jeffjaco1175

Why Does Toast 10 Say I Don't Have Enough Space To Burn My Project When I Do?

Question

The bar at the bottom doesn't even fill up to 4.7GB so It should be enough to burn the project. Why does it say there is not enough space when there clearly is enough space.

11 answers to this question

Is it saying there isn't enough room on "disc" or on "disk"? If disc then it is the blank disc. If it is disk then it is the hard drive. Also, a DVD disc has a 4.38 GB capacity, not 4.7.

What are you having Toast create? Is it a data DVD or video DVD? What settings in Toast? I don't know why you are encountering a problem if Toast's scale at the bottom of the window shows the content will fit.

It is a blank dvd I'm trying to burn home movies of. On the DVD it says it can hold up to 4.7GB.

A blank DVD actually has a capacity of 4.38 GB. The label on the disc uses a different way of calculating a GB than computers use.

I'm not a Toast user, so this is the "dark side" for me. But a 4.7/4.38 GB (single layer) DVD can hold about 1 hour of video at high quality. My guess is that your Toas settings are for high quality, and it's saying that at that quality level, it can't fit the movie onto the disc.

A few things you can try:

Trim the video down to 1 hour, and see if that make Toast happy.

Use a DL DVD disc with more space, and see if that fixes the problem.

Select a lower quality setting.

I'm not a Toast user, so this is the "dark side" for me. But a 4.7/4.38 GB (single layer) DVD can hold about 1 hour of video at high quality. My guess is that your Toas settings are for high quality, and it's saying that at that quality level, it can't fit the movie onto the disc.

A few things you can try:

Trim the video down to 1 hour, and see if that make Toast happy.

Use a DL DVD disc with more space, and see if that fixes the problem.

Select a lower quality setting.

Toast adjusts the bit rate even at the high-quality setting to fit more than 2 hours to a standard DVD if necessary, presuming the OP is trying to make a video DVD and not just copying videos to a data DVD. When making a video DVD even longer videos can fit by first choosing Save as Disc Image. If the disc image is too big for a single-layer disc Toast can use its "fit-to-DVD" requantization to make it work when burning from the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window.

Maybe the OP is making a data disc and the files (which happen to be videos) are larger than 4.38 GB total.