Do I Have To Install Everything?

timdugs03

Question

Please be kind, i don't know if this belongs here or should be broken into two posts.

Okay, just how important is drag to disc? As far as i can tell, i don't use it, i don't want to use it, and all it does is soak up (even small amounts of memory). Also, I really don't want to use the roxio media watch, or or anything that has anything to do with sharing files over the internet, so why is symantec telling me the videowave is attempting to connect to a dns ---after second fresh install of OS and install of antivirus software?

All this stems from the fact that files i recorded using an ati usb2.0 external capture card, and ati launchpad/ mmc software to record, MPEG2 DVD format, (as they put it NTSC (525) 29.97 fps standard),**I HAVE A FEELING PART OF MY PROBLEM STEMS FROM THE FACT THAT WHEN I RUN THEIR "PC CHECK" FEATURE, IT LISTS THE CAPTURE RATE AT 30 FPS [i'm still waiting to hear back from their support people but it has been about 3 weeks now] 720x480 resolution with deinterlacing options set to progressive source, audio is set to 48.000khz, 16 bit, stereo...Video Encoding Parameters, variable bit rate at 8mb/s with a target rate of 8mb/s, motion estimation quality is 84 of 100, Audio encoding paramaters 224 K Bit/sec. These are almost the default settings, with almost no tweaking or monkeying with the settings by me to get the above. I also am recording in 16x9 aspect....at least that is the way they look when played back in windows, cineplayer.

The resulting files play great on my computer with excellent quality, when i use roxio 8.05 updated retail version of EMC8 videowave to cut off a few seconds at the beginning and end of the clip, the audio has about a 15% chance of staying accurate to the video, and about a 5% chance of staying accurate to the dvd burn process. Even when i use files created thru roxio's use of the ati capture. Thinking it was an ATI issue i captured a dvd i made, one of 3 i was able to make successfully with 7.5 retail. Again any sort of editing resulted in audio inconsistancy. The successful burn, resulted in a dvd that seemed to have a pulse, the picture would fade in and out slightly, on both of my tvs a 50 inch sony sxrd flat panel tv and a 50 inch mitsubishi rear projection w/ 480 component input, and 6 different dvd players, 2 sony, 2 toshiba, 2 rca. (I'm just waiting to not have to worry about trying to make a dvd and just hook the pc up to the sony tv, since i can't really make a dvd with 1980x1080 resolution).

Taking into consideration that it had been over 6 months since i did a fresh install of OS, i opted to do just that, worked with MS support to make sure it was done right, and installed xp pro all the way up to jan 2006. Throwing caution into the wind i didn't install anti-virus software and opted to hunt through hard copies of the registry for any viruses, another call to MS to get help shutting off all the warnings and programs that ran in the background under these conditions...installed only the basics necessary for my cable modem, and ad-ware removal, installed EMC8 retail, opened up all the applications, ignored the prompt to upgrade, closed it, got a whole host of error messages (that flew by too fast to make any note of any, i am not able to find them anywhere on the logs) when i tried to restart computer...graph notify lasted the longest. It never asked me to insert the content cd at all. After restart I installed the 8.05 upgrade by running it right from the install-shield window. Still the videos have audio problems, i transfer the mpegs from an external hard-drive to my internal hard drive, verify the file, disconnect the external hard drive, restart computer and beginning working with the files. Through-out the process i defragment as needed and always record to int. hard drive first, then transfer to ext. so the only file in my documents are these video files. It did not seem to matter if i worked on them before transfering them back and forth, the audio is always off.

Any ideas? I know other posts cover these topics immensely, however i wanted to make sure it wasn't something specific to my system; as the fixes covered did not seem to apply to me or did not alleviate the situation, is it something with the sound card?

Dell 8400 xp pro sp 2

P4 3.20 G 533mhz 1mb cache w/ Hyperthreading Enabled (lists two processors from one thing?)

2G SDRAM 1dimm ( i think...it is just 2 chips each one 1 G)

256mb ATI Radeon X800XL pci express

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 24 bit live

160 G Serial ATA hard drive

(2) 300 G Ext Hard Drives

Sony VRD VC10 DVD-RW ext

NEC3100AD 16x DVD-RW int. (the next thing to be replaced)

DirectX 9.0c

8 answers to this question

Okay let me see if i can shrink it down, or elaborate w/ less words.

i don't know if it falls under the audio sync category, entirely. Or a step in my process that is throwing th whole thing out of whack. The files i made from 30 minute long tv shows, are all individual clips in mpeg2 format, i start recording the show at least 30 seconds before it starts, and 30 seconds into a commercial with about 6-10 minutes of show in the middle. When I go back to edit, i use videowave to trim off the commercials, normally I go back 10 -15 frames from the start of the show and find that black screen where the audio from the commercial stops and the shows audio starts, the reverse for the end of the clip....here is where i re-noticed that tendency to have the last image ghost. By that i mean that after selecting the end point the frame right after it always pops up. Even if i continue to go back one more. I saw some info about that a while ago something about the memory not releasing the image right or something...in the old emc7.5.

As for roxwatch, i did that and...right clicked and selected to not watch folders, however the program would still pop up in task manager. And it did not seem to matter even after the upgrade was installed the home page would lag in returning until i closed out roxwatch...videowave was already gone from task manager, so i don't think it is that particular issue.

I don't know if this could be relevant to your problem, but for the sync problem, on the old boards Patrick had posted a hotfix (don't know if it has been reposted on the new board):

Problem: When attempting to use DVR-MS files in a VideoWave or MyDVD project, the audio and video go out of sync.

Solution: Please close any running instances of VideoWave or MyDVD and then download and install the following hotfix:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/c8/dvrms_hotfix.exe

Once installed, restart your computer and then create a new project using the same DVR-MS files as before and you should no longer experience audio/video sync issues.

Message Edited by patatrox on 11-27-2005 09:35 PM

End Quote

That link is still active, it downloads the hotfix.

To stop roxiowatch, etc. from loading at startup, see my suggestions in

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=97

I don't know if this could be relevant to your problem, but for the sync problem, on the old boards Patrick had posted a hotfix (don't know if it has been reposted on the new board):

Problem: When attempting to use DVR-MS files in a VideoWave or MyDVD project, the audio and video go out of sync.

Solution: Please close any running instances of VideoWave or MyDVD and then download and install the following hotfix:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/c8/dvrms_hotfix.exe

Once installed, restart your computer and then create a new project using the same DVR-MS files as before and you should no longer experience audio/video sync issues.

Message Edited by patatrox on 11-27-2005 09:35 PM

End Quote

That link is still active, it downloads the hotfix.

To stop roxiowatch, etc. from loading at startup, see my suggestions in

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=97

Thank you for the heads up, let me just say Roxanne never mentioned anything about a hotfix even being around for 8, the #$^@ thing keeps given me info for versions of this product i don't have :) ,and i haven't checked your roxwatch suggestion yet, but mine was to uninstall the thing, after the second uninstall attempt after the first one said it succeeded in modifying the program, was odd, but the computer didn't crash, the roxwatch nonsense was gone.

On the off chance, it is my computer, but the hotfix has the orange circle of emc7/7.5...and i see your link has it from c8 so does that mean it will work on EMC8....? just idle curiosity before i run it.

a few hours later, the audio is fine, THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK, THREE OTHER ATTEMPTS TO USE IT PREVIOUSLY FAILED AT 75%, AND REBOOTED ME..........THIS TIME IT WENT TO 100 AND WORKED, only thing though is i'm not sure if it was because i was rendering a 720X480 image already at the 'best' quality settings, but i had to create a template and select 1280X720, or 1980X1080, if i didn't the image would halt and produce the gray screen w/ mpeg ...the dashboard idiot light for something is not right, a la check engine soon. I'm going to monkey around with the settings ...gingerly...and when i get some dvd-rw's tomorrow i'll check the quality of dvd burn, but i still have enough coasters from last time so i need to pick up a couple of fresh rw's. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!

D2D is about the least important thing you could put on your computer.It has a habit of making discs that lose data in a short period of time as does any packet writing software.Just about anyone on here will tell you that.As far as Roxio watch is concerned,just turn it off.Go to the icon in the task bar,right click and hit stop watching folders.

The rest I'm not too sure of as I don't do much video.There's lots more people that do way more that I'm sure will chime in on that part.

All the hotfixes that Patrick has posted on the EMC 8 boards, refer specifically to EMC8. They do all have an orange icon rather than the blue EMC8 icon, but I don't think that is significant..

As the hotfixes are intended to solve specific problems, and as I have not (yet) encountered any of those, I haven't installed any of the hotfixes. I just downloaded them in case I need them later :-)

Archived