ECUMC

Gracenote And Frustrations With Program

Question

I am a long time user (going back to Adaptec in the year 2000). I am using this for work. We have a CD with 59 tracks (which is not unusual in my line of work). First, when trying to submit disc info to Gracenote after popping the disc in for audio creator, it got to where I could not type into the track fields (but could in the artist and title fields). I could paste in there, so I typed the tracks into Word and copied and pasted into the box for Gracenote. That was well and good until about half way through when it wouldn't let me go any further (I ran out of room on the screen, there was no scroll bar and it wouldn't move down any further),. I could move the box downwards, but not upwards to see any more tracks or to hit submit even for what I had.

Then, I tried doing it through advanced rip. I entered the artist and title, but it would not let me choose the language (there were not choices) to even get to the tracks. This is absolutely ridiculous.

I also find it sad that the company offers such a complex program with so many features and modules to it, but offer so little support. 14 days? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Most sofware companies support well past that. With a program like this, and the fact I use it only off and on at work, 14 days isn't even enough time to open the hood, and as I recall even within that is only being able to ask one question. That is inexcusable. And from what I can tell that is for activation or installation only. Even that is sad. I am not sure what they offer as far as tech support on using the program or bugs etc.

I also hate how they make each version pretty much not work with previous things. I do seem to be able to open previous versions of labels (thank God), but other things are no longer true, I also hate how if you have a project, but move the media that it doesn't allow you to give it the new path or at least keep the titles on the screen to where you can find them and fix them yourself. That would make re-making CDs easier.

I would like to ask if there is a way to get the program to get the title information from the track titles themselves and not the tags or at least an easy way to edit the tags. So much of what I have doesn't have tag info for MP3s and this too is a pain. I believe the issue happens in label creator, but can't recall. I just know I have had to edit and retype.

This could well end my relationship with Roxio. I love some of the added features, but the older versions were a lot more easy to use. I might continue both at work and home if they could find a way to add the features and powers, give us control over them, but not make things so difficult, and actually have them work.

Edited by ECUMC

7 answers to this question

You said: "We have a CD with 59 tracks "

Are you making a CD or an mp3 disc? Mp3 discs can have many more audio files on them -- they are just data files so you can fit as many as the cd would accept (cd disc divided by size of the files you are trying to put on a disc.

What is the size and format of those CD audio tracks? I have never heard of a cd that would play on a cd player and would have that many tracks. Typically there are less than 20 and often much less.

Are you making a CD or an mp3 disc. Mp3 discs can have many more audio files on them -- they are just data files so you can fit as many as the cd would accept (cd disc divided by size of the files you are trying to put on a disc.

If you have been using a similar program since 2000 (or before) you should have a decent understanding of the way that program works. Have you looked at the help files?

We are not Corel so we can't help doing anything about your support issues.

I am using this for work. We have a CD with 59 tracks (which is not unusual in my line of work).

Artist and title of the CD please?

The CD in question is indeed an audio CD that plays in regular CD players (even ones that do not play MP3 discs), so it is CDDA. It is a rehearsal / accompaniment CD with one song being split into different tracks for ease of rehearsal. I wanted to rip the tracks to WAV, and merge them into a track per song (using Goldwave) when using as a performance track instead of having the song split with rehearsal points for rehearsal, The size of tracks varies from :13 to 1:15 depending on how the song is split for ease of accessing different sections of the song for the choir to learn. This has never been a problem with previous versions of the program.

As far as the CD title, I cannot find anywhere that has its contents listed, but here is a screenshot to prove I have one.post-111764-0-60388400-1413392921_thumb.jpg

Edited by ECUMC

If you have a non-commercial CD with 59 fragment tracks on it, the tracks have no name information, and you are intending to rip and merge them together anyway, why are you trying to get the original 59-track CD recognized and entered into the Gracenote CD database?

Since Gracenote is a commercial entity in its own right, which is not owned by Roxio or Corel, why are you complaining about Gracenote here on the Roxio board?

I would like to ask if there is a way to get the program to get the title information from the track titles themselves and not the tags or at least an easy way to edit the tags.

No, there isn't. As you said, these are CDDA tracks so they don't have tags. The author of the CD could have included CD-Text when burning the disc, but it seems that wasn't done.

The only other way you can get title information for the tracks without typing it in yourself is if someone else has manually typed it into a database such as Gracenote's database or the CDDB, and it seems that hasn't been done.

But that's not Roxio's fault, is it.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon, the CD IS a commercial CD. it is not one I made. It is one for sale at many companies who specialize in choral music.

The Gracenote thing is a function of the Roxio software. I am sure they have used that as a selling point. The problem is not with Gracenote itself, but with Roxio's programming in that they do not have scrollbar or allow the box to be moved up so I can access the later tracks or to submit. So, that IS a Roxo problem.

Edited by ECUMC

Brendon, the CD IS a commercial CD. it is not one I made. It is one for sale at many companies who specialize in choral music.

The Gracenote thing is a function of the Roxio software. I am sure they have used that as a selling point. The problem is not with Gracenote itself, but with Roxio's programming in that they do not have scrollbar or allow the box to be moved up so I can access the later tracks or to submit. So, that IS a Roxo problem.

We think your barking up the wrong tree! Click the link below.

http://www.gracenote...pany/faq/owner/

FAQ - Artists, Labels & Publishers

If you are an artist, label or audio book publisher and you create or distribute music, we want you to upload (submit) your CD information. Submits are free and easy, and when your music is recognized, that means any of the millions of people using our service can find your music recognized in products “Powered by Gracenote.”

How can I upload (submit) my CD to be included in the Gracenote recognition service?

First, you need the CD (we recommend using the final pressing), which you place in your CD ROM drive. Then you need software, such as iTunes, Winamp, or QMP and your computer needs an internet connection.

Then you simply type in all these core details:

Artist name

Album name

Track title

Genre

Year of release

Label name (iTunes doesn’t supply this field)

Then you hit the submit button. Your submit takes two or three days to process before it’s available in our recognition service. Now the specifics for the three most popular submit (upload) software applications.

I have used various software that accesses their database. This one and a database program I used had the same interface as each program to submit. The programmer of the other once told me that he had to pay a certain degree of money to them to access the database from within his program, but it was a selling point for his software. He mentioned this just to ask me if I reinstalled and installed to use the same info to log in or he would be charged for an extra user. I also seem to recall reading at Gracenote some years back that they quit allowing you to submit data through them and you had to use a program with the capabiliity. It appears that when trying to submit the data from one section of this program (the part that wouldn't let me choose the language) might have been Gracenote's own interface, but the one that wouldn't let me scroll down sure appears to be Roxio's own interface as it complements the program in design. Nonetheless, that is something to talk to Roxio / Corel directly and not here.