• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Green/yellow Section Across Top

Kurstin

Question

I have the green/yellow section across the top of my VHS videos. I have seen this mentioned in other posts, but don't see a resolution. I have tried 3 VCRs and all are doing the same when plugged into the Roxio converter. I have tried multiple sets of RCA cables. The VCRs play the tapes fine when connected to the TV. I have tried daisy-chaining VCRs, this makes no difference.

This is a new installation on a fresh install of Windows 7 Home. I made sure to wait to plug in my capture device until after installation. I had this installed on a Windows XP machine and didn't experience this issue when coming from my Hi-8 camera.

Has anyone had any luck fixing this issue?

15 answers to this question

Unfortunately, the videos burned to DVD do also have the green/yellow across the top when I put them in the DVD player so it's not just showing on my computer(s) that way. I even installed it on another computer tonight still with no luck. 3 computers/4 VCRs tried, green/yellow sections come and go in all, but hook any of the VCRs up to the TV and no green/yellow section at all.

I'm not sure what resolution the VHS tapes are recorded in but I know they aren't S-VHS. I don't see anywhere on the videos that it tells me, not commercial nor home recorded.

So you didn't record the VHS tapes and you don't have the problem with the Hi8 recordings. Is that correct?

I Googled for that error and found a couple of hits regarding true ratio of the videos. Some old ones may not have been recording at 4 by 3 and some newer ones MAY have issues with the resolutions on your computer.

You may want to try some programs that say they eliminate camera shake. They essentially zoom ion so they get rid of the overscan (?) parts of the video. Yu would have to capture, run the program to zoom in and then put the videos back into the program for burning (or burn with a different program).

Thanks for all the help, but I finally have this working. I have a JVC HR-S3911U VCR out into an SV2000 DVD recorder, out to the Roxio device and into my computer. Crazy way to have to do it, considering I could just record it straight to the DVD recorder, but I do want to make sure everything fits and looks good.

With that set up, does it tell you what the issue is? Seems like the Roxio device is lacking something.

So these ARE NOT commercial VHS tapes???

This one can be very difficult...

Do any tapes record OK? Even use a commercial one as a test.

Aside from the daisy chain, I have run the tape to the end (Stop - Fast Forward) then let it rewind back to the beginning. Doing this a couple of times can fix a lot of woes.

Did you try hooking it up to another VCR and recording it on a new tape? If not, try a short 10 min segment.

Let me know if any of that works ;)

It does this on both commercial and recorded tapes. I tested a commercial tape first, to make sure the VCR played ok (didn't want to "eat" a family memory!)

I did try the fast forward/rewind on more than one tape but received no change. In fact, I always do that with tapes before I play/record them (have for years). I have three VCRs stacked up here and they all put this see-thru greenish bar across the top, sometimes thicker than others. One is a DVD/VCR, tried to pass thru the DVD so it would use S-Video, but I couldn't get the right combo to get it to play.

These are tapes that have been copied from video camera to VHS, so I don't have the original hi-8, but as mentioned, this doesn't show up playing when I connect to a TV.

One more thing I will try before recording from one tape to another is hook up the XP machine again. I had so many issues with that, but eventually got all my hi-8 tapes done. Maybe I'll get lucky.

If I am keeping up on this... We still have only used One Source to test with???

NEED to pull in another Source to confirm that the Device itself is faulty. (it looks that way but another source is needed)

Also, it would help if you had someone with a PC and Composite or S-Video source that you could lend the Software and Device to, to create an independent test.

I realize those are a lot of hoops to jump through -_-

I've tried 4 different VCRs now, all of which work just fine with a TV. The final VCR is using S-Video out which didn't fix the issue either. Also tried commercial and home video tapes.

I didn't notice this coming in THIS bad from a hi-8 camera, but that did have a small area on the bottom of the image. That was using an S-Video cable as well. I've also tried two S-Video cables and 2 or 3 sets of composites.

I don't know of anyone that would have a computer with S-Video or composite ports to have them try.

Unfortunately, I purchased this over two months ago from Dell, been messing with it for over a month, and when I registered, never got a code. Apparently I am SOL, since I'm now out of warranty, with no code, and can't get a refund from either Dell or Roxio. Very frustrating and getting too expensive to continue messing with.

Are you seeing this stripe in both the computer and on your (whatever you are using) to watch the finished videos? Sometimes it is just a computer issue that will not be visible on, for instance a TV.

What is the actual resolution of the original video?

Archived