The Update ..... Is It Needed?

musscat

Question

I have been using the CDRom version of EMC 7 with my Toshiba laptop for about a year and a half. I have successfully made DVDs, Audio CDs, and archive/backup CDs and DVDs largely with a lot of help I gleened from just reading many helpful users of this forum. Errrrrrrrrrrrrr, the old forum? For instance, my system won't record a DVD directly from DVD Builder, but that image file thing works great.

BTW, is the old forum available for searching anywhere?

Anyway, I decided I finally need to do all my Windows XP updates, forty-some of them, including Serv Pac 2. And, I figured I needed to do the EMC 7 update first somehow thinking it was needed for Serv Pac 2. Big mistake. After doing the update, all sorts of strange things began to happen. There was some kind of a memory error the first time running Disk Copier, but it was only once and the application seemed to run okay. Worse, though, VideoWave would start but immediately shut down about two out of three times. It just wouldn't stick. And while trying to edit video in VideoWave, the audio played with annoying dropouts and seemed slightly out of synch. If there were other problems, I didn't mess around to find out about them. I uninstalled EMC 7 and then reinstalled the original CDRom version. Everything seems fine again.

Now, several possibilities occur to me:

1) I was unlucky. There was just something that got corrupted during the update. It might work fine the next time.

2) It is unnecessary. Has anyone done Serv Pac 2 and had EMC 7 work okay afterward?

3) Something else. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

4 answers to this question

I have been using the CDRom version of EMC 7 with my Toshiba laptop for about a year and a half. I have successfully made DVDs, Audio CDs, and archive/backup CDs and DVDs largely with a lot of help I gleened from just reading many helpful users of this forum. Errrrrrrrrrrrrr, the old forum? For instance, my system won't record a DVD directly from DVD Builder, but that image file thing works great.

BTW, is the old forum available for searching anywhere?

Anyway, I decided I finally need to do all my Windows XP updates, forty-some of them, including Serv Pac 2. And, I figured I needed to do the EMC 7 update first somehow thinking it was needed for Serv Pac 2. Big mistake. After doing the update, all sorts of strange things began to happen. There was some kind of a memory error the first time running Disk Copier, but it was only once and the application seemed to run okay. Worse, though, VideoWave would start but immediately shut down about two out of three times. It just wouldn't stick. And while trying to edit video in VideoWave, the audio played with annoying dropouts and seemed slightly out of synch. If there were other problems, I didn't mess around to find out about them. I uninstalled EMC 7 and then reinstalled the original CDRom version. Everything seems fine again.

Now, several possibilities occur to me:

1) I was unlucky. There was just something that got corrupted during the update. It might work fine the next time.

2) It is unnecessary. Has anyone done Serv Pac 2 and had EMC 7 work okay afterward?

3) Something else. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

The old forum is gone!

Much varied results with SP2… I had problems with my Firewire and finally un-installed SP2. Like yours, this was an update adding SP2 to an existing system.

New HD, installed XP then SP2 then software. All works great, including Firewire.

The easiest way in your case without running in circles, is to uninstall V7/reboot/install. Reboot and install updates to V7.

james_hardin -

Thank you for the reply. Just to be clear, the problems cropped up after doing the EMC7 update and before doing all the XP 'critical updates' including SP2. It seems like good advice, though. Uninstall EMC7, then do the XP updates, then re-install EMC7. I don't know about that EMC7 update though. Unless there is some clear impairment in functionality compared to where I am now, that's where the problems started. I'll see where I am before getting into that again.

Thanks again.

That sounds like a good plan – install v7 and see what happens before updating it.

james_hardin -

Thank you for the reply. Just to be clear, the problems cropped up after doing the EMC7 update and before doing all the XP 'critical updates' including SP2. It seems like good advice, though. Uninstall EMC7, then do the XP updates, then re-install EMC7. I don't know about that EMC7 update though. Unless there is some clear impairment in functionality compared to where I am now, that's where the problems started. I'll see where I am before getting into that again.

Thanks again.

That sounds like a good plan – install v7 and see what happens before updating it.

In my case I was NOT running SP2 and used the CDrom program disk to load my EMC7 (prior to doing the update). All went crazy, so I unloaded the EM7 (un-updated version) then did the SP2 download and then after that I loaded back my EMC 7 program and did the update for it and everything went well and it has been working every since.

Now on this new forum, I just can't get back all my old original personal permissions back :) . Other than that I at least am able to log on and view the messages on the board.

Frank...(Redwagon)

Archived