Audio Sync Problem

null@the-bennetts.com

Question

I’m using VideoWave 8 to combine 6 or 7 mpg video files. I add each video file to the timeline view, and then insert a blank panel to create a separate title intro for each video segment. I may trim the beginning/ending of some of the mpeg files.

My problem begins when I preview the video. Usually any video file I add after the 2nd or 3rd mpeg file, the audio becomes out of sync with the video by several seconds. When each mpeg video file is played independently, there are no audio sync problems. But after they are added to a single video project, that’s when the audio gets messed up. However the first and second video/audio segments usually seem fine, but audio further down into timeline seems to get out of sync?

Anyone have any ideas, is this a bug?

Jim

:)

9 answers to this question

OK, how about posting your computer specs. :) Perhaps we can see something there. We are all assuming that your computer is free of malware and that you have updated the audio and video drivers. That you have your computer set to best performance (viaWindows) and that you have plenty of free space on a defragged hard drive. Are you working from an external hard drive?

What is the source and format of the videos?

:huh:

I cleared the proxy, but no help. I took an mpeg file, added a couple of other videos to it, and the exact same symptoms, video/audio become incresingly out of sync the further you get into the video. Why??

Please help Sonic Solutions/Roxio

So back to the main question, what’s broke in EMC8 and when will it be fixed?

My video files are Mpeg2 format.

I have done some research and discovered some interesting facts.

MPEG-2 files have unofficial varieties; so much so that one analog-to-digital converter may produce a file that can only be read properly by that maker’s software. It need not be this way, but, based on the number of sync problems I saw (with different products, by the way), the problem is prevalent.

I have downloaded and installed trial versions of Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0, Ulead VideoStudio 9, and VideoReDo 2.2. The first two may be considered competitors of Roxio, while the last is a specialty utility designed to do simple editing and audio sync fixes.

First I loaded the same files into each of these programs as well as Roxio’s Videowave and MyDVD to see how they would be previewed. Premiere, Videowave, and MyDVD had sync problems, while VideoStudio did not. VideoReDo was able to fix the problem and it played flawlessly, as did Windows Media Player 10, PowerDVD 6.0, and ATI’s Multimedia FilePlayer. Sonic CinePlayer was the only player I tested that had the sync problem.

So the big question is: what are the editors in the group (Ulead VideoStudio and VideoReDo) doing RIGHT to get well synchronized sound and video? Of the players, what are Windows Media Player and PowerDVD doing RIGHT that CinePlayer is not?

Roxio, are you listening?

OK, how about posting your computer specs. :) Perhaps we can see something there. We are all assuming that your computer is free of malware and that you have updated the audio and video drivers. That you have your computer set to best performance (viaWindows) and that you have plenty of free space on a defragged hard drive. Are you working from an external hard drive?

What is the source and format of the videos?

I have a simirar problem and a similar setup, using an AMD 3000 processor, 250G HD, 1.5 G Ram, ATI ALL IN WONDER 9000, Audugy sound card, latest ATI drivers, latest EMC 8 patch, latest Creative drivers, Windows XP Pro.I went so far as to reformat the hard drive, reinstall XP Pro, all Windows updates, and just ATI, Roxio, Creative and Firefox software. With this setup I should have no fragmenting problems and I hope no software incompabilities. I record from Direct TV with the All in Wonder card and there is no problem with the file on the hard disk when viewed before recording to DVD. There is an exteme sync problem when burned to the DVD. I never had this problem with EMC 7 ot 7.5. I also tried changing the file formats but that did not help either. I am about ready to go back to 7.5

Bill

Here are more details.

I took the dmsm file I made with EMC8, and decided to try it with EMC7_5, guess what; it played flawlessly, no video/audio out of sync problems for the entire video clip. I then decided to add a single color panel to the end of the video, save it with EMC7_5, and then attempt to replay it with EMC8. I was thinking that EMC7_5 might “clean up” whatever the problem might be, however EMC8 chokes while trying to open the file with a Windows error: “VideoWave8.exe – Application Error, The instruction at 0x0b7f1691 referenced memory at 0x206ab000. The memory could not be written, click ok to terminate”.

A second message appears, “VideoWave8.exe – Application Error, The Exception Privileged Instruction occurred in the application at location 0x0b7f169c.

So back to the main question, what’s broke in EMC8 and when will it be fixed?

My video files are Mpeg2 format.

Here is my System Configuration info as requested:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

System type: X86-based PC

Processor(s): 2 Processor(s) Installed.

[01]: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz

[02]: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz

BIOS Version: A M I - 10000429

Total Physical Memory: 1,535 MB

Available Physical Memory: 734 MB

Virtual Memory: Max Size: 2,048 MB

Virtual Memory: Available: 2,008 MB

Virtual Memory: In Use: 40 MB

NetWork Card(s): 3 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Cisco Systems 350 Series PCI Wireless LAN Adapter

[02]: Intel® PRO/1000 CT Network Connection

[03]: 1394 Net Adapter

Name Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)

Manufacturer Creative Technology, Ltd.

Status OK

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ctaud2k.sys (5.12.01.0283-1.42.0000, 481.02 KB (492,560 bytes), 05/19/2003 8:32 AM)

Name SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Manufacturer Analog Devices, Inc.

Status OK

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys (5.12.01.3576, 530.63 KB (543,360 bytes), 05/19/2003 8:32 AM)

Name RADEON 9800 PRO

Adapter Type RADEON 9800 PRO AGP (0x4E48), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description RADEON 9800 PRO

Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6517

Resolution 1024 x 768 x 75 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6517, 963.50 KB (986,624 bytes), 02/22/2005 5:36 PM)

I have a simirar problem and a similar setup, using an AMD 3000 processor, 250G HD, 1.5 G Ram, ATI ALL IN WONDER 9000, Audugy sound card, latest ATI drivers, latest EMC 8 patch, latest Creative drivers, Windows XP Pro.I went so far as to reformat the hard drive, reinstall XP Pro, all Windows updates, and just ATI, Roxio, Creative and Firefox software. With this setup I should have no fragmenting problems and I hope no software incompabilities. I record from Direct TV with the All in Wonder card and there is no problem with the file on the hard disk when viewed before recording to DVD. There is an exteme sync problem when burned to the DVD. I never had this problem with EMC 7 ot 7.5. I also tried changing the file formats but that did not help either. I am about ready to go back to 7.5

Bill

Bill,

I tried 2 things, with a result that worked. It took an extra step, and I am not sure which change made the difference. Frankly, I am tired of doing Roxio’s testing – but I digress.

First I opened MyDVD, went to the Tools/Options… menu. There, I changed Render using from Hardware to Software.

Then, instead of burning to Disc, I used the option to Create folder set (to hard drive).

Finally, I used Disc Copier to copy to DVD.

Something tells me it is the Software options, and I may run more tests this week – or not.

Good luck.

Similar problem. Rather than having several short mpg's, I have 1 or 2 longer ones, 40 minutes or so each.

I find that a/v sync problem begins early (4-5 minutes into the file). However, it is very "mild". Somewhere around the 15 minute mark, it get more pronounced, and by 20- or 25-minutes in, the sync problem is several seconds long.

Unfortunately, nothing I have tried fixes this. Segmenting the file into several smaller ones did not work. Making an image file (iso) onto hard drive first made no difference.

Someone suggested using another format, i.e., AVI, but this does not work for me because I run into a 4gb file size problem.

My computer has the speed (3ghz), memory (2gb), and storage (460gb HD) necessary to do the job, and no other program run concurrently, but EMC8 cannot do the job. In the few months I had EMC8, I am yet to produce 1 successful DVD.

Is anyone at Roxio listening?

That is strange. Try this; go to tools/options and then delete the proxy files. This deletes any old files that may be hanging around as well as the files that you are working on. The files that you need for this production are immediately rebuilt. Somtimes stray audio files show up in the preview. You can also try rendering the production to a DVD file. After it completes, play the preview.

Archived