• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Giorgio_B

Creating A High Quality Dvd

Question

Hi,

I'm new to Toast.

I'm just trying to create a dvd-video suitable for any dvd player with high quality rendition.

I realize that if I choose DVD-Video format in Toast 12 the only possible encoding is MPEG-2.

If I would like to use MPEG-4 in order to get a higher quality compression, I have to set the format "High Definition DVD". But this format is made only for Blu-Ray players. is it right?

So, my question is: how do i get the best possible quality (considering my needs, to watch my dvd on TV)?

Any other software (even iDVD) allows MPEG-4 encoding to create a DVD.

I'm really confused.

6 answers to this question

A DVD is NOT high definition. The standard for DVD video is "Standard Definition," which is 720x480. DVDs came out before there was such a thing as Hi-Def. On an HD TV, it looks pretty grainy, and that's just how it is. As you said, you can create an AVCHD disc, which is a Hi-Definition format on a DVD disc, but that must be played on a Blu-Ray player. Everything else, even your commercial DVD videos, are Standard Definition. You can't change that, that's how it is.

HD requires HD output, which means Blu-Ray. A regular DVD player can only output in SD.

Hope that helps clear it up!

I think you are mistaken about iDVD. It is only MPEG-2 because that is what is required for video DVD.

I think you are mistaken about iDVD. It is only MPEG-2 because that is what is required for video DVD.

Ok, my mistake. I thought that compression in iDVD was not to mpeg-2. Anyway, quality was not so bad. But I wanted something more, that's why i purchased Toast.

So, I created in Toast the same dvd which contains only one file (a quicktime movie .mp4 of 9GB). The video is taken mostly with an iphone, so I know that has nothing to do with high definition. But I wanted that titles, transitions, still images (with some ken burns effects) etc worked well. On the contrary checking the preview with the disk image, the result is pretty much worse than in iDVD. Nothing fluid and smooth: titles, images stuttering. Much more than in iDVD, that I consider not a great software.

A settings issue?

I customized the encoding using 7.5 mbps average max 8.5. I put a check mark on Half-pel. Did I forget anything?

And can you advice me: i have the same file in .mov (15GB). Maybe I have to start from this and not the .mp4.

Well, Thank you and sorry about my confusion (and my english, too. Hope everything is clear)

No problem with your English!

I'm going to have to defer to someone else for setting questions as I'm not a Toast user, living over in the Windows world.

When you say you previewed with the disc image, is that a final, rendered version of the disc? Did you try actually writing it to a DVD and playing it? If it's not a final rendered video, then stuttering and lack of fluidity would not be unusual since you're asking your computer to process transitions and effects in real-time, which may not happen smoothly. The same with quality. In VideoWave, the preview window is fairly low resolution, even compared to a DVD, so make sure you look at the output of a final disc after all the processing is done.

No problem with your English!

I'm going to have to defer to someone else for setting questions as I'm not a Toast user, living over in the Windows world.

When you say you previewed with the disc image, is that a final, rendered version of the disc? Did you try actually writing it to a DVD and playing it? If it's not a final rendered video, then stuttering and lack of fluidity would not be unusual since you're asking your computer to process transitions and effects in real-time, which may not happen smoothly. The same with quality. In VideoWave, the preview window is fairly low resolution, even compared to a DVD, so make sure you look at the output of a final disc after all the processing is done.

Actually I burned a DVD and I must admit that it works better. Thanks for the suggestion d_deweywright!

You're very welcome! Glad that worked better for you. A lot of people expect the preview to behave exactly like the final rendered video without realizing that any effects take a whole lot of processing power, which all gets done during the rendering process so it doesn't have to be done during playback.