• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Blu Ray Discs - Taking Many Many Hours

H. Mark Weidman

Question

I just installed a new OtherWorldComputing Pioneer BluRay burner in my Apple Mac Pro, running OSX v10.9.5. This drive is replacing an LG BluRay burner I purchased just over a year ago from OWC that went bad (I think). The install was simple and the drive shows up in my System Report and also in the new Roxio Toast Titanium12 which came bundled with the drive. But, it is taking many many hours (sometimes over 20 hours!) to burn one BD-R disk with about 24GB of data (Verbatim BD-R, 25GB, 6X Speed). The original data is one Folder of Photoshop TIFF image files, which reside on an external hard disc in an enclosure, connected via a SATA cable to the Mac Pro. OWC tech support suggested I set the drive speed to 6X (in Toast), rather than to “Best”. That seemed to help a little bit but it still took three (3) hours to burn one disk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mark Weidman

3 answers to this question

Thanks for this information, though it certainly was not exactly what I wanted to learn! Though I have been a licensed user of Toast for years I don't have a license key for v10. I sent an email to Roxio, asking for a license key for v10, so hope they will respond. If anyone has any suggestions on how or where to obtain a valid license key for v10, please let me know. Thanks again for the posts.

Have you installed the Toast 12.1 update. It may be a little faster.

Roxio rewrote Toast a couple years ago and released it as version 11.1. Sadly, the disc burn speed slowed to a crawl. Their updates since then have improved the speed somewhat but not anywhere as fast as the versions prior to 11.1. I keep earlier versions of Toast along with the current version in my Applications folder. When I need fast disc burning I can Save as Disc Image with the new version and then use an earlier version to burn the resulting .toast file to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Because you are burning data you might try using the built in Finder disc burning instead of Toast. I haven't tried burning to Blu-ray media using the Finder but it may work fine.

Setting the burn speed instead of Best was a good strategy, but the improvement you got was probably the best you'll get with Toast 12.

Have you installed the Toast 12.1 update. It may be a little faster.

Roxio rewrote Toast a couple years ago and released it as version 11.1. Sadly, the disc burn speed slowed to a crawl. Their updates since then have improved the speed somewhat but not anywhere as fast as the versions prior to 11.1. I keep earlier versions of Toast along with the current version in my Applications folder. When I need fast disc burning I can Save as Disc Image with the new version and then use an earlier version to burn the resulting .toast file to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Because you are burning data you might try using the built in Finder disc burning instead of Toast. I haven't tried burning to Blu-ray media using the Finder but it may work fine.

Setting the burn speed instead of Best was a good strategy, but the improvement you got was probably the best you'll get with Toast 12.

Lucky you for keep earlier versions of Toast :D

I hope Corel/Roxio update Toast 12, in order to fix all the bugs that the current version has...

Jedikeeper

Archived