• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

davrx

Iphoto To Blu-Ray Disc Won't Play On A Blu-Ray Player, Any Suggestions?

Question

I copied all of my photos from iPhoto into a folder per some other discussions within the Toast 12 forum in order to burn them onto blu-ray discs to archive them. I will have to span them across six 25GB discs to hold all of my photos. I only burnt the first disc as a test to see how it worked and I can view the photos on my computer but if I want to view them on a TV with a standard blu-ray player the player doesn't recognize the disc. Is there anything I can do to make these discs compatible with blu-ray players? My intent is to place these discs in a safe deposit box to keep them safe in case of disc failure or loss of the computer but it would be nice to be able to view them without a computer especially since macs no longer even come with optical drives and never have supported blu-ray.

6 answers to this question

Does your Blu-ray player play data discs? Some do, some don't. If yours is one that does you need to choose DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format in the Toast Data window instead of Mac only or Mac & PC. This also means you will not have the disc spanning feature available when choosing Mac Only.

Another option is to choose Blu-ray Video (presuming you have the Blu-ray plugin) in the Toast Video window. In this case Toast will make a slide show (no audio) for playing in a Blu-ray player. Each slide show can have 98 photos and there can be 98 slide shows per disc. There is an option to include the original photos on the disc for access via a computer. Again, the disc spanning is not an option in this case.

To me it is odd you want to archive the photos on disc. Optical discs aren't all that reliable over time. I'd buy a portable hard drive to copy the photos and place that in the safe deposit box. Some Blu-ray players can read a USB hard drive if it is formatted for PC.

Thanks, I tried to use the Photo Disc format in the Toast Data window and every time it gets ready to burn the photos onto the blu-ray disc Toast 12 crashes. According to the Apple error report it's due to "Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE" ?

It was a good idea to test the RAM. I use Rember for that (from Macupdate.com) because some tools aren't as thorough. Presuming your Mac is fine then try doing a test burning to CD-R or DVD media. I forgot about the Photo Disc setting. You could try the DVD-Rom(UDF) setting as a test. It doesn't produce the slide shows for playing on Macs and PCs but it may be a good troubleshooting step. Also, you can try it on the Blu-ray player. The Photo Disc formats as both HFS+ and ISO9660. While the Blu-ray player should read a ISO9660 disc (if it reads data discs) it may be rejecting the disc because of the HFS+ dual formatting.

I'll give the Photo Disc option a test on my Mac.

I did a Photo Disc test burn to a CD-R. My Blu-ray player could not read the disc. It burned okay, though. One thing I don't like with this format is the photos aren't in any folders other than the one created by Toast. I can't image what a Blu-ray-sized folder full of photos might be like to scroll through. Have you considered backing up your photos to Flickr? There is 1-terabyte free storage.

Edited by tsantee