• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 197 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

JohnH

What software is needed to restore older "Backup My PC" data?

Question

Sometime after January 2003, I backed up some data across several CDs and labeled them "Backup My PC". I cannot remember which version of Easy CD Creator I used. Version 5's interface looks totally unfamiliar to me and a reveiw of version 4 that I found on the internet stated that its backup program was named "Take Two".

Can anyone help refresh my memory as to how I might have performed this backup and what software I will need to restore the data?

Thanks,

John

PS. I have already attempted to use IsoBuster without success.

13 answers to this question

BackUp My PC is a Sonic program.

After Sonic bought Roxio's name and software (the former Roxio had bought the name & software for Napster, and changed their name to Napster), Sonic issued Easy Media Creator 7.5, combining Roxio's EMC 7 and some Sonic programs.

If you did this before EMC 7.5, you are going to have to contact the Sonic folks.

Lynn

BackUp My PC is a Sonic program.

After Sonic bought Roxio's name and software (the former Roxio had bought the name & software for Napster, and changed their name to Napster), Sonic issued Easy Media Creator 7.5, combining Roxio's EMC 7 and some Sonic programs.

If you did this before EMC 7.5, you are going to have to contact the Sonic folks.

Lynn

I have contacted them and the problem is that recent versions of Backup My PC do not support backups created from earlier versions. Apparently, Backup My PC was somehow integrated into Easy CD Creator 4 or 5 (must have been for me to do the backup) but so far I haven't been able to pin down exactly which verison had this functionality and how it was presented within the program. I read another post where someone had to customize his install of Easy CD Creator 7x in order for Backup My PC to be available - it sounded rather complicated.

Needless to say, I still do not have a very good understanding of the relationship between these two programs.

The first time the two programs came together was EMC 7.5.

The older Version you are seeking help on has no more relationship to ECDC 5 than Ford has with General Motors.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION between your Version of BUMP and ECDC 5 or 6.

Lynn

Needless to say, I still do not have a very good understanding of the relationship between these two programs.

Hi John,

Backup My PC (or BUMP) was a stand-alone Sonic application until Sonic gobbled up Roxio, so all versions up to BUMP 6 are Sonic. That would explain why the ECDC 5 interface is totally unfamiliar to you. Versions after 6 are Sonic/Roxio.

It does appear that their current version is Backup My PC 2006. I can't find any mention on their site about earlier versions of BUMP, or anything about backwards compatability.

I'm sorry, but I'm an Easy CD Creator customer so I can't help you further.

Hi John,

"so all versions up to BUMP 6 are Sonic."

Thanks for your help.

All the versions of BUMP up thru 6 that I have come across seem to have been from a company named Stomp. Were there two separate BUMP applications?

All the versions of BUMP up thru 6 that I have come across seem to have been from a company named Stomp. Were there two separate BUMP applications?

I have Sonic's "Backup My PC v6 Deluxe" dated 2004, in my hot little hand right now, so perhaps Stompsoft did earlier versions. If they sold it to Sonic, that could explain why there's no support for it now on Stompsoft's site and it would also explain why Sonic isn't supporting earlier versions sold by someone else. I'm sorry, but I don't follow these takeovers as assiduously as my colleague Lynn.

Regrets, but it could be that unless CDRoller helps you you might be SOL.

Guest ivanatrox

Stomp relicensed Backup MyPC from Sonic and provide their own support on the product. The two versions are very similiar.

Stomp relicensed Backup MyPC from Sonic and provide their own support on the product. The two versions are very similiar.

I have an original CD of BUMP ver 4.71 from Stompsoft from 3-5-02. I upgraded to ver 5.0 on 5-13-04 &

to ver 6.0 on 2-16-05. A memo I got with 6.0 stated that any backups made prior to this version could not be restored with 6.0. Also, this was the last version from Stompsoft. So, you will need a version prior to 6.0 to restore older backups. Hope this helps. RoyW

I have an original CD of BUMP ver 4.71 from Stompsoft from 3-5-02. I upgraded to ver 5.0 on 5-13-04 &

to ver 6.0 on 2-16-05. A memo I got with 6.0 stated that any backups made prior to this version could not be restored with 6.0. Also, this was the last version from Stompsoft. So, you will need a version prior to 6.0 to restore older backups. Hope this helps. RoyW

It depends on the version that was used to back up. Prior to Sonic purchasing BUMP, it was licensed thru Stomp, I am not sure whether that license was thru Sonic or Veritas. Prior to Stomp it was Veritas, and prior to Veritas it was Seagate Backup Exec. Around the switch from version 4 to 5 they changed the format enough that you could not restore a version 4 with version 5. Not sure when that change was made, but it wasn't all that many years ago.

If you still have the disk and don't need it anymore, I'll pay you for it. Mine broke in two and I really need the program.

Thanks,Anne

Stomp Backup MyPC, Version 4.71

I found the program in two places.

Download at:

http://www.discount-software.ws/discount-s...mypc-stomp.html

Purchase cd at

http://www.meritlineforum.com/

I recommend this program for backing up individual files and/or folders and then restoring them to a different computer. I know where the important files are on my hard drive and I include them in a backup which I can restore on a new compuer (or reinstalled OS). For example, the normal.dot template for word, mouse file with programmed buttons, favorites and other shortcuts, data for Outlook, Quicken, etc., and downloaded program files which allow me to install a program without the cd.

Maybe I just don't know how to do it right, but I'm not comfortable with full system backups. I don't mind spending the time to reload OS, and reinstall application programs and it ensures clean registry and disk. The one time I created full system backup it failed to restore the system. I have a small business and several computers. Spending time on backups is far better than losing data.

Edited by aect

Discount-software.ws - you'd have to worry about a site that sells 3-year-old outdated Roxio EMC 8 for $70, when the latest all-singing and dancing version 11 is only $80 from Roxio, but I guess if you're desperate . . .

I recommend this program for backing up individual files and/or folders and then restoring them to a different computer.

A different computer running the same Operating System, perhaps, but don't expect to be able to restore files backed up with BUMP on a Vista machine which won't run your BUMP. We get so many cries for help from people who have backed up with old software they can't run any more, and we can't help them.

I'm glad your system is working for you, aect, and I hope that it keeps working. My personal recommendation however, is to time-and-technology-proof your backups.

-if you use a proprietary system for things like system backups, make sure you can run your recovery software into a computer with an empty hard drive and no operating system. You need a bootable recovery system which doesn't rely on having Windows working, because when you need to recover you most likely won't have Windows working. Also, remember that most Sonic/Roxio software isn't backward compatible.

-if you are archiving data, make sure you save them in plain form on CD, DVD, or portable HD so that you don't have to find an old computer with old software in order to retrieve your data later.

-whenever you backup data, make sure your backups are error-free.

Season's greetings,

Brendon