hermie54

Exporting Question

Question

OK, I started to play with the various new Video options in Toast 702. But before I screw up the rest of this particular file to DVD flow I've got a video newbie question...

It's a MPG-1 file and Toast won't or can't play it from the DVD Video window under the "More" button. The player thingie is not there. So I had the idea of exporting it as DV and then perhaps add Chapters in iMovie and get it back into Toast after that?

Anyway, Toast will export the file, but before I do I'd like to know what to do with the Audio under the Export DV Options. It said locked and 44.100 (which is CD). Should I leave locked checkmarked or not? And, because I want to end up on DVD, should I change the audio to 48.000 at this stage or later on?

Sorry, but I can't find answers to these question in the Help file, nor in the Getting Started Guide. Yes, I realise that the quality will probably be poor, but I'd like to try it anyway.

10 answers to this question

Toast won't allow editing of MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 files in the "More" window. This is only for QT movies. If the MPEG-1 files has a QT wrapper, then it can be editted, but Toast really isn't the place you want to edit the video.

Since any MPEG-1 file will have the audio converted to 48khz (I assume this is a VCD file) when burned to DVD, I suggesting exporting the Audio to 48khz when you go to DV and use it in iMovie. That way, you will have DVD compliant audio and video from the start and should help workaround any iMovie bugs that still linger with audio sync.

I believe that if you move the MPEG-1 to DV and then back to DVD, that your resolution may change though. I haven't tried it, but just an FYI.

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, the file plays in QuickTime and I just noticed that QT's Export Options window is exactly the same as Toast shows. So I take it Toast uses QT for this? Meaning I should perhaps export it directly from QT to DV Stream 48 khz?

I'll try that I think and then fire up iMovie for the very first time. Fun! Or not, perhaps...

I exported to DV through QuickTime with audio on 48 khz. But when I play the DV file all sound seems to have been lost. After ages it finally showed up in iMovie, but I couldn't do much with it there, wanted to add Chapter markers but they were greyed out. Perhaps I should have tried iDVD instead. Dunno, rookie in this area.

Anyway, no sound in iMovie HD, QuickTime Player, nor in the play window in Toast. Any tips/ideas about what I'm doing wrong? The original file has sound alright.

I'll give it a try, thank you. But before I do that, should I convert from NTSC to PAL at this stage or later while burning? I also don't know what to do with the Audio Locked checkbox, leave it on checked or uncheck it? With my failed attempt I "unlocked" it. Not in manuals and no tooltip, sorry.

I wouldn't worry about the Audio Lock checkbox. Just leave it off. I would convert to PAL when going to DV, edit in PAL and then burn the DVD in PAL.

I exported again as PAL, 48 kHz and switched the Lock checkbox off (defaults seem to be NTSC - even when PAL is set in prefs - and the Lock checkbox on). This time through Toast and then there was sound...

SUCCESS! It's a long process first exporting and then encoding again for burning, but it worked fine. It plays on my standalone DVD-player for the telly and I was amazed about the quality I got on TV. Brilliant!

Thanks again for the help! Hmmm, still don't know what the Lock box actually does though :)

Hermie54, you exported to DV using Toast? Didn't that yield an obscenely large file?

I'm trying to do the same thing you did but I've stopped every time because the MPEG file went from 350MB to almost 10GB. I think I may be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.

Yep, my 700 something MPG file grew to 19 GB. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it's just the way it is.

Drag the .DV file into Toast's DVD-Video window, give the disc a name and stuff under "More" and set a picture under "Edit" and that's about it. You can try if it plays alright in Toast as well, which more or less guarantees that your disc will be fine, I think.

Toast encodes again and burns the disc. I then trash the large DV file and probably keep the smaller original MPG on a Data DVD gatherng dust for just in case...

Whispering from under rock... So now I've got another AVI, which is probably not a "real" one but a wrapper, because the info that came with it says Ogg Vorbis. It plays in VLC, but I can't get it exported to something usefull for Toast.

Does anyone have an idea where to look? DivXDoctor II doesn't want it either. Surely there must be a way to get this thing on DVD?