fingers

Why Doesn't Sound Editor Open .wav Files?

Question

Doesn't Roxio Sound Editor open .wav files? Whenever try to open a wav file it gives me an error message

The file (name of. wav file) doe not exist o is not a supported audio file.

The wav files I am trying to open in Sound Editor play just fine in all players.

5 answers to this question

What are the specifications (details) of the .WAV files? Sample rate, sample size, and number of channels?

(In Windows Explorer, right-click on the file, select "Properties" and then click on the "Details" tab, for Windows 7.)

right clicking on the files and selecting Properties \ Details only shows the following:

2116 kbps

Wave Sound

28.2 MB

Okay... my apologies, I thought it spelled out the details of the file a bit better. Anyway, your 2116kbps translates to 44,100 samples per second at 24 bits. Roxio's sound editor doesn't handle over 16 bit samples. You'll have to use a different editor. Goldwave is a good one, and has a generous unregistered (free) trial policy.

What are you trying to do with these audio files? And where did you get them?

I created the wav files within Cubase. They are the mixdown of our band's performance. I guess I could always do what I need to do with them in Cubase however, I am really new to Cubase and find moving around within cumbersome. I am however familiar with Roxio. All I want to do is truncate them and ad a Fade in and Fade out.

Well, you'll either have to convert them to 16-bit samples in Cubase first, or do that work in Cubase or another editor. Roxio's Sound Editor won't open the files as they are, as you've noticed.

If you're going to be putting those files on and audio CD, then you might as well cut them down to 16-bit samples anyway since that's the CD Audio format.