• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
CSI

Help With Blu Ray Burn

Question

Hi folks, I have a question if you can help. I want to burn a Blu-ray disc and it's currently rendering from Adobe Premiere CC on maximum settings for the best quality. The overall file size will be nearly 100GB. My question is can I burn a 100 GB file onto a Blu-ray disc that is only 25GB in size? I assume that the Blu-ray burning software I will use (Toast 12) will be able to compress footage but I don't know if 100GB is too big for it to handle?

I have burned files of this size before using Adobe Encore CS5 onto standard 4.7gb discs (so a 100GB file has been compressed by Encore to fit onto a 4.7GB disc very easily even though it took ages) so I assume the same principles apply and will work on Blu Ray? If not, what are the correct but still best quality settings to render from Adobe Premiere for purposes of having a blu ray disc? I don't have subscription to adobe encore now, hence me needing Toast...

Thanks in advance

Conor

7 answers to this question

Toast will encode the video to meet the Blu-ray specs and fit on the disc. It will take a long time. I strongly suggest choosing Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the Burn button. Also, select the Toast application in the Finder and choose Get Info... Make sure the box next to Prevent App Sleep is checked.

You can choose a Toast preset or set your own average and maximum bit rates and the audio bit rate. Your video probably isn't so long in playing time that it will be difficult to fit to the 25 GB disc. There are 50 GB discs however if this is very long.

Hi Guru

Many thanks for your advice, I have just downloaded Toast and clicked 'save as disc image' rather than the 'burn' button (even though I don't know why) and it is currently encoding. I am unsure if this means it is merely preparing the file to be burned, so it's being compressed, or it means it will be burned to disc straight away? I also find it annoying that having just purchased the Toast 12 package, it wouldn't let me burn blu ray as I had to buy an extra plug in. This is unfair as I was lead to believe that the blu ray function was part of my purchase. Anyway I can take this matter up with Roxio.

Also I looked in finder to 'check' the prevent app sleep button but couldn't find it. In Finder I have a blue folder entitled 'Toast' so I open it. In side there are 3 sub folders. I tried to 'get info' on all of them and all I got was a long narrow window which has the expected - with 'general info, file size, dates creates/last opened' and which users can access it etc. No prevent sleep app you mention. Please advise.

Many thanks again

Conor

When the disc image is done you can burn it to disc by choosing the image file setting in the Toast Copy window. Among the reasons to first create a disc image is that Toast may not wake up a optical drive that goes to sleep while waiting for the encoding to finish.

I don't know why the prevent app nap wasn't in the Get Info window. Maybe you are using an older version of OSX.

The Blu-Ray plugin is included with Toast Pro, but is purchased separately with the regular version. The plugin isn't needed to create Blu-Ray format videos burned to standard DVD discs, but is needed for burning to Blu-Ray discs

Hi tsantee , I am new in burning blu ray. I am following your advice, thanks lot for the info, I've been breaking my head.

My video is originally an .mov of 24.86 GB . When I drag it into toast it goes down to 2.5GB, even though I set the quality to Best. Then Customize-Encoding: reencoding Never.

Any idea on why is this happening?

Thanks so much,

astroboy

Toast 11 w/plug in

Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Hi tsantee , I am new in burning blu ray. I am following your advice, thanks lot for the info, I've been breaking my head.

My video is originally an .mov of 24.86 GB . When I drag it into toast it goes down to 2.5GB, even though I set the quality to Best. Then Customize-Encoding: reencoding Never.

Any idea on why is this happening?

Thanks so much,

astroboy

Toast 11 w/plug in

Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Seems rather extreme. How long (in time) is your video? When you drag the original into the Toast window how does Toast describe the video in the small text below the title area? Have you checked to see if the entire video shows up in what Toast created? Lastly, did you choose High-Definition DVD or Blu-Ray video as format?

The video is 14:46. Toast describes the video as Apple ProRes 4444, 2048x1152, 23.98 fps. Blue Ray video format.

Thanks a lot.

The video is 14:46. Toast describes the video as Apple ProRes 4444, 2048x1152, 23.98 fps. Blue Ray video format.

Thanks a lot.

Toast has problems with Apple ProRes. That also is an odd resolution. Usually it is x1080 or x720. Toast isn't good with converting non-standard resolutions.

I think you'll need to use something other than Toast to convert the video to a different format and a standard size. Maybe QuickTime Player can take care of that for you. Toast always re-encodes video when making a Blu-ray format video unless the source is a standards-compliant MPEG 2 video.

A 15-minute Blu-ray format video is about the size you got when Toast did the encoding. If it looks okay to you then you don't need to bother with anything else.