• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc8 Slideshows

dpeteual1

Question

In EMC7.5 there was a program called MyDVD Slideshow for making a slideshow DVD. Unlike DVD Builder, it saved the original jpg files on the DVD and used them on the fly to create the movie when played in a dvd player. This meant that the original pictures could be obtained from the DVD and the number of pictures that could be on a DVD was very large and did not depend on the duration of each slide in the slideshow. It appears that this is not available in EMC8. As far as I can tell the only way to make a DVD of a slideshow is making each slide into a movie. Then the movie is saved in a vob file which grows as the slide duration grows. You can't get the jpg files from the dvd and the number of pictures you can put on a DVD is dependent on the duration of the slides.

Is there anyway to make a slideshow in EMC8 that is similiar to EMC7.5 so I can use the DVD as a backup for my picure jpg files?

13 answers to this question

You asked " Is there anyway to make a slide show in EMC8 that is similar to EMC7.5 so I can use the DVD as a backup for my pi cure jpg files?"

Were you burning the images to a cd without transitions? I do not remember that V7.5 had any different functionality than V8.

Are we misreading you? Do you want to create a slide show and archive the images or do you just want to archive the images? We have been answering the "and" issue. If you just want to archive, just use something like Creator Classic.

In EMC7.5 there was a program called MyDVD Slideshow for making a slideshow DVD. Unlike DVD Builder, it saved the original jpg files on the DVD and used them on the fly to create the movie when played in a dvd player. This meant that the original pictures could be obtained from the DVD and the number of pictures that could be on a DVD was very large and did not depend on the duration of each slide in the slideshow. It appears that this is not available in EMC8. As far as I can tell the only way to make a DVD of a slideshow is making each slide into a movie. Then the movie is saved in a vob file which grows as the slide duration grows. You can't get the jpg files from the dvd and the number of pictures you can put on a DVD is dependent on the duration of the slides.

Is there anyway to make a slideshow in EMC8 that is similiar to EMC7.5 so I can use the DVD as a backup for my picure jpg files?

I have made identical slideshows in MyDVD EMC8 and MyDVD Slideshows in EMC 7.5. MyDVD Slideshow in EMC 7.5 does contain vob files but they are very small and don't change much when you change slide duration, while the vob files in MyDVD EMC8 are much larger and the size of the space used on the DVD changes proportionally to the duration of the slides. It appears that the 7.5 program somehow uses the vob files to play the movie but the actual frames are not stored in the vob files as multiple repeats of the images but just use the jpgs and continually repeat showing the jpgs for each frame of the movie.

I have tried moving the large vob files created in EMC8, changing them to mpg and playing then in WMP. This works fine. When I move any of the vob files from EMC7.5 MyDVD Slideshow and change them to mpg, WMP opens the files and says it is playing but there is not slides. Just a black screen.

Make your slideshow in Videowave, you will have the least problems when making your slideshow and has the most flexibility. You will be able to include an image file on the DVD just like in 7 and 7.5. That is a choice you are given at the time of burning which is done in MyDVD. Once you click the burn icon you will be taken to MyDVD where you construct your menu, then in the burn options there is a box you can check to save original image file to disc.

Patty, slight change in instructions. In V 7 and V7.7, you are given the options to archive the images when you go to burn; in V8, MyDVD is slightly different. In MyDVD, click file The top menu)/project settings and you have several options on the left hand side of the pop-up window; archive images is one of them.

Make your slideshow in Videowave, you will have the least problems when making your slideshow and has the most flexibility. You will be able to include an image file on the DVD just like in 7 and 7.5. That is a choice you are given at the time of burning which is done in MyDVD. Once you click the burn icon you will be taken to MyDVD where you construct your menu, then in the burn options there is a box you can check to save original image file to disc.

I have done several experiments. I created identical slideshows using several programs.

Using MyDVD Slideshow from EMC7.5: The time to burn the DVD was 1 min 5 sec. The size on the

disk was 36MB. The size did not vary regardless of the slide duration.

Using DVD Builder from EMC7.5: The time to burn was 7 min 25 sec. The size on the disk was

385MB. The size varied a lot with the slide duration.

Using MyDVD from EMC8: The time to burn was 34 min. The size on the disk was 402 MB. The

picture quality during playback was poor compared to the previous DVDs. Also the Menus were

flashing with funny colors.

Using MyDVD 6.1: The time to burn was 1min 30sec. The size on the disk was 82MB. The quality

of the video was as good as the best. Also I could get a large slideshow on a VCD that other

programs could only get on a DVD. Also I could add video movie clips in addition to still

slideshows which I could not do in MyDVD Slideshow EMC7.5.

What was the quality in DVD Builder in 7.5 and in My/DVD Slideshow in 7.5?

The quality in MyDVD Slideshow in 7.5 was excellent. The Quality in DVD Builder in 7.5 was good also but may have been slightly less than MyDVD Slideshow. The worst was definitely MyDVD in in EMC8.

Patty, slight change in instructions. In V 7 and V7.7, you are given the options to archive the images when you go to burn; in V8, MyDVD is slightly different. In MyDVD, click file The top menu)/project settings and you have several options on the left hand side of the pop-up window; archive images is one of them.

Thanks Steve, lost my head. I have v8 on another computer and I got lazy and didn't check before I wrote, hummmm naughty naughty. Thanks for waking me up............. :)

This procedure may get the original jpg files on the DVD, however it does not solve the problem of the very large files. I believe each slideshow is saved as a movie and the length of the movie is determined by the duration for each slide. In MyDVD Slideshow in 7.5, the files are very small and do not depend on the duration of each slide.

As far as I know myDVD Slideshow also creates the slideshow in a movie on the DVD. Just look at the Video_TS folder on the DVD, it contains the vob files of the slideshow movie. The jpg pictures are simply archived to the DVD, I don't think they are used at all when you show the slideshow. You can copy the vob file from the DVD to your computer, rename to mpg and play them with WMP. I believe EMC8 behaves the same way.

I have done several experiments. I created identical slideshows using several programs.

Using MyDVD Slideshow from EMC7.5: The time to burn the DVD was 1 min 5 sec. The size on the

disk was 36MB. The size did not vary regardless of the slide duration.

Using DVD Builder from EMC7.5: The time to burn was 7 min 25 sec. The size on the disk was

385MB. The size varied a lot with the slide duration.

Using MyDVD from EMC8: The time to burn was 34 min. The size on the disk was 402 MB. The

picture quality during playback was poor compared to the previous DVDs. Also the Menus were

flashing with funny colors.

Using MyDVD 6.1: The time to burn was 1min 30sec. The size on the disk was 82MB. The quality

of the video was as good as the best. Also I could get a large slideshow on a VCD that other

programs could only get on a DVD. Also I could add video movie clips in addition to still

slideshows which I could not do in MyDVD Slideshow EMC7.5.

What was the quality in DVD Builder in 7.5 and in My/DVD Slideshow in 7.5?

After further experimenting I made a slideshow using EMC7.5 MyDVD and saved it to a DVD file. I then copied the file to a DVD using DVD Copier. The resulting DVD did in fact only include the Video_TS folder and the IFO and VOB files. It played the slideshow perfectly. However, The total size of the files on the DVD was 498MB while the same slideshow created as a movie by Videowave and MyDVD in EMC8 contained 2.8GB on the disk. I'm not sure why the EMC8 file was so large. I also created the same DVD using EMC7.5 using its version of Videowave and DVDBuilder. It also was about 2.8 GB. I'm not sure how MyDVD slideshow in 7.5 is able to create the same slideshow in much less space. The quality of the pictures as seen on the TV is at least as good if not better with the smaller vob files.

Archived