• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Paul Thiessen

audio out of sync, halting after DVD burn from .wmv

Question

Hi! I've been creating DVDs out of some .wmv movies, and am having trouble with the audio. My basic setup is one .wmv file (~1.5 hrs) per DVD, cut up into scenes 5 min long (using the "edit scenes" function in mydvd). The validation and burn seems to work okay.

However, when I play back the DVD (on my PC or regular home player), the audio is noticably out of sync with the video, by +/- a second or so. And at several points, there seems to be some sort of error that causes the playback to fuzz out or stop completely - sort of like what happens when a DVD has a scratch on it. But it's consistent, multiple DVDs burned from the same project all have problems in the same places.

The original files are okay AFAICT. The audio is ok, and it doesn't have these weird breakups. I've tried two separate .wmv files with two separate mydvd projects, and I get the same general behaviour in both.

Any ideas where I should start looking for the problem?

2 answers to this question

Hi! I've been creating DVDs out of some .wmv movies, and am having trouble with the audio. My basic setup is one .wmv file (~1.5 hrs) per DVD, cut up into scenes 5 min long (using the "edit scenes" function in mydvd). The validation and burn seems to work okay.

However, when I play back the DVD (on my PC or regular home player), the audio is noticably out of sync with the video, by +/- a second or so. And at several points, there seems to be some sort of error that causes the playback to fuzz out or stop completely - sort of like what happens when a DVD has a scratch on it. But it's consistent, multiple DVDs burned from the same project all have problems in the same places.

The original files are okay AFAICT. The audio is ok, and it doesn't have these weird breakups. I've tried two separate .wmv files with two separate mydvd projects, and I get the same general behaviour in both.

Any ideas where I should start looking for the problem?

There are somethings that you can do to trouble shoot the problem. Try them depending on what you think will give you most bang for the time.

1) Add the video to VideoWave and output it to a mpg2 for DVD file (film reel icon). If the file is OK, the file will encode. If there is a problem, it will stop when it encounters the problem. If it stops, look at that time and see if you can see anything wrong. If it encodes to mpg2, use the program on your computer to preview it. If it is in sync, go to the next step. If it out of sync at this point make sure that your computer is clean and that you have everything shut down when you are encoding including you internet connection, your anti-virus and your anti-malware programs (after you run them). Defrag your hard drive and make sure that there is plenty of space. Try again. If all else fails break that video into sections and encode each section and then add them together in VideoWave. Start with 30 minute sections so you only have three.

2) If it encodes properly and is in sync, add that file to MYDVD and then burn an image file (iso) uncheck the other options. When the encoding finishes, close MyDVD.

3) Open DVD Copier and navigate to the iso file, preview it to see if it is in SYNC. If it is,

4) Copy the file to the DVD blank. See if it plays properly. If not, the problem is your burner or DVD blanks.

Thanks! That's a good plan. Ok, when I convert the .wmv to "mpeg-2 for dvd regular quality" it succeeds, but the audio is still out of sync in the resulting .mpg. I've since tried a few other apps to play back the original .wmv, and in several of them the audio is kinda flaky, some of them are even further off than the DVDs I end up with using MyDVD, so I'm now thinking it's an issue with the original file. It was a captured web broadcast, kinda low quality anyway. I think I'll just chalk it up to bad .wmv and leave it at that. I can still watch these things, I'm not a Hollywood quality studio. :)