• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ctrap85

VCD won't play on DVD player, poor quality on other computers

I use Roxio Videowave Movie Creator to capture and edit video. I capture the video in DV compressed AVI format. My son needs to send a short video to college coaches for recruiting purposes. I took clips of my son out of several AVI movies, rendered each clip in MPEG-2 (Best Quality Playback On This Computer) and produced a 6 minute video, also rendered in MPEG-2, with an introduction and transitions. I burned it to a VCD using Sonic MyDVD, but it won’t play on either of my DVD players. The title page appears, but I can’t play the video. (Other VCDs I’ve burned using MPEG-1 video do play on my DVD players, but for this project, I need the best video quality possible.) The VCD does play well on my computer, but the title page does not appear. The VCD also plays on other computers, but the video is not as crisp and the lettering on the introduction clip and on each of the other clips (his uniform color and number) are choppy. I could burn it to DVD+R, but I’m afraid that a coach may not have the capacity to play that format, and I’ve heard that a VCD is more universal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I be rendering the clips in a different format? Thank you.

I use Roxio Videowave Movie Creator to capture and edit video. I capture the video in DV compressed AVI format. My son needs to send a short video to college coaches for recruiting purposes. I took clips of my son out of several AVI movies, rendered each clip in MPEG-2 (Best Quality Playback On This Computer) and produced a 6 minute video, also rendered in MPEG-2, with an introduction and transitions. I burned it to a VCD using Sonic MyDVD, but it won't play on either of my DVD players. The title page appears, but I can't play the video. (Other VCDs I've burned using MPEG-1 video do play on my DVD players, but for this project, I need the best video quality possible.) The VCD does play well on my computer, but the title page does not appear. The VCD also plays on other computers, but the video is not as crisp and the lettering on the introduction clip and on each of the other clips (his uniform color and number) are choppy. I could burn it to DVD+R, but I'm afraid that a coach may not have the capacity to play that format, and I've heard that a VCD is more universal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I be rendering the clips in a different format? Thank you.
Actually, VCD is not very universal when it comes to set top player compatability, especially on newer (last year or so) models. Many current models do not support it now that home DVD creation has taken off more. If it was me, I'd go the DVD route. MPEG2 is the standard video format it uses, and it will give you the best quality and most compatibility.

Guest mlpasley
Actually, VCD is not very universal when it comes to set top player compatability, especially on newer (last year or so) models. Many current models do not support it now that home DVD creation has taken off more. If it was me, I'd go the DVD route. MPEG2 is the standard video format it uses, and it will give you the best quality and most compatibility.

And VCD quality is terrible. :huh: I think it's a mpeg1 file which is very low resolution.

Burn it to a DVD + R AND a DVD - R if you have the capability to do that, and then mail both copies.

There are some DVD players and computers that will only play one type of DVD, but they are getting harder to find. The coach probably has access to a variety of equipment at the school.

Good luck! :)

And VCD quality is terrible. I think it's a mpeg1 file which is very low resolution.

I have to disagree, VCD quality is not terrible!

It is MPEG1 at these rates.

VCD Resolution NTSC/PAL 352x240 352x288 Video Compression MPEG1 Video bitrate 1150 kbit/sec constant bitrate

Audio Compression MPEG1 Audio bitrate kbit/sec 224 kbit/s

MPEG1 during compression takes out redundant frames and audio highs and lows, most people don't hear.

Is MPEG1 as good as MPEG2 no!

MPEG2 DVD at these rates.

DVD Resolution NTSC/PAL 720x480 720x576 Video Compression MPEG2 Video bitrate 3000-9000 kbit/s variable bitrate or constant bitrate

Audio Compression, MPEG2, AC3, DTS, PCM

Audio bitrate 192-448 kbit/s

I agree, if you have the capability, a DVD burner and good + -R media.

I would make a DVD disc for your presentation. Like you say ( I need the best video quality possible.)

Just remember making a DVD from not very good quality source files, makes not very good quality DVD's. The rule, garbage in garbage out.

cdanteek

Guest mlpasley

Sorry. I was just speaking from my personal observations.

I didn't have very good luck with VCD quality using my DVD player. Most of my family couldn't stand to watch it on the tv. Of course, I was using video that had been converted from analog to digital so the quality wasn't spectacular to begin with.

It played ok on my computer, but that screen was smaller than my TV.

I'm sure digital video would be better, but as you say.... not all DVD players will play VCDs.