• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Manual Scene Selection

terry_ostlund

Question

14 answers to this question

Detecting and defining scenes in a video clip

You can manually or automatically detect and define new scenes within a larger video clip. Each new scene is created as a new sub-video clip that exists only as part of the larger video clip.

This feature allows you to use each individual scene in your production as if it were a separate video clip.

Note: This feature is available only in the My Media and My Albums views.

To detect scenes automatically:

In the Media Selector, in My Media or My Albums view, right-click the video clip, and choose Scene Detection.

The Scene detection dialog box appears, displaying the video clip in a preview window.

In the Auto detect area, beside Sensitivity, you can use the slider to increase or decrease the auto-detect sensitivity.

Auto-detect creates sub-video clips from larger video clips by detecting changes in the color and brightness in the video, which may indicate a scene change. Increase the sensitivity to create video clips when less change is detected, or decrease the sensitivity to create video clips only when significant changes are detected.

Note: Scenes shorter than three seconds will not be detected.

Click Auto-detect now.

The video clip plays back in fast motion on the preview screen. Each time a new scene is detected, a thumbnail of the first frame of the scene is added as a thumbnail to the list below.

Tip: To stop at any time, click Cancel.

When scene detection is complete, you have these options before saving your changes:

To delete any of the defined scenes, select the thumbnail of the scene and then click Remove. (This will not delete any part of the larger video clip—it will only delete the definition of the scene.)

To add more scenes manually, see below.

To save your changes, click OK.

The larger video clip becomes a “folder” in the My Media and My Albums views that contains split video clips.

To detect scenes manually:

In the Media Selector, My Media or My Albums view, right-click the video clip, and choose Scene detection.

The Scene detection dialog box appears, displaying the video clip in a preview window.

In the preview window, use one of these methods to cue the video to the frame you want to start a new scene:

Drag the slider left or right to move backward or forward through the video clip.

Use the standard preview controls to move forward or backward through the frames of the video clip.

Click Add scene here each time you want to define a new scene.

Each time you define a scene, a thumbnail of the first frame of that scene is added to the thumbnail area.

For each scene you want to define, repeat steps 2 and 3.

To save your changes, click OK.

The larger video clip now becomes a “folder” in the My Media and My Albums views and contains the split video clips.

The point being made was that, contrary to what the help says, there are no buttons relating to manual detection of scenes, only "auto-detect now" and "sensitivity". I am running Videowave in Easy Media Creator 8.

It looks like the help menu could possibly be in error. Jeff posted the way to do it. Have at it, and have fun with the software.

At the top of each Help page is a disclaimer that some features listed may not be in your version. Sonic/Roxio recently has started releasing other versions so it would be safe to assume there will be a version with this feature as some point.

I don’t think that the note in the help file explains the absence of the manual scene detection feature.

The note in Videowave 8 (part of EMC8) is:

NOTE: Depending on the software version you are running, some of the features described below may not be available. For information about upgrading to take full advantage of all the features described in the online Help, visit www.roxio.com.

A similar note in Videowave 7 (part of EMC7) is:

NOTE: Some of the features described below may not be available if you received Easy Media Creator Basic DVD Edition or Basic VCD Edition when you purchased a hardware product. For a list of the features that are not available, see Basic Edition Features.

A similar note was in the help files of MGI Videowave 4 and MGI Videowave 5.

A full retail version of the software should have all of the documented features working.

Manual scene detection was part of my retail version of Easy Mediea Creator 7 Suite. Why is it missing from Easy Meida Creator 8 Suite?

There are a few other features there were also in V7 that are not in this release of V8. Only the person or persons responsible for making those decisions can answer the question.

You must also take into consideration the 'last' version was ROXIO. EMC8 is Sonic/Roxio. Can you imagine the shock of previous Sonic product users?

The point being made was that, contrary to what the help says, there are no buttons relating to manual detection of scenes, only "auto-detect now" and "sensitivity". I am running Videowave in Easy Media Creator 8.

What was posted was word for word out of the help menus, and contrary to both, there is no "Add Scene" button--only auto-detection. Has anyone found otherwise? This is frustrating--as are many things when dealing with these products.

What was posted was word for word out of the help menus,

At the top of each Help page is a disclaimer that some features listed may not be in your version. Sonic/Roxio recently has started releasing other versions so it would be safe to assume there will be a version with this feature as some point.

I "think" it is there in all of MyDVD… I have the 805B30B (ENU)

Maybe Bryan will check his version and double check for the presence of the button.

post-39-1140727812.jpg

Is that in MyDVD when you are creating menus? Can you do that in a project file that you can edit and delete "chapters"?

I "think" it is there in all of MyDVD… I have the 805B30B (ENU)

Maybe Bryan will check his version and double check for the presence of the button.

Archived