stevenmcafee

The operation was a success but the patient died...

Question

All looked fine during the install. No error messages or warnings. Nothing will run. when clicking the desktop shortcut the hourglass briefly appears then nothing. Rebooted, no difference. Have not reinstalled yet.

Pretty much a standard AMD system with lots of RAM and HDD. Not running IE& but do have Opera along with IE6.

Suggestions? (I am an IT pro - not a newbie).

Steven

That's EC9.

Edited by stevenmcafee

8 answers to this question

All looked fine during the install. No error messages or warnings. Nothing will run. when clicking the desktop shortcut the hourglass briefly appears then nothing. Rebooted, no difference. Have not reinstalled yet.

Pretty much a standard AMD system with lots of RAM and HDD. Not running IE& but do have Opera along with IE6.

Steven

That's EC9.

Do any of the programs run if you go to Start/All Programs......?

All looked fine during the install. No error messages or warnings. Nothing will run. when clicking the desktop shortcut the hourglass briefly appears then nothing. Rebooted, no difference.

Steven - Those are the exact same symptoms I experienced. In my case un-installing the IE7 beta and reverting to IE6 immediately solved the problem. Since you indicated you only have IE6 installed, do you have any other MS beta software that could be the culprit? Good luck. - Dave

Steven

That's EC9.

What other similar software is installed? What about internal firewall software? I've read that NIS has caused problems like this on the older versions. Also make sure you're clean of spyware (sorry, had to put in that disclaimer even for veteran IT guys).

Steven

That's EC9.

Same or similar problem here. Just upgraded from EMC 8 to 9. Uninstalled EMC 8, then installed EMC 9. Now EMC 9 creashes on launch with the error: "EMC 9 has encountered an error and needs to close". Have tried this on three different machines, all of which have worked with EMC 8 before.

Unbelievably poor tech support: Answering system says open 9-6 PST, but closed when I called @ 4.30PM. Roxanne doesn't even have support for EMC 9. Knowledgebase doesn't work - it claims I have cookies disabled (which I don't). There's a section describing how to turn on cookies. It's all blank.

Same or similar problem here. Just upgraded from EMC 8 to 9. Uninstalled EMC 8, then installed EMC 9. Now EMC 9 creashes on launch with the error: "EMC 9 has encountered an error and needs to close". Have tried this on three different machines, all of which have worked with EMC 8 before.

Unbelievably poor tech support: Answering system says open 9-6 PST, but closed when I called @ 4.30PM. Roxanne doesn't even have support for EMC 9. Knowledgebase doesn't work - it claims I have cookies disabled (which I don't). There's a section describing how to turn on cookies. It's all blank.

I have to ask you as well if you have IE7 installed? After uninstalling 8, did you check to make sure all the folders for 8 are removed? Look in C:\Documents and Settings\usernamel\Application Data\Roxio and remove everything from EMC8 then reboot. Try the install again.

Some more recent versions of Zone Alarm products also cause problems, because they lock som registry keys and will not allow the EMC9 install to write to them. If you have ZA, uninstall it and restart (use Windows firewall if connecting to the internet), then try install of EMC 9. If that is successful, you can reinstall ZA.

Thanks for the suggestions.

grandpabruce

These applications did nothing when double-clicked:

Home

RecordNow Audio

Backup MyPC

Easy Archive

Roxio Backup

RecordNow Copy

Creator Classic

RecordNow Data

Express Labeler

Label Creator

These applications produced the following error message:

Roxio DVD Music Assistant has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

DVD Music Assistant

Easy Audio Capture

LP and Tape Assistant

Music Disc Creator

Sound Editor

This application produced the following error message:

This application has failed to start because DCDeviceManager9.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Disc Copier

These applications opened and ran normally:

CinePlayer

Media Experience

Disc and Device Utility

DVDInfo Pro

These applications produced the following error message:

This application has failed to start because LayoutDll9.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Media Manager

Media Import

PhotoSuite

Media Import

These applications produced the following error messages:

This application has failed to start because CPSCommonTools9.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

This application has failed to start because ROXIPP41.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Lirbrary

Program: ...Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxioWizardLauncher9.exe

This application has requested the Runtmie to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information

Multi Photo Enhance

Panorama Assistant

Photo Email Assistant

Photo Projects Assistant

Slideshow Assistant

CineMagic

This application produced the following error message:

This application has failed to start because dccctrl9.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Disc Image Loader

These applications produced the following error messages:

This application has failed to start because Roxio_VWGuiBase9.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

MyDVD

VideoWave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RVDave

I double checked. No other Beta software is installed. In fact I recently loaded a fresh copy of WXPP SP2 and left any beta stuff behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beerman

I am running Avast Home Edition for AV and firewall services and Windows Firewall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

unklemik

I agree with your assessment on the sorry state of software support. If I can't get thos running by Friday then it is going back to Costco.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beerman

Never had EC8 or any other Roxio product installed. I do have Nero OEM Suite v

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jeanrosenfeld

No ZoneAlarm either and no registry hacks (yet).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steven

I agree with your assessment on the sorry state of software support. If I can't get thos running by Friday then it is going back to Costco.

Have you tried the Support specific for EMC 9 yet?

Click on the Support link at the top right of the page (brings you to the main support page).

On the right is a dropdown to "Choose a Product", use it to pick easy Media Creator 9.x

On the next screen, pick the Contact support link. There are a number of options for contacting support if you want to, including a toll free number for now.

Have you tried any of the official support options or just this user forum (which is not technical support btw).