Question

Have a Mac with an LG 16x Blu-ray Writer and a Verbatim 6x Blu-ray disc and yet it's only writing at 1x speed. Is there some setting that can be changed or does it (Toast) automatically decide what speed to write at ?

3 answers to this question

Beginning with Toast 11.1, Toast is very slow when writing any disc. If you have an earlier version of Toast available you could choose Save as Disc Image with the current version and burn the resulting .toast file using the Image File setting in the earlier version's Copy window. Nothing burns at the media's rated speed because that is only theoretical possible when the outer edge of the disc is being written.

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry if this seems pessimistic but 1x speed ? Invested in the best Blu-ray Writer, the best discs (or so I'm told) not to mention Toast with the Blu-ray plug-in and all that only reaps a 1x burn speed ? Realistically, had I known this would be the result it's doubtful I would've taken the time to install the Blu-ray writer, purchase the discs and the software. Thumbs down guys.

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry if this seems pessimistic but 1x speed ? Invested in the best Blu-ray Writer, the best discs (or so I'm told) not to mention Toast with the Blu-ray plug-in and all that only reaps a 1x burn speed ? Realistically, had I known this would be the result it's doubtful I would've taken the time to install the Blu-ray writer, purchase the discs and the software. Thumbs down guys.

If this is a video disc then try saving as disc image, change the .toast extension to .iso in the Finder and use Apple's built-in disc burning feature to burn the Blu-ray disc using Disk Utility. I haven't tried this but it might work faster. It is shameful how slow Toast burns discs, but that is a Toast problem and not a problem with the media, the optical drive or the Mac.