• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Changing Location of Temporary files for MyDVD8

Question

I'm wondering if it's possible to change the drive to which MyDVD8 writes temporary files. When I tried to burn a DVD a couple of nights ago I received an error message indicating that there was not enough hard drive space to write the temporary files. I'm sure Drive C is the default drive for the temp files but that drive has very little space left on it and there's no practical way to recoup enough space to solve the problem. I've used a number of other authoring programs and they all allow me to specify where I want the temporary files stored. Is that not possible with MyDVD8?

7 answers to this question

I'm wondering if it's possible to change the drive to which MyDVD8 writes temporary files. When I tried to burn a DVD a couple of nights ago I received an error message indicating that there was not enough hard drive space to write the temporary files. I'm sure Drive C is the default drive for the temp files but that drive has very little space left on it and there's no practical way to recoup enough space to solve the problem. I've used a number of other authoring programs and they all allow me to specify where I want the temporary files stored. Is that not possible with MyDVD8?

With My DVD open go to tools options you can then change the temp file location.

Opp's I was on my other computer which has EMC 9 sorry

Edited by awoo87

Alan,

Are you referring to the one that says "Proxy Files" and "Captured Narration"? Those are the only ones that I see and I've changed those but I still get the same error message. The drive that I've indicated has 18 GB of free space which should be enough I would think. The file I'm trying to burn is only 818 MB. I've also noticed that when I close EMC and reopen it, the file locations revert to the default settings. How can I keep the new settings?

Some temp files use your system temp file settings. change those to point to location with more room.

I've been trying to create a DVD using an MPG recording (project is about 2.74GB) and I'm running into the same problem. When trying to burn to a 4.7GB DVD+R, I get the 'Destination drive doesn't have enough space.' When I try to create the folder set on my D partition (about 32GB free) the progress sits at 0% and doesn't move. I tried using the Live Chat and got some brainiac with a name I couldn't pronounce telling me to free up space on my C drive (currently about 2.14GB free). I tried telling him I'd changed the location of my tmp files:

Right-click 'My Computer' > Advanced Tab > Environment Variables:

both 'TEMP' and 'TMP' values changed to 'D:\___'

This solved the problem with another program I had for converting decrypted DVD projects to MP4 files for my iPod, but why won't it do the trick for EMC Suite 8?

A cheap and cheerful way to free up space on C (presuming that's what you need) is to go to start menu and 'My Documents'. Right click on that, go to properties and you can change the folder to the D drive - it will then nicely ask if you want to transfer your files and proceed to shift them all for you

Edited by gi7omy

I've been trying to create a DVD using an MPG recording (project is about 2.74GB) and I'm running into the same problem. When trying to burn to a 4.7GB DVD+R, I get the 'Destination drive doesn't have enough space.' When I try to create the folder set on my D partition (about 32GB free) the progress sits at 0% and doesn't move. I tried using the Live Chat and got some brainiac with a name I couldn't pronounce telling me to free up space on my C drive (currently about 2.14GB free). I tried telling him I'd changed the location of my tmp files:

Right-click 'My Computer' > Advanced Tab > Environment Variables:

both 'TEMP' and 'TMP' values changed to 'D:\___'

This solved the problem with another program I had for converting decrypted DVD projects to MP4 files for my iPod, but why won't it do the trick for EMC Suite 8?

Did you also change the path for temp files within the software? In MyDVD or VideoWave, go to Tools -> Options and change the temp path there also.

Larry,

I changed the location of the Proxy files to the D partition and I'm having the same problem.

gi7omy,

The first thing I changed on my system was the location of the "My Documents" folder to my D drive, but thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe I should just get a Mac and be done with it!!!