new files to the "Top folder" and "A Second Level Folder" directories on my computer.
  • I start the Roxio project and do a backup.
  • The files added to the "Top folder" or "A Second Level Folder" don't get backed up.

Larry

Hi Larry,

When you have only "Top Folder" in your project, the project save file is very simple and pretty much specifies just \Top Folder\*.* [Top folder and everything in it, like a wildcard selection]

If you go down to the second level, make changes, and save, the new save file lists every file and folder in your project down to the second level. Now, instead of doing a wildcard backup it only backs up the files and folders it has listed.

To make the system automatically catch changes you need to build a project with only your top folders in it, and save that project.

Don't alter the saved project, and every time you load it you will get all the files and folders in and under those top folders.

If that doesn't fit what you want to do, I'm afraid you're back to manually selecting what you want to save.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi,

> Project files in the Retail version of Roxio are just a road map of what the project is... If files are moved the project can't find them.

I'm adding files or subdirectories to directories that are already in the project. I was hoping that they would be backed up the next time I did a backup using the project.

> Start by telling us in what application your using to make this project and right click, click properties on your project files and tell us wht extension the files are please?

I'm using Creator Business v10 DVD (Version 10.3.56.24 on Windows 7 Professional SP1) to define and save the project (once) and to do the backup (every time I want a backup). The project extension is .roxio.

Larry

Larry you already told us Creator Business v10 DVD (Version 10.3.56.24.

That is the name of the suite not the name of a application!

Follow the sentence below and fill in the blanks please.

Start by telling us in what application your using to make this project and right click, click properties on your project files and tell us wht extension the files are please?

Archived