wakefipc

Google Drive Stripping Data

Question

I only briefly scoured the posts here, so I apologize if this topic has been mentioned before.

Our department records, edits, and archives all concerts on campus. We decided to use Toast to export CD image files for each album, and back them up on Google Drive (education gives us unlimited space). However, once we download that file it can no longer be opened by toast - "is an unsupported file type". We're able to mount the image, but it gives us a single track with all the data rather than the multiple tracks associated with the CD. Upgrading to Toast 12 didn't solve the problem, so we did some more research.

It seems that when Google Drive uploads the SD2F files it strips away the data for track names, sample rate, bit depth, and length. Toast opens the file expecting to see this data, and promptly sh**s itself when it's missing.

Has anyone had this problem? We've tested it with multiple files with the same outcome.

I'd be happy to supply more information if needed.

5 answers to this question

I'm not a Mac (or Toast) person, but my recollection is that there is sometimes "other" information stored not as part of the main file in the Mac OS. Windows also has "attributes" sometimes associated with files that can't be copied to FAT file systems. So, not sure if this will work or not, but try copying one of your working SD2F files to a thumb drive and see if there are any complaints about missing attributes. In either case, then go to a PC system and rename that SD2F file on the thumb drive.

Now go back to your Mac and copy the renamed file onto the Mac and try to open it and see if you get the same problem. (Renaming on a PC should disassociate any attributes that may have been along for the ride.)

Let us know if you see the same problem.

• Like 1

Didn't even see this until this morning. Followed your instructions and found that the re-named file from the PC has the same issue that we ran into with the google download.

Any idea if it's possible to recover this data? Or is it gone for good?

So then, I'd be 99% sure that the information you're looking for is in some attributes file on your Mac. There's a Wikipedia Article about extended attributes, but not having a Mac, I have no good way to figure out how you might access or save those attributes separately.

As for the files you put onto Google, if you actually deleted the files from the original system (rather than just copying the file up to Google drives) then I would think the attributes would be gone for good. If you still have a copy on the original Mac, there may be a way to copy those attributes somehow, but you'll need a Mac guru to help you there.

Ah, too bad. We deleted our local copies of the files. For the future we've found that zipping the files prevents the loss of data upon upload.

Thanks for the advice!