Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Who?

Tivo And Blu-Ray Question

Question

I have a question in regards to Roxio Creator NXT 3 Pro. I have a TiVo and purchased the Desktop software program for my PC.

I recorded a show on my TiVo that was In HD 1080i for exactly 4 hours. The file size was about 23 GB. I want to burn that to a Blu-ray disc. However I have a question in regards to this. First my PC is a Windows 8.1 64 bit system and I meet all the criteria except my concern is that my PC resolution can only go up to 1366X768 can I still burn a Blu-ray at 1080i? I haven't bought a Blu-ray burner yet but I was looking at this model on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-506CB-RSBD-Blu-ray-External/dp/B00JJGFRIQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1424142385&sr=1-2&keywords=blu-ray+burner

and these type of Blu-ray Disc on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Blu-ray-Recordable-25-Disc-97457/dp/B00471HK0Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424142518&sr=1-1&keywords=BD-R

Would these be okay to burn Blu-ray? But remember my max resolution is 1366X760. Also If I decided I don't want to burn Blu-ray and I want to put it on a DVD-R disc. This model on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Branded-Recordable-50-Disc-95101/dp/B00081A2KY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424142814&sr=1-1&keywords=Verbatim+DVD-R

It can only hold 4.7 GB of data so does that mean I can still burn it to those DVD's but burn them to 5 separate discs so It totals 23GB and If so how do I do this?

Also I'm not sure I understand how to do the video editing to get rid of commercials because I can't seem to get the markers to lineup right to edit video. I also tried to do it in creating your own DVD and used the different chapters, but when I get to the third chapter the second chapter that I edited goes back to the beginning. I can't create any more than two chapters with out problems? Am I doing something wrong? What do I need to do? Please help as I am past my 30 day support!

Mr. Who?

6 answers to this question

I know nothing about converting TiVo into standard movie files...

But I can address some of your other questions.

Your screen or TV resolution have absolutely nothing to do with any of this! It is the FILE Quality (e.g 1920X1080) and bit-rate

Roxio cannot do Blu-ray in 4K at this time so the 1920 X 1080 is the best you can do ;)

You can cheat yourself in Quality to gain Time but I do not recommend it!!!

BD Quality (Blu-ray quality)

HQ: 1920 X 1080 30 Mbps

SP: 1920 x 1080 25 Mbps

LP: 1440 X 1080 20 Mbps

ELP: 1280 X 720 15 Mbps

Otherwise expect a BD to hold these times:

Blu-ray 25 GB Capacity:

• HQ— 3:29
  • SP— 4:00
  • LP— 4:43
  • EP— 6:24

Blu-ray 50 GB Capacity:

• HQ— 6:59
  • SP— 8:02
  • LP— 9:27
  • EP— 12:50

Technically there is not such thing as a BD on a DVD... There IS a project known as an AVCHD which can only be burned onto a DVD disc. but the time availble really drops:

DVD AVCHD Capacity:

AVCHD on a 4.7 DVD (thanks to ggrussell)

• HQ – 00:40:24 @ 1920 X 1080P = 40 min
  • SP – 00:50:16 @ 1920 X 1080I
  • LP – 1:00:00 @ 1440 X 1080I
  • EP – 1:24:31 1280 X 720P

AVCHD on 8.5 DVD

• HQ – 1:13
  • SP – 1:24
  • LP – 1:39
  • EP – 2:15

AND we did not even mention Copyright...

Roxio as well as all other commercial software WILL NOT copy any material that is copyrighted -_-

Otherwise your suggested Burner and Media look fine, although you can never go wrong using Verbatim (Singapore) and Taiyo Yuden (JVC) media ;)

Thank-you for the reply back! Sorry It has taken me so long to reply back! I took what you said in regards to quality settings for burning in Blu-ray and tried to burn to a Blu-ray in the copy and convert menu. I got an error message back saying the maximum resolution of converted TiVo recordings is restricted. I couldn't burn anything except in 720X480 in DVD which is not what I want considering that is Standard Definition and my program I recorded is in High Definition. I knew copyright wasn't an issue because of TiVo Desktop Plus you can transfer shows to Roxio as long as they are not copy protected. TiVo Desktop's plus program would let you know if it were protected because there would be a ! over the link to transfer and say copyright protected. I was getting very frustrated and thought maybe the Roxio program was causing an issue so I uninstalled and re-installed about 8 times still with the same issue. So I googled this "maximum resolution of converted TiVo recordings restricted" and I came up with this from 2010 on this forum. Here is the link

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/62445-the-maximum-resolution-of-converted-tivo-recordings-is-restricted/

And read what gi7omy said by this link

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?61538-How-to-add-video-to-VUZE

Come to find out it is a TiVo issue not a Roxio issue and I'm not going to hijack my TiVo nor do I want to record in 544X480 which is well below Standard Definition. So I reinstalled my software only to find out that my product key has been entered to many times. So I searched this forum on what to do about that and came across this link

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/108533-another-me-too-split-from-mhijacked-thread/

and I submitted a pm to rox-ralf how ever he read my message at 1:52 A.M. Central Standard Time on Friday morning but never responded back to me and still can't enter product key. I figured its because I has purchased the product in late November and because I'm past my 14 days of free support I had to pay $19.00 for paid priority support to clear my product key. I submitted my ticket today at 6:23 P.M. and I have yet to hear back from them. When I do and get thing installed again I will let you know how it goes.

So to sum this all up TiVo I guess has restrictions on resolution of recordings. But I did discover that through TiVo Desktop when I transfer my shows it goes into a TiVo Recordings folder I can make a copy of the file and put it on my external hard drive and I can have it forever to be able to watch through Windows Media Player!

Thank for all the information!

Mr. Who?

[snip]

Come to find out it is a TiVo issue not a Roxio issue and I'm not going to hijack my TiVo nor do I want to record in 544X480 which is well below Standard Definition. So I reinstalled my software only to find out that my product key has been entered to many times. So I searched this forum on what to do about that and came across this link

and I submitted a pm to rox-ralf how ever he read my message at 1:52 A.M. Central Standard Time on Friday morning but never responded back to me and still can't enter product key. I figured its because I has purchased the product in late November and because I'm past my 14 days of free support I had to pay $19.00 for paid priority support to clear my product key. I submitted my ticket today at 6:23 P.M. and I have yet to hear back from them. When I do and get thing installed again I will let you know how it goes.

Mr. Who?

It's the weekend. Hopefully, you will hear from him tomorrow.

...But I did discover that through TiVo Desktop when I transfer my shows it goes into a TiVo Recordings folder I can make a copy of the file and put it on my external hard drive and I can have it forever to be able to watch through Windows Media Player!

Thank for all the information!

Mr. Who?

And how does that work out?

Do you still get full res playback?

I think he replied from my submitted ticket his name was Ralf. Coincidence maybe? LOL! Anyway he extended my download time and reset my product key so I'm good to go! However I'm going to be gone until Thursday sometime so I'll install on Thursday and I left the ticket open to make sure when I install everything works out okay and then on Friday or so I'll close the ticket. I'll be glad to have the product again on Thursday! I miss the features of it!

Mr. Who?

How It works is first you have to purchase TiVo Desktop Plus from TiVo via this site https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/desktop-plus Then the send you the product key and the download link via email. Then you download and enter your media access number from your TiVo box, then you enter your product key and login to your TiVo account. Then you download the software patch from the same site https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/desktop-plus Then you can transfer your non copy protected recorded programs. It goes to a folder called My Tivo Recordings. From there you just right click and copy and past in your external hard drive location which mine is Local Disk (F:) and you have your copy there permanently until you manual delete or reformat the hard drive. It plays via Windows Media Player in the same format that you recorded it in so the show I recorded was in 1080i so it plays in 1080i via your computer and my monitor is setup up for DVI. The quality looks really good!

Mr. Who?