Sign in to follow this  
fhoss

Playback problems

Question

I just finished a 55 minute DVD [using photos, video and music] which turned out great [thanks in no small measure to things i have learned from reading these forums]. While i have purchased EMC9 i have not yet loaded it as i am in process of upgrading my computer. The project was created with EMC7.5. I have two DVD burners [a) NEC + RW ND-1100A USB and :) Sony DVD RW DW-Q120A. I burned the project on each burner both in -R [using the Sony] and also in +R [using the NEC].

Both DVD's started well on my DVD player [hooked up in my surround sound sytem} but developed problems later in the playback - freezing, skipping etc. This DVD player plays Netflix DVD's regularly with no problems. I then played both DVD's on TV's with built in DVD players [one a small desk top TV - quite old - and both DVD's played fine to the end.

Do I have a DVD player, DVD burner or some other problem?

I apologize if I have started this in the wrong forum.

10 answers to this question

I just finished a 55 minute DVD [using photos, video and music] which turned out great [thanks in no small measure to things i have learned from reading these forums]. While i have purchased EMC9 i have not yet loaded it as i am in process of upgrading my computer. The project was created with EMC7.5. I have two DVD burners [a) NEC + RW ND-1100A USB and :) Sony DVD RW DW-Q120A. I burned the project on each burner both in -R [using the Sony] and also in +R [using the NEC].

Both DVD's started well on my DVD player [hooked up in my surround sound sytem} but developed problems later in the playback - freezing, skipping etc. This DVD player plays Netflix DVD's regularly with no problems. I then played both DVD's on TV's with built in DVD players [one a small desk top TV - quite old - and both DVD's played fine to the end.

Do I have a DVD player, DVD burner or some other problem?

I apologize if I have started this in the wrong forum.

Some players just don't seem to like home made dvd's but I've found switching to a different brand sometimes helps. Rw's give me the most trouble but Imation, Sony and Verbatim work very well for me in my players. Some say +R play better in players but I've not been able to tell the difference. I usually burn to an ISO then to disc which seems to work well for me.

Some players just don't seem to like home made dvd's but I've found switching to a different brand sometimes helps. Rw's give me the most trouble but Imation, Sony and Verbatim work very well for me in my players. Some say +R play better in players but I've not been able to tell the difference. I usually burn to an ISO then to disc which seems to work well for me.
Also, burning at lower rates can help reduce the chance for errors during the burn. I usually only burn at 4x to 8x max.

Also, burning at lower rates can help reduce the chance for errors during the burn. I usually only burn at 4x to 8x max.

Thanks Larry and Paul for your responses. I used Philips DVD+R and Fujifilm-R. Will secure some Sony brand DVD's and try that. I will also check my rate of burn. I would probably try burning to an ISO as suggested by Paul however. unfortunately I do not know what an ISO is. Note - I am a true Rookie.

I would also like to thank Skinis for his suggestion about my "visible name". As you can see I have changed that. I hope posting this reply here will reach him.

fhoss

Thanks Larry and Paul for your responses. I used Philips DVD+R and Fujifilm-R. Will secure some Sony brand DVD's and try that. I will also check my rate of burn. I would probably try burning to an ISO as suggested by Paul however. unfortunately I do not know what an ISO is. Note - I am a true Rookie.

I would also like to thank Skinis for his suggestion about my "visible name". As you can see I have changed that. I hope posting this reply here will reach him.

fhoss

When you go to burn your production in MyDVD, check the Save to image box, and uncheck the Burn to disc, box. Once the ISO file burns, burn it to a disc using Disc Copier or Creator Classic.

post-81-1161113030.jpg

Edited by grandpabruce

When you go to burn your production in MyDVD, check the Save to image box, and uncheck the Burn to disc, box. Once the ISO file burns, burn it to a disc using Disc Copier or Creator Classic.

Thanks Bruce - I have printed your information. Still a bit unsure as to my next step. Remember, I am still in 7.5. What do I do with the iso file? Save it in MyVideos or some such place and bring it up in Disc Copier where it calls for "Disc Image"? I hope I am being clear.

fhoss

Thanks Bruce - I have printed your information. Still a bit unsure as to my next step. Remember, I am still in 7.5. What do I do with the iso file? Save it in MyVideos or some such place and bring it up in Disc Copier where it calls for "Disc Image"? I hope I am being clear.

fhoss

I believe the one that is attached here, is from 7.5.

In DVD Builder, click on the Add New Title, then browse for your production and burn to an .iso file. I always set up a folder beforehand, for where I want my files saved. You can name it anything that you want.

I keep it out of Documents and Settings, and usually create that folder in a separate partition than my OS. If that is not a possibility, make a new folder on your C: drive.

post-81-1161114849.jpg

I believe the one that is attached here, is from 7.5.

In DVD Builder, click on the Add New Title, then browse for your production and burn to an .iso file. I always set up a folder beforehand, for where I want my files saved. You can name it anything that you want.

I keep it out of Documents and Settings, and usually create that folder in a separate partition than my OS. If that is not a possibility, make a new folder on your C: drive.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this problem. Thanks to your help I was able to save the production as an ISO file and, using disc copier and burning at a slow rate the end product played fine.

fhoss

Thanks to all who have contributed to this problem. Thanks to your help I was able to save the production as an ISO file and, using disc copier and burning at a slow rate the end product played fine.

fhoss

You are welcome, and I am glad that it worked for you.

:) I am wondering if this issue was solved? I am experiencing a similar problem. The DVD burn seems to go just fine. The result is that the "better" (more expensive) DVD player will not recognize the disc. The cheapo DVD player recognizes the very same disc after a short search. Does this mean we all have to get cheapo DVD players to enjoy our creations?

How are professionally produced DVDs different? They all play with no problem....

I am using Verbatim 4.7Gb single side single layer DVD-Rs.... It does not get much more simple than that.

:) I am wondering if this issue was solved? I am experiencing a similar problem. The DVD burn seems to go just fine. The result is that the "better" (more expensive) DVD player will not recognize the disc. The cheapo DVD player recognizes the very same disc after a short search. Does this mean we all have to get cheapo DVD players to enjoy our creations?

How are professionally produced DVDs different? They all play with no problem....

I am using Verbatim 4.7Gb single side single layer DVD-Rs.... It does not get much more simple than that.

This thread has played out, if you read it all the way through…

I would try a DVD+R to see if your Player likes that type of disc better.