Automatic Chapters In Dvd

tim_fenton

Question

I have Elgato EyeTV with Terratec digital TV tuner which is really great and records video beautifully on iMac G5. It is also well integrated with Toast so I can burn a DVD from the recording directly without any time-consuming format conversions.

So far so good, but I would really like to add chapters to make navigation of long recordings easier than when it is in one great big block.

Does Toast have an option to add chapters automatically say every 5 minutes?

7 answers to this question

Hi

I've discovered there is a workaround for this. Simply use the EyeTV edit functionality and insert edit points where you want the chapters to be, as though you were going to edit out a portion. Don't move either handle (otherwise you would be editing stuff out). Do this wherever you want a chapter point to appear then close the EyeTV file. When you burn to toast (or export out) the file retains these markers and Toast automatically puts in the chapter points.

The benefit to this is that you can put in the chapter points at scene changes rather than randomly.

Regards

Tim

For reference, here is the full article from Elgato.

http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/multifaq/more/375

[EyeTV 2] Exports to Toast don’t have DVD chapter markers.

EyeTV has supported DVD creation since Toast 6 Titanium was released.

In Toast 6, EyeTV exports using “MPEG Program Stream” or “for Toast” would be accepted by Toast. A DVD created by those program streams would have chapter marks every 5 minutes. Those marks were not customizable.

Toast 7 now also accepts MPEG Transport Streams from EyeTV - that’s EyeTV’s native file format. You can press the “Toast” button at the top of the EyeTV 2 Programs window, or you can drag items from EyeTV 2 to Toast 7, and the video will be ready immediately for authoring.

We added the ability to fully customize DVD chapter markers, using EyeTV 2 and Toast 7. Follow these steps:

1) Open up a recording in EyeTV for playback.

2) Open up the Editor for that recording (perhaps by pressing the grey button at the top right corner of the window)

3) Place markers wherever you want the chapter marks to be on your DVD. You don’t have to open the markers, just place them.

4) Close the video window

5) Send the video to Toast 7, by using the Toast button, or by drag and drop.

6) Make a DVD

The DVD will have chapter markers wherever a marker pair (closed marker*) was in the original recording’s edit window.

If you send the video to Toast 7, when there are no markers in the recording, then there will be no chapter markers on the DVD.

So, if you want chapter markers on a Toast 7 DVD:

1) Place markers using EyeTV’s editor, and then send to Toast as a MPEG Transport Stream (press the Toast button, or drag and drop). You will get custom markers.

2) Send the video to Toast 7 using “for Toast” or “MPEG Program Stream”, and you will get markers every 5 minutes.

A future version of Toast and or EyeTV might have additional options in this area.

(* For the sake of this entry, a marker pair, or closed marker, is what you get when you press the Add Markers button in the EyeTV editor, that has a triangle split into two parts. You don’t have to spread apart that marker and highlight things in yellow for it to register. If you did spread it apart, then the highlighted section would not be exported. So, just press the Add Markers button at each point where you want the next chapter point to be.)

For reference, here is the full article from Elgato.

http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/multifaq/more/375

Hey there everyone. I have become very frustrated about this issue. Whenever I burn an MPEG Toast 7 doesn't automatically add chapters. I only get the one long video but when I use DV format it actually lets me choose how long I want each chapter under the video option but under MPEG not only do I get to choose but I don't even get the markers. Do I need to change a setting?

I don't have EyeTV, but whenever Toast has made a DVD for me from existing MPEG files it always has adds chapter markers every 5 minutes unless there already are chapter markers present in the file which Toast then respects.

Hi

I've discovered there is a workaround for this. Simply use the EyeTV edit functionality and insert edit points where you want the chapters to be, as though you were going to edit out a portion. Don't move either handle (otherwise you would be editing stuff out). Do this wherever you want a chapter point to appear then close the EyeTV file. When you burn to toast (or export out) the file retains these markers and Toast automatically puts in the chapter points.

The benefit to this is that you can put in the chapter points at scene changes rather than randomly.

Regards

Tim

Great info! Thanks for sharing this tip, Tim.

Hi

... Do this wherever you want a chapter point to appear then close the EyeTV file. When you burn to toast (or export out) the file retains these markers and Toast automatically puts in the chapter points........

I can get this to work using "Burn to Toast" from the menu. However, I can't get to work when I export a file. I use the "Toast" export file format, but the chapters only come out at 5 minute intervals.

What are the correct settings should I use whiie exporting?

Thanks,

Garry

Archived