• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

atchie

Videowave 8 --

Question

I'm really frustrated right about now. Errors galore.

Now I was thinking for a moment that all was well as I could suddenly play in the preview (videowave edit)....but it stopped about halfway thru and went back to the start. It played again with the same results. Then I realized that there was a highlighted box around the "snap to object" icon. Not knowing what the heck it does I searched here, (no help--just someone else asking the same question) and decided to bravely click on it. Apparently it was clicked. This may be what is causing it to not play all the way through?????? Even after clicking it, it still didn't play through.

Now I'm curious, what does that button do anyway???

13 answers to this question

I'm really frustrated right about now. Errors galore.

Now I was thinking for a moment that all was well as I could suddenly play in the preview (videowave edit)....but it stopped about halfway thru and went back to the start. It played again with the same results. Then I realized that there was a highlighted box around the "snap to object" icon. Not knowing what the heck it does I searched here, (no help--just someone else asking the same question) and decided to bravely click on it. Apparently it was clicked. This may be what is causing it to not play all the way through?????? Even after clicking it, it still didn't play through.

Now I'm curious, what does that button do anyway???

Well it is obvious :D

_

_

_

_

I read the definition in the help pages and darned if I can figure it out. :D

Working with the Timeline view

The Timeline view of the Production Editor is a way of editing your production by viewing all the tracks at the same time. It gives you precise control of your edits on a timescale, and also lets you layer your tracks.

Tip: You can use the Timeline Snap Objects command on the View menu to snap objects to each other when you move them.

I wonder if this means that if you use that command and then move, for instance a video, if the text, music, overlay would come with the object you moved. Doesn't sound right. I wonder if you selected all the images, selected the snap to command and then copied the images, then everything selected could be copied to a new project. Sometime when I have more time and am feeling contemplative, I'll do more thinking. Hopefully, someone else will know and post before I have to do that. :):huh:

Edited by sknis

Well it is obvious :D

_

_

_

_

I read the definition in the help pages and darned if I can figure it out. :D

Working with the Timeline view

The Timeline view of the Production Editor is a way of editing your production by viewing all the tracks at the same time. It gives you precise control of your edits on a timescale, and also lets you layer your tracks.

Tip: You can use the Timeline Snap Objects command on the View menu to snap objects to each other when you move them.

I wonder if this means that if you use that command and then move, for instance a video, if the text, music, overlay would come with the object you moved. Doesn't sound right. I wonder if you selected all the images, selected the snap to command and then copied the images, then everything selected could be copied to a new project. Sometime when I have more time and am feeling contemplative, I'll do more thinking. Hopefully, someone else will know and post before I have to do that. :):huh:

Hehe! For some reason this reminds me of the Life cereal commercial...

I'm not gonna try it---YOU try it!

If I wasn't so into this project at hand, I would spend some time on a "junk" project just to see what the "mystery" is all about.

You try it! :D

Hehe! For some reason this reminds me of the Life cereal commercial...

I'm not gonna try it---YOU try it!

If I wasn't so into this project at hand, I would spend some time on a "junk" project just to see what the "mystery" is all about.

You try it! :)

Found this in the help for this window.

14084.jpg

So.....did you do it? :D:D

I would if I could but I only have V9 on my computer. :) What? V8 and V9 are the same in this? :D

OK, I played around with this and my preliminary diagnosis is that it is a broken appendix. Sort of like in your body. Its there, no one knows what it is for but sometimes it can cause a problem. :D:D:D

Seriously, I could not get it to do anything, I have search the manual, searched the knowledge base and searched asked :huh: Roxanne, Googled Nothing.

Don't think it caused your original problem.

Hi folks,

The Snap to Object, when the button is highlighted, snaps objects such as text, effects, narration, etc. to either the exact beginning or the end of a video/picture on the video track. When the button is not highlighted, a user can drag the object to any location, such as in the middle of a clip/picture. When the button is active, a red line appears at either the beginning or the end of the object to be moved.

I am not sure how useful that feature is and it may have other functions I have not figured out.

Hope that helps.

I decided to play around in a junk production.

Went to timeline and messed around as much as I could, adding audio, "snapping to object", adding more frames, deleting frames...I can not see what the snap to object does.

Merv, if you have actually used this feature, could you give us a break down of the procedure and what the end result was?

Snap to Object....one of the great mysteries currently in my life =)

I decided to play around in a junk production.

Went to timeline and messed around as much as I could, adding audio, "snapping to object", adding more frames, deleting frames...I can not see what the snap to object does.

Merv, if you have actually used this feature, could you give us a break down of the procedure and what the end result was?

Snap to Object....one of the great mysteries currently in my life =)

Hi, atchie

Try this just as an example (refer to the attachment below)

1. Open Videowave to a new production and insert 3 pictures along with transitions

2. Click Show Effect Selector, click the tab with the green star, and insert any video effect on the external effects track.

3. Shorten the video effect by grabbing the right edge and pulling to the left. Shorten the effect to about the length of one picture on the video track.

4. Click the Snap to Object button

5. Point to the video effect, click and hold the left mouse button and drag the effect to close to the beginning of the second picture.

6. You should see a red vertical line at some point directly to the left of the video effect. That red line indicates that the video effect is positioned at exactly the beginning of the second slide. If you keep dragging the video effect to the right the red line will jump to the end of the video effect indicating the end of the effect is aligned exactly at the end of the picture.

The above can be done with text, narration, overlays, sound effects, etc. as well as the video effect used in the example. It is designed to align any object placed on the external tracks with the exact beginning or end of a picture or video clip on the video track. Notice, if you have the Snap to Object deactivated, aligning the objects is a hit or miss proposition.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Oops. Forgot to add the attachment

post-72-1160849068.jpg

Edited by Merv

Hi, atchie

Try this just as an example (refer to the attachment below)

1. Open Videowave to a new production and insert 3 pictures along with transitions

2. Click Show Effect Selector, click the tab with the green star, and insert any video effect on the external effects track.

3. Shorten the video effect by grabbing the right edge and pulling to the left. Shorten the effect to about the length of one picture on the video track.

4. Click the Snap to Object button

5. Point to the video effect, click and hold the left mouse button and drag the effect to close to the beginning of the second picture.

6. You should see a red vertical line at some point directly to the left of the video effect. That red line indicates that the video effect is positioned at exactly the beginning of the second slide. If you keep dragging the video effect to the right the red line will jump to the end of the video effect indicating the end of the effect is aligned exactly at the end of the picture.

The above can be done with text, narration, overlays, sound effects, etc. as well as the video effect used in the example. It is designed to align any object placed on the external tracks with the exact beginning or end of a picture or video clip on the video track. Notice, if you have the Snap to Object deactivated, aligning the objects is a hit or miss proposition.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Oops. Forgot to add the attachment

Great job, Merv!

"Mystery" solved!!!

Great job, Merv!

"Mystery" solved!!!

Thanks Jess. Every now and then there is a post I can answer. :) Hope it solved the mystery for atchie.

Edited by Merv

Thanks Jess. Every now and then there is a post I can answer. :) Hope it solved the mystery for atchie.

I learned, too! Thanks.

Thank You Merv!

Now I know it's not the malfunction button :huh:

I printed up your post so I will have it when I next open my project :D

~Atchie