• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

njtyro

d2d disc full

Question

I upgraded to EMC 9 a week ago. Since then drag-to-disc has been a drag.

When I insert a CD-RW I was using with d2d from the EMC 8 package, the desktop icon appears as usual. But hovering the mouse over it calls up a message that "free space + 0 KB. The disc is full." I've been backing up Quicken data on this disc. There's actually only about 4 MB worth of files on it.

When I view disc contents, the program tells me that the file system is UDF 1.5, free space is 0 bytes, and total size is 538 MB.

If I drag new files over anyway to overwrite the old ones, the message says the disc may be write-protected.

Most recently, the Windows CD Wizard stepped in front of d2d, and appeared ready to write to the disc (which it identified as UDF). When I told it to do its thing, it insisted there was no disc in the drive.

This is driving me crazy. What gives? Is the disc toast? Is it d2d? Should I even be using d2d? If not, how do I remove it?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

6 answers to this question

D2D is a packet writer and like all packet writers, they are the least reliable form of burning ever devised!

The primary use is to transfer files from one PC to another when no other good means exists. It should not be used for any kind of backup/archive as it will someday go unreadable with no prior indications.

If you want to continue using it, look under Settings, Advanced Eject Settings and set both sides to "Leave the disc as is". Likewise when ejecting, if the option pops up, set it to "Use the disc in this computer only". That setting does not seem to stick, but Advanced Eject settings seem to take over.

Just to add to what James said, use Creator Classic for backing up your data. You can make multi-session discs by making sure that the read only box is unchecked in the advanced burn options.

Just to add to what James said, use Creator Classic for backing up your data. You can make multi-session discs by making sure that the read only box is unchecked in the advanced burn options.

Many thanks to both of you. I'll copy the files onto the desktop and start over with a fresh (or freshly erased/reformatted) disc.

It almost makes you long for the days of floppies. I'm even getting nostalgic for my old tape backup!

Many thanks to both of you. I'll copy the files onto the desktop and start over with a fresh (or freshly erased/reformatted) disc.

It almost makes you long for the days of floppies. I'm even getting nostalgic for my old tape backup!

You are welcome. You don't format any disc for use with Creator Classic. You can erase a RW disc and use it, but I wouldn't recommend an RW disc for long term storage.

It does not seem that d2d works with disks made using d2d associated with EMC 8.

I have EMC 8 on one computer (Windows XP SP2 and IE6) and disks written via drag to disk can be added to via d2d but on another computer I have EMC 9 (Windows XP2 SP2 and IE7) these same disks can not be written on.

The error message with EMC 9 says that the disk is write protected. In fact properties shows the disk is full as one would expect with a write protected disk. I can put a "clean" disk in the drive (either of 2 drives) and use drag to disk with no problem. I can write on the disk using d2d and later add to the contents of the disk again by using d2d.

I have both EMC 8 and EMC 9 installed on my hard drive of the 2nd computer. In addition I have what appears to be drag to disk software listed seperately in the list of programs displayed using "add and remove programs." This is not the case with the 1st computer with only EMC8 installed.

Any ideas?

Don Cochron

When V9 was introduced I made discs with V5, V6, V7, V8 & V9. All were interchangeable…

There are other reasons for problems usually relating to drive issues and settings.

Full Format is a key essential to compatibility and setting the program to leave the disc as is, is another.

Media speed used to be an issue, but most current drives can handle High Speed and Ultra Speed discs so that problem is disappearing.