Toast 7 On New Intel Macs/ Lacie Lightscribe Dvd Burner

palface

Question

I am keen to buy the new MacBook Pro laptop and a LaCie lightscribe DVD burner with Toast 7 so I have a few questions that need answering before handing over the money.

Has anybody tried running Toast 7 on the new Intel macs to report on its speed of operations? I'm guessing it will run under Rossetta emualation but can anyone tell me when will Roxio release a universal version of Toast?

And finally what are people's experinece with burning Lightscribe DVDs with Toast or other software with the LaCie firewire burner?

cheers

10 answers to this question

Hi,

I have the Lacie Lightscribe DVD Burner connected to my Intel iMac via USB. I am slowly editing family DVDs with one program which creates an audio and video file in a folder on my desktop. I am using Titanium Toast 7 (I think it is the latest or last release) and I can burn new DVDs using the builtin iMac DVD burner but having problems with the Lacie.

The Lacie is identitied and offered as an option. I select it and insert a blank DVD and the burn process begins nicely. Then, at exactly 1min29sec, the Lacie light goes out and Toast 7 just spins and spins. At first I thought it was a bad DVD so I changed to a different brand and tried a different video file but again, at 1min29sec the same thing. I let the Toast 7 spin for an hour then halted the process.

I can copy the DVD contents to the desktop with the Lacie but I cannot complete a DVD burn. I have not tried burning a regular CD.

Any suggestions or does this sound more like a Lacie problem?

Thanks.

Mike

Hi,

I have the Lacie Lightscribe DVD Burner connected to my Intel iMac via USB. I am slowly editing family DVDs with one program which creates an audio and video file in a folder on my desktop. I am using Titanium Toast 7 (I think it is the latest or last release) and I can burn new DVDs using the builtin iMac DVD burner but having problems with the Lacie.

The Lacie is identitied and offered as an option. I select it and insert a blank DVD and the burn process begins nicely. Then, at exactly 1min29sec, the Lacie light goes out and Toast 7 just spins and spins. At first I thought it was a bad DVD so I changed to a different brand and tried a different video file but again, at 1min29sec the same thing. I let the Toast 7 spin for an hour then halted the process.

I can copy the DVD contents to the desktop with the Lacie but I cannot complete a DVD burn. I have not tried burning a regular CD.

Any suggestions or does this sound more like a Lacie problem?

Thanks.

Mike

The first thing to try is updating the firmware in the recorder drive. Alternatively, try saving it as a disc image file by going into the File menu --> Save as a disc image and then burn the saved image file using "Copy" --> Image file.

Toast 7 runs great under Rossetta.

The univeral binary will be a free update for Toast 7 users but I don't have a firm date yet, I'd prefer not to give a date in case it moves but suffice to say as soon as it is ready we'll push it live.

As for LightScribe, Toast doesn't do the actual printing to the LightScribe disc, LaCie includes a seperate application to perform that function.

Hi Patatrox,

I am a new user of Toast 7.0.2 on a MacIntel iMac. Everything seems to work fine except Deja Vu. It appears in the preference pane but I cannot use it, I get an error message saying that "You cannot open Déjà Vu preferences pane on this computer. Contact the developer of this software for a newer version."

Any thoughts? I opened a support ticket on this a week ago but have had no response.

I am keen to buy the new MacBook Pro laptop and a LaCie lightscribe DVD burner with Toast 7 so I have a few questions that need answering before handing over the money.

Has anybody tried running Toast 7 on the new Intel macs to report on its speed of operations? I'm guessing it will run under Rossetta emualation but can anyone tell me when will Roxio release a universal version of Toast?

And finally what are people's experinece with burning Lightscribe DVDs with Toast or other software with the LaCie firewire burner?

cheers

The univeral binary will be a free update for Toast 7 users but I don't have a firm date yet, I'd prefer not to give a date in case it moves but suffice to say as soon as it is ready we'll push it live.

As for LightScribe, Toast doesn't do the actual printing to the LightScribe disc, LaCie includes a seperate application to perform that function.

The first thing to try is updating the firmware in the recorder drive. Alternatively, try saving it as a disc image file by going into the File menu --> Save as a disc image and then burn the saved image file using "Copy" --> Image file.

I did check the Apple site and see there is an update. I downloaded it but haven't installed it yet. I'll look around for any other more recent firmware updates too. According to the Apple site info:

Enhancements Delivered with the Mac OS X 10.1.3 Update (Released 9/20/04; I'm running 10.4.5 so I assume the update is already there but one never knows...)

"Adds or extends compatibility with many FireWire- and USB-based CD burners including: LaCie 16x10x40 U-RW (FireWire connection) and CDRW 24-10-40 U & I (FireWire connection) ..."

The LaCie Slim is USB only and may not be fully supported on the Intel iMac. If that is the case I'll sell it off and replace it with an external burner that is proven to work.

Presently I am able to copy off DVD data/files to a desktop folder, edit the content and reburn using the Intel iMac internal burner but it is already hinting at hardware wear/tear/failure. If it goes out entirely I'd have to return the machine for replacement and I want to avoid that for as long as possible, hence, I need an external that will burn DVDRW/CDRW consistently.

Will be back with any results or observations. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

Hi Patatrox,

I am a new user of Toast 7.0.2 on a MacIntel iMac. Everything seems to work fine except Deja Vu. It appears in the preference pane but I cannot use it, I get an error message saying that "You cannot open Déjà Vu preferences pane on this computer. Contact the developer of this software for a newer version."

Any thoughts? I opened a support ticket on this a week ago but have had no response.

They have released a beta Universal Binary version here...

http://propagandaprod.com/

Steve

I'm having a problem. Just migrated from a G4 iMac to an Intel one. While I'm able to use Toast to create some CDs/DVDs, I'm not able to get it to create a DVD Video using an MPEG 1 file generated from EyeTV.

Toast just sits there, chewing away at the CPUs, saying it is rendering, but the progress bar never moves. It's really spinning it's wheels.

Has anyone else seen this?

I'm having a problem. Just migrated from a G4 iMac to an Intel one. While I'm able to use Toast to create some CDs/DVDs, I'm not able to get it to create a DVD Video using an MPEG 1 file generated from EyeTV.

Toast just sits there, chewing away at the CPUs, saying it is rendering, but the progress bar never moves. It's really spinning it's wheels.

Has anyone else seen this?

Does it work with any file ..??

thanks for the prompt reply Patatrox!

Does it work with any file ..??

Funny you should ask. I was able to create a disk image from a very small file this morning before I headed off to work. I think what is happening is that it is both very slow and also does not update the progress bar until it is done. As I no longer have any large files to convert as I ended up using iMovie and iDVD instead.

While using iMovie and iDVD worked, and while you can use it to do amazing things, all I really wanted was a DVD that allowed me to play the movie with some automatic "chapters" I could forward and reverse from. Toast is wonderful for this -- nothing fancy, and just does it with no futzing about by the user -- perfect!

I'll give it another go and see how long it takes with a longer item the next time I record something. Maybe I can do a benchmark against my older 700Mhz G4.

Archived