• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

exsvcsinc

Question For The Guru's

Question

Maybe somebody can answer this for me:

I didn't have any desire to use Pan & Scan, but after reading posting about people having problems with it, I decided to try it.

Well, it worked. All three windows appeared in the pan scan editor, and it functioned properly.

Later that day I decided to check to see if there were new drivers available for my video card - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 PCIx16 256mb - and there were on NVIDIA's website. So I downloaded and installed the new drivers for my card. Matter of fact, I think they just became available earlier this week.

Anyway, after updated my drivers, the pan & scan no longer worked. I only had one screen (the first screen) available in the pan scan editor. Everything else seemed to be fine, but this problem with pan & scan made me think that there may be some other problems that could occur with the new drivers, so I reinstalled the previous drivers that I had prior to the update.

Does anybody know why this would happen? I am 100% that the drivers I installed were for my video card from the NVIDIA website, and I know I installed them correctly.

Dell Dimension 8400 3.2ghz 800fsb

2g @ 533mhz Nvidia GeForce 6800 PCIx16 256mb

Windows Media Center 2005 sp2

9 answers to this question

Maybe somebody can answer this for me:

I didn't have any desire to use Pan & Scan, but after reading posting about people having problems with it, I decided to try it.

Well, it worked. All three windows appeared in the pan scan editor, and it functioned properly.

Later that day I decided to check to see if there were new drivers available for my video card - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 PCIx16 256mb - and there were on NVIDIA's website. So I downloaded and installed the new drivers for my card. Matter of fact, I think they just became available earlier this week.

Anyway, after updated my drivers, the pan & scan no longer worked. I only had one screen (the first screen) available in the pan scan editor. Everything else seemed to be fine, but this problem with pan & scan made me think that there may be some other problems that could occur with the new drivers, so I reinstalled the previous drivers that I had prior to the update.

Does anybody know why this would happen? I am 100% that the drivers I installed were for my video card from the NVIDIA website, and I know I installed them correctly.

Dell Dimension 8400 3.2ghz 800fsb

2g @ 533mhz Nvidia GeForce 6800 PCIx16 256mb

Windows Media Center 2005 sp2

Hi

Try the driver off the Dell site i just checked and your card is listed. I'm pretty sure you need to use the driver from Dell. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi

Try the driver off the Dell site i just checked and your card is listed. I'm pretty sure you need to use the driver from Dell. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

That's actually the one I went back to. I did talk to technical support at Dell, and they did tell me that I could use the newer driver direct from nvidia, and shouldn't have any problems.

I was wondering if I had to use the drivers from del - oem - because it may have to be a driver that's compatible with the system they built - like bios, etc...

Anyway, the driver from Dell works fine, but again, reading postings from guru's, they're pretty much saying check for newer video card driver versions. It just seems, in my case anyway, that a newer driver from my video card mfg - nvidia - wasn't the best match for my dell computer, even if Dell support did tell me that it was perfectly ok to use a new driver from nvidia.

I guess you're right though, about having to go through Dell - but I guess that was my question. Why does a newer driver direct from the mfg not work as well as an older driver from nvidia>dell.

That's actually the one I went back to. I did talk to technical support at Dell, and they did tell me that I could use the newer driver direct from nvidia, and shouldn't have any problems.

I was wondering if I had to use the drivers from del - oem - because it may have to be a driver that's compatible with the system they built - like bios, etc...

Anyway, the driver from Dell works fine, but again, reading postings from guru's, they're pretty much saying check for newer video card driver versions. It just seems, in my case anyway, that a newer driver from my video card mfg - nvidia - wasn't the best match for my dell computer, even if Dell support did tell me that it was perfectly ok to use a new driver from nvidia.

I guess you're right though, about having to go through Dell - but I guess that was my question. Why does a newer driver direct from the mfg not work as well as an older driver from nvidia>dell.

Maybe there is something in Nvidia's latest driver that is causing an issue. for the one that "rolled back" to, what version number does it show as?

Maybe there is something in Nvidia's latest driver that is causing an issue. for the one that "rolled back" to, what version number does it show as?

The one it rolled back to is:

This information is from Device Mgr:

Driver Provider: Nvidia

Driver Date: 12/15/2004

Driver Version: 7.1.2.4

Digital Signer: Not digitally signed (which I was prompted 2x not to install by windows, but Dell said it was correct & ok)

This info is from Nvidia Properties:

Processor: GeForce 6800

Video Bios Version: 5.41.02.17.25

IRQ: 16

Bus: PCI Express x16

Memory: 256MB

ForceWare Version: 71.24

The driver I updated to from NVIDIA that wouldn't allow pan scan to work is:

Version: 81.98

Release Date: December 21, 2005

WHQL Certified

I use the 81.98 just fine with my Geforce6200. One other user posted that updating th AGP drivers fixed his problem. Check the DELL site for updated motherboard drivers and specifically for your PCIe.

Edited by ggrussell

I use the 81.98 just fine with my Geforce6200. One other user posted that updating th AGP drivers fixed his problem. Check the DELL site for updated motherboard drivers and specifically for your PCIe.

Would that be the Flash System Bios? (Dell Dimension System Bios?)

I don't see anything that says motherboard drivers or PCI drivers

These are my choices

Dell Crash Analysis Tool

Dell Dell Support 3.1

Dell Driver Reset Tool

Dell Support 2.1

Sonic Solutions DigitalMedia v7

Sonic Solutions DLA 5.x

Sonic Solutions Record Now 7.0 (Dual Layer)

Sonic Solutions Sonic DMX 3.0

Audio Drivers

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio

Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

Chipset

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

Communication Drivers

Conexant 56K V.9x DFVc Modem

Conexant D850 56K V.9X PCI DF Modem ULD

Intel 537E,v.9X,PCI,Modem

Diagnostic Utilities

Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics (Graphical User Interface version)

Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

Display Devices

Dell 1505FP

Dell 1704FPT

Dell 1704FPV

Dell 1905FP

Dell 2001FP

Dell 2005FPW

Dell 2405FPW

Dell E153FP

Dell E156FPb

Dell E156FPc

Dell E156FPf

Dell E173FP

Dell E176FPb

Dell E176FPc

Dell E176FPf

Dell E176FPm

Dell E193FP

Dell E196FPb

Dell E196FPf

Dell E773c

Dell E773p

Dell M783p

Dell M783s

Dell M993c

Dell M993s

Dell P1230

Dell W1700 LCD TV

Dell W2600 LCD TV

FlashBIOS Updates

Dell Dimension System BIOS

Network Drivers

Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller

Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller

Dell Dell Wireless 1450 (802.11a/b/g) USB2.0 Adapter

Printer Drivers

Dell 725 Inkjet Printer

Dell Inkjet Printer 720

Dell Laser Printer 3000cn

Dell Laser Printer 3100cn

Dell Laser Printer 5100cn

Dell Personal Laser 1100

Dell Personal Laser 1600n

Dell Personal Laser 1700/1700n

Dell Personal Laser 1710/1710n

Dell Photo All-In-One - 944

Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 922

Dell Photo All-in-One Printer 924

Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 942

Dell Photo All-in-One Printer 962

Dell Photo Printer 540

Dell Workgroup Laser Printer W5300

Removable Media Storage Devices

HLDS GCC4481-B HH 48X32 Combo

HLDS GCR-8483B HH 48X CD-Rom

HLDS GRA-4120B HH 12X DVD+RW

LiteOn 48X CD-ROM

LiteOn JLMS XJ-HD166 HH 16X DVD

M-Systems HS 128M and 64M USB Memory Key

M-Systems HS 256M USB Memory Key

M-Systems LF T5 128/256/512MB Memory Key

NEC ND-2100A HH 8X DVD+RW

NEC ND-3450A HH 16X DVD+/-RW

NEC ND-3530A HH 16X DVD+/-RW

Philips DVD8601 HH 16X DVD+RW

Philips DVD8631 HH 16X DVD+/-RW

Samsung SD-616E HH 16X DVD

Samsung SM-352F HH 48X32 Combo

SMART HS 64M/128M/256M Memory Key

SMART LF G2 128/256/512MB Memory Key

Sony CRX-216E HH 48x32 CD-RW

Sony CRX217E HH 48X CDRW - Lead free

TEAC DV-W58E HH 8X DVD+RW

TSST TS-H352C HH 16X DVDROM

TSST TS-H492B HH 48X CDRW/DVDROM

Serial ATA

Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition

System and Configuration Utilities

Dell Asset Utility

Dell Desktop System Software

Video Drivers

ATI 128MB PCI-Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) Radeon X300 SE

ATI 128MB PCI-Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) Radeon X800 SE425c/350m 8 pipes

ATI 256MB PCI-Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) Radeon X800 XT 500c/500m 16 pipes

ATI 256MB RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition

ATI TVT1 EHome Wonder

ATI TVT2-DT TV Wonder Elite

CyberLink PowerDVD 5

Emuzed TVT3 Dual TV Tuner

nVidia 256MB PCI Express x16 GeForce 6800

nVidia 256MB PCI Express x16 GeForce 6800 GTO

Try reinstalling the new driver from nvidia. I had the exact same problem, went back to the old driver and PnZ worked. I then redownloaded the newest driver 81.98 and it worked. I have a nvidia geForce FX5500

Try reinstalling the new driver from nvidia. I had the exact same problem, went back to the old driver and PnZ worked. I then redownloaded the newest driver 81.98 and it worked. I have a nvidia geForce FX5500

Hey Craig:

I did try to re-install it (81.98), but the pnZ didn't work, once again.

The first time I updated, I removed existing drivers first, then installed the 81.98.

This time I just tried to install the 81.98 without removing existing drivers, and it still didn't work.

I then removed nvidia drivers in full, and re-installed the 81.98, but still no PnZ.

I did notice that when I didn't remove the drivers, I maintained some drivers that must have been from my previous version (71.24 I think) - which differed from when I completely removed existing Nvidia drivers. The reason I note this is that upon installing the 81.98 fresh, with removing existing Nvidia, it appears as though I don't have as many drivers in my version files (about Nvidia from Nvidia control panel).

I'm pretty confident now that Dell's version of my driver has some specific drivers for my system that aren't provided when I Install directly from Nvidia.

Seems crazy, but it appears to be true. When I installed 81.98 over my 71.24 from Dell, once again, it maintained some drivers, but updated the Display Driver and the Nvcpl.dll to the 81.98, and left everything else the same.

Anyway, it seems to function the pan & zoom with the older driver, and as opposed to it not running that correctly, it seems that this may be the best driver for my system.

I really appreciate your time :)