• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
peperry

1603 Error And Rolls Back Installing Directx

Question

For Brendon

I have the same problem Dejay58.. I reinstalled directx 9c from microsoft website, turned off virus protection, copied install cd to hard drive and still have the directx roll back and failed installation Attached is the zip file from the last failed installation. See what is happening please.LogFile 15-03-09 22-15.zip

6 answers to this question

Paul,

I don't think you have the same problem as Dejay58, so your post has been moved to its own topic.

I see you're trying to install version 14 under XP Pro SP3, but you're getting a Microsoft Installer 1603 error when the installer tries to install DirectX_Feb10. After you get that error the Roxio installer rolls everything back.

This isn't my area of expertise, but I found this KnowledgeBase page on the Microsoft site which deals with their 1603 Installer error. They say you need to give full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account on your computer, and provide a step-by-step instruction on how to do that. I hope their KnowledgeBase article will help clear your DirectX_Feb10 problem.

Regards,

Brendon

Well, I got the KB on 1603 installer errors, but I was running into a bunch of problems with that routine (mainly locked out files I was trying to take ownership). Since this computer in question is my "play" computer and does not have valuable information to keep, I did a clean install of the OS, got it all updated and then put the Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning software back to work. Everything is great now. The OS on this old machine has been in place for 8 years or so, so it was time to freshen it up a bit. It's a Dell Dimension 8300 running XP. It's hardware checked out good, but it did need an OS renewing. Thanks for offering your advice.

Edited by peperry

Thank you for your feedback, PEPerry. It's always handy for us to know how you resolved the problem.

Brendon