• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Questions About Blu-Ray Burning & Storage

jasperita@yahoo.com

Question

I HAVE A NEWER iMAC WITH MOUNTAIN LION 10.8.4. I HAVE A LIFE'S GOOD EXTERNAL BLU-RAY WRITER. WHICH I GOT EARLY 2013.

I HAVE TOAST TITANIUM VER 11.1

I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ON BLU-RAY WRITING AND STORAGE.

I WILL BE BURNING AND STORING FINE ART PHOTOS MOSTLY AND A FEW DOCUMENTS.

I KNOW I HAVE TO FORMAT BLU-RAY DISK FOR DYNAMIC WRITING TO BURN SESSIONS ON IT. THIS NEEDS A "BD-RE" DISK (A BLU-RAY REWRITIBLE DISK TO START WITH)? (IS BD-RE THE CORRECT TERM?)

WHICH IS BETTER FOR LONG TERM ARCHIVAL STORAGE, A BD-R, BD-RE, OR BD-RE DL? SO ALSO I AM ASKING, FOR LONG TERM ARCHIVAL STORAGE SHOULD I GO THE RE-WRITIBLE ROUTE?

DO YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF WHICH DISK (BD-R, BD-RE, OR BD-RE DL COULD LAST THE LONGEST AND IS MORE STABLE? WHICH COMPANIES, WHICH MFG BLU-RAY ARE THE MOST DEPENDABLE AND BEST FOR BLU-RAYS THAT ARE GOING TO BE USED FOR LONG TERM STORAGE? HOW ABOUT DELKIN? I DON'T THINK DELKIN MAKES A BD-RE?

HOW DOES BLU-RAY LONG TERM ARCHIVAL STORAGE STACK UP AGAINST DVD OR CD AT THIS TIME, IF YOU KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS?

IF I CAN'T FIND OUT FROM MY BLR-RAY WRITER COMPANY WHICH COMPANY'S DISK WOULD WORK WITH MY MODEL OF WRITER, HOW CAN I FIND OUT ABOUT THIS ASPECT? WHO WOULD KNOW?

HOW MANY SESSIONS COULD I BURN ON THIS BD-RE DISK? CAN YOU ERASE A SESSION AND RE WRITE OVER IT?

ALSO HOW MUCH EXTRA APPROX SPACE DOES SETTING UP A NEW SESSION TAKE ITSELF, BEYOND WHAT YOU PUT IN THE SESSION?

AND I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IF I WAS TO BE BURNING A SESSION ON A RE-WRITIBLE BLU-RAY IN THIS WAY AND THE POWER CUT OUT, I WOULD LOSE THE SESSION, NOT THE WHOLE BLU-RAY. IS THIS RIGHT?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH WITH THE HELP FOR ALL THESE QUESTIONS.

THANK YOU AGAIN,

SANDY

1 answer to this question

Excellent questions. I don't know how well any burned disc is for archival storage. I know my brother couldn't recover content from several DVDs burned a few years ago, so there is some risk. Maybe the folks at Meritline have some insights since they are a major seller of disc media. They also have a community for discussions. Have you googled for articles on this topic? I recollect that rewritable media is better quality and better for archival purposes but I may be mistaken about that.

Archived