No Sound On Dvd

Lisa323

I sure hope someone can help me. I read an earlier post about pitches in the sound and they discussed drivers and a lot of technical things. I printed out the info to try and follow, but I thought I would ask before I made any changes on my computer. I followed the instructions on installation. When it told me to plug in the driver I did and the driver installed correctly. The Roxio driver looks as if it is installed correctly when I go to the Device and Printers on my computer. I used an S cable and plugged it into a Sony Handycam and used the "Transfer multiple video clips to one DVD and create a menu". It worked, but I never saw the step called "Start a new project". It finished and I played it on a Blueray player. There was no sound at all. You can certainly hear sound during the transfer, but the audio bars only showed about an 1/8 green and the audio bar was turned up as high as it would go (all the way to the right by the +) Can someone give me some idea of what is going on? Thanks so much!

S- cabling does not carry audio only the video. You will need audio cables (red and white) to carry the audio signal.

Most of us recommend to first capture to your hard drive instead of burning directly to a DVD. That way you can check the captured video before burning and save a few coaster.

Also the capture device appears under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in the Device Manager.

Thanks for the prompt replies. Unfortunately, we used only tapes in the Sony camera so I still need to transfer. I missed the step where I should have connected the red and white cable to the usb connector - duh! If you save to your hard drive does it eat up a lot of memory and space? Do you delete once you burn to the DVD?

Of course the captured video will take up some space on your hard drive. How much it requires depends on the time length of the video. How many tapes are your trying to capture? How long in time are they? How much free space on your hard drive? Do you have an external drive where you could archive the captured video/

If you expect to never need to use the captured video again,(ie you will make the perfect DVD on your first go) then you could delete the captured video. I never delete any captured video but have it archived on DVDs and external drives.

Why is it so difficult to give us the model number?

Sony sells/sold 3 main types of digital camcorder.

1) Analog tape: You would use this with the USB device like you are trying to do.

2) Digital memory - You would copy the files to your computer as above.

3) Digital tape I think that this is what you have. To "capture" from this kind of camcorder you would use the AV output of the camcorder directly to a Firewire connection on your computer. If you use the USB device, you will copy the video but not get the audio. You MAY be able to find a firewire card for your computer. A firewire to USB converter will NOT work .

Do you have a Firewire port on your computer ? They are not very common with newer computers.

There is not much else that you can do. Note that I had to actually buy a computer with a Firewire port to capture my digital tapes. Now I have a new camcorder !

Hey all, a couple of things: it's a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-TRV340 NTSC Digital 8. I never used any cards with it; only the 8mm tapes used in my old camera. I think the video and sound will work now since I had not used the red and white cables. I've now hooked everything up to an old VCR with the correct cables, but when I go in to try and change the destination drive which is listed as D to my hard C drive the software doesn't allow it. I'm using the Easy VHS to DVD3. How can I change the destination drive?

Thanks for all your help!

Hey all, a couple of things: it's a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-TRV340 NTSC Digital 8. I never used any cards with it; only the 8mm tapes used in my old camera. I think the video and sound will work now since I had not used the red and white cables. I've now hooked everything up to an old VCR with the correct cables, but when I go in to try and change the destination drive which is listed as D to my hard C drive the software doesn't allow it. I'm using the Easy VHS to DVD3. How can I change the destination drive?

Thanks for all your help!

Too bad you did not tell us right away you had a digital camcorder. For those type of camcorders you should be using a Firewire connection or .Link as Sony calls it. Your Sony manual tells you how to hook up the camcorder to your PC. VHS2DVD probably works but does not give good results.

Archived