• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Empty

don44

Question

using roxio 12: create ISO image with 'Create DVDs'. then burn DVD with 'Burn Disk Image'. while burning Roxio does check to make sure dvd is properly burned. all goes without incident. DVD is ejected as complete. When you look at the DVD is shows that it is in fact burned. BUT dvd has nothing on it. it will not play and when you put it back into the same computer and have Roxio look at the disk, Roxio says there is nothing on the disk.

I have moved the ISO to another computer which also has Roxio 12 and i have the same problem.

i suspect the ISO is bad, but Roxio does not see it as bad

18 answers to this question

interesting, memorex used to be a decent product. the link is very helpful.

now for the update - went through all my iso files - using 'load disk image' - all loaded except the one i was having problems with. so i went back to the source data (from the camera) and had roxio make another iso file. checked it with 'load disk image' and it loaded. then made dvd (using memorex dvd) and produced a playable dvd.

all i can figure is that something happend while making the original iso file. here is my process now; make the iso file, check it with 'load disk image' if it passes burn dvd, play dvd in separate device. i will also purchase better blank dvds.

again thanks for the advice and help

If the church services are important -- I think most of us use JVC Taiyo Yuden. I've never has a failure (with over 200 or so discs). You can now get them from Amazon. Be careful because there are a lot of different surfaces from thosee that can be written on with a DVD marker to those that can be used to imprint an image from an inkjet printer (Water White are great).

Just as an aside, never put a glue on label on a DVD! The glue can attack the surface ruining it or it can come off while being played so it wrecks the DVD player.

interesting, memorex used to be a decent product. the link is very helpful.

Actually, as far as optical media, it's been a long time since Memorex was considered decent product. And I'm going back to when a single, 2X speed CD-R disc cost $10 each. Not long after that, they were relegated to the bottom of the reliability bin.

How would it know that???

Why don't you go to the Main Interface - Tools - Load Disc Image and load that ISO in a virtual drive and look at from there?

post-39730-0-97226000-1426778753_thumb.jpg

Then you will have a better idea if it is intact AND you can burn it there either to disc or as a new image ;)

using roxio 12: create ISO image with 'Create DVDs'. then burn DVD with 'Burn Disk Image'. while burning Roxio does check to make sure dvd is properly burned. all goes without incident. DVD is ejected as complete. When you look at the DVD is shows that it is in fact burned. BUT dvd has nothing on it. it will not play and when you put it back into the same computer and have Roxio look at the disk, Roxio says there is nothing on the disk.

I have moved the ISO to another computer which also has Roxio 12 and i have the same problem.

Another option is to download the free VLC player which is able to play the iso file.

Jim,

did as you suggested (load disk image). did both load the specific file and had roxio do a search for th suspected file. when i did search it did not find the file. when i selected the suspected file, roxio chimed and did not load the file. so the file is bad.

my question now is: if roxio made the iso file with no indicated problem, how do i know if the iso file roxio is making is in fact of good iso file? would you suggest doing the 'load disk image' after each iso is completed?

Jim,

did as you suggested (load disk image). did both load the specific file and had roxio do a search for th suspected file. when i did search it did not find the file. when i selected the suspected file, roxio chimed and did not load the file. so the file is bad.

my question now is: if roxio made the iso file with no indicated problem, how do i know if the iso file roxio is making is in fact of good iso file? would you suggest doing the 'load disk image' after each iso is completed?

I have no idea what you did when you said "had roxio do a search for the suspected file". What did you exactly search for and where?

Did you try to play the iso file with VLC? If VLC plays the iso file then the file is good.

wow! once again, did as you suggested: opened roxio, selected tools, selected 'load disk image'

when you select this, you get a window called 'roxio disc image loader' under 'disk image list' is an 'add' button and a 'search' button. now when you select search, roxio does not ask for a file but looks for all iso files. however, when you select the add button you can then manually search for the file you want.

in the first case, Roxio did not find my file, which tells me Roxio did not see it as an openable iso file

when i added it, roxio would not open the file. which again tells me roxio does not see it as on openable iso file

i am assuming here that Roxio did not see it as an openable ISO file

ii do not have vlc, but what if vlc does not play the file? then we have two separate programs that say it is a bad file. if vlc does open the file, then roxio still will not make a usable dvd. i am still back to my question: how do i know if roxio is making a usable iso file?

I have no idea what you did when you said "had roxio do a search for the suspected file". What did you exactly search for and where?

Did you try to play the iso file with VLC? If VLC plays the iso file then the file is good.

You're assuming that the .ISO file is a "playable" file. Nevermind... he said it was an image of a DVD. An ISO of Linux wouldn't open with VLC, I suspect.

wow! once again, did as you suggested: opened roxio, selected tools, selected 'load disk image'

when you select this, you get a window called 'roxio disc image loader' under 'disk image list' is an 'add' button and a 'search' button. now when you select search, roxio does not ask for a file but looks for all iso files. however, when you select the add button you can then manually search for the file you want.

in the first case, Roxio did not find my file, which tells me Roxio did not see it as an openable iso file

when i added it, roxio would not open the file. which again tells me roxio does not see it as on openable iso file

i am assuming here that Roxio did not see it as an openable ISO file

ii do not have vlc, but what if vlc does not play the file? then we have two separate programs that say it is a bad file. if vlc does open the file, then roxio still will not make a usable dvd. i am still back to my question: how do i know if roxio is making a usable iso file?

1) did Roxio create an emulated Drive?

2) create a an iso file from a small project (only a 1 minute or so)

3) load that iso file unto the emulated drive

Does that work?

think i need to provide more info: here is what i do: i take videos of our church services and then 'process' the videos from the sd card using roxio. roxio makes a video iso file then i burn the iso to dvd. everytime i do this the process appears to go successfully. but every so often the dvds that are made do not produce a playable dvd. i only find this out after the dvd is completed and it is put in a player. i am trying to figure out why some work and others do not. with your help i have discovered that the iso file is bad i.e. it will not open in roxio 'load disk image'

sorry but i am not familiar with a Roxio emulated drive - do know that when i used 'load disk image' in Roxio some of my Roxio created iso files played/open/loaded, but the iso file used to make the 'empty dvd' would not play/open/load

sorry but i am not familiar with a Roxio emulated drive - do know that when i used 'load disk image' in Roxio some of my Roxio created iso files played/open/loaded, but the iso file used to make the 'empty dvd' would not play/open/load

Loading the ISO image as Jim showed you in Post #2 is using an emulated drive. So you've successfully done that.

At this point, I don't think any of us have enough information to know why some of your DVDs don't work.

But you can verify your .ISO files first by opening them in an emulated drive, as you've done, and also by opening them with the free VLC player available here: www.videolan.org/ I would recommend installing the VLC player. At least if you know the .ISO opens/plays okay, then you're starting with a good file. If you subsequently find out that the DVD doesn't play, then you can assume a problem with the disc or the drive... something failed during the burn process. Or maybe you'll find you get a bad image file on occasion, but you'll be able to narrow it down to which part of the disc creation is failing, and go from there.

Hope that helps.

Good thoughts - am using memorex, and since dvd failed on two separate computers using same iso file, I can rule out hardware and dvds as problems. Something must happen making iso. I like idea of testing iso before burning dvd. Appreciate all the help

Good thoughts - am using memorex, and since dvd failed on two separate computers using same iso file, I can rule out hardware and dvds as problems. Something must happen making iso. I like idea of testing iso before burning dvd. Appreciate all the help

FYI

http://www.digitalfa...s/dvd-media.htm

Archived