Tigger59

Media not showing in DVD Builder

Question

About a year ago, I created a DVD using mostly digital photos and some video using DVD Builder. It worked fine.

Now, I'm trying :) to do the same and DVD Builder continually freezes up! I've had the same problems with VideoWave but not as frequent.

I edited my video in VideoWave and given each segment a name and tried to bring it into my template for DVD Builder. The file shows on the bar indicating how much space is left on the DVD but nothing shows on the Production Editor and there are no Titles on the front page.

I'm this close to switching to a Mac that has DVD Studio Pro (something I'm not familiar with and my husband doesn't have time to teach me) and iPhoto as well as other (better) video & editing software.

Can someone please tell me why I can't do anything with VideoWave & DVD Builder! I was hoping to have my vacation memories completed by the end of October 2006 but at this rate, I might not be done until 2010!

Thanks,

Tigger59

16 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley

Have you defragmented your hard disk recently? Video editing and burning software works better with a defragmented drive. Do it even if Windows tells you not to unless you've done it recently.

Have you installed any new programs in the past year?

Also, get rid of any spyware/malware on your computer with programs such as AdAware, Spybot, or SpySweeper. SpySweeper is the best, but there is no free version.

As a last resort, download and install this fix:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/hotfix/emc71hot1.exe

Edited by grandpabruce

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll try them and let you know if they work. As for spyware, etc. I check for that at least 2-3x a week.

I should add that I believe I may have created my previous DVD on EMC 6.0 and did it all in DVD Builder (or whatever it's called in v6). As well, I had a system crash a few months ago and had to re-format my C Drive and (of course) reinstall everything.

I seem to be okay with Video Wave now but, as I said, when I bring productions into DVD Builder, it either freezes up or the file shows on the production bar but nothing shows in the Production Editor or on the title page.

As I said above, I'll try your suggestions and hopefully everything is okay.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Tigger59

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll try them and let you know if they work. As for spyware, etc. I check for that at least 2-3x a week.

I should add that I believe I may have created my previous DVD on EMC 6.0 and did it all in DVD Builder (or whatever it's called in v6). As well, I had a system crash a few months ago and had to re-format my C Drive and (of course) reinstall everything.

I seem to be okay with Video Wave now but, as I said, when I bring productions into DVD Builder, it either freezes up or the file shows on the production bar but nothing shows in the Production Editor or on the title page.

As I said above, I'll try your suggestions and hopefully everything is okay.

Thanks! :)

Don't confuse spyware/malware with viruses. They are not the same thing.

Removed spyware (which, as I mentioned before, I do 2-3x a week). Defragged my C drive. Checked for viruses and, thankfully, there were none.

And still, DVD Builder refuses to recognize files in the Production Editor. They do, however, show on the bar that indicates there are files.

I'll try the fix, but something tells me that isn't going to work either.

My only hope now seems to be re-installing Easy Media Creator 6 for the DVD program. I've spent too many hours on my slide shows and editing video to start from scratch. I looked at DVD Studio Pro on a Mac but it's too complicated to learn on such short notice and it would require me doing practially everything from scratch.

If anyone else has another suggestion, I'd really appreciate it.

Removed spyware (which, as I mentioned before, I do 2-3x a week). Defragged my C drive. Checked for viruses and, thankfully, there were none.

And still, DVD Builder refuses to recognize files in the Production Editor. They do, however, show on the bar that indicates there are files.

I'll try the fix, but something tells me that isn't going to work either.

My only hope now seems to be re-installing Easy Media Creator 6 for the DVD program. I've spent too many hours on my slide shows and editing video to start from scratch. I looked at DVD Studio Pro on a Mac but it's too complicated to learn on such short notice and it would require me doing practially everything from scratch.

If anyone else has another suggestion, I'd really appreciate it.

You should have told us that you have IE 7 installed when you first started talking about your problem. IE 7 renders both VideoWave and DVD Builder useless.

I unistalled IE 7, and everything is back to normal. It is highly doubtful that there will be a fix since this is old software.

I would really like someone to help me because I'm ready to find another program that will do what it's supposed to becuase Roxio 7.5 DVD Builder isn't doing what it's supposed to and I'm getting very frustrated!

I'm as updated as possible in Easy Media Creator 7.5. I've scanned my PC for viruses. None. I've checked for spyware and cleared it out. (Something I do 2-3x a week). I've defragged my hard drive. I've installed a "fix" recommended in another topic.

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't ANY REASON why DVD Builder shouldn't recognize media that's been added, but it doesn't. I've set up DVD templates with buttons, etc and "added" media created in VideoWave and also saved as *.mpg and yet NOTHING SHOWS in the Production Editor. Only in the bar at the bottom that shows files have been added.

What am I doing wrong? What else should I be doing to my computer? I have Windows XP SP2 and am also as updated as possible.

I sent an email to Roxio over a week ago and they've yet to answer me. I'm hoping someone in this discussion group can help because, as I said before, I'm getting very frustrated.

I would really like someone to help me because I'm ready to find another program that will do what it's supposed to becuase Roxio 7.5 DVD Builder isn't doing what it's supposed to and I'm getting very frustrated!

I'm as updated as possible in Easy Media Creator 7.5. I've scanned my PC for viruses. None. I've checked for spyware and cleared it out. (Something I do 2-3x a week). I've defragged my hard drive. I've installed a "fix" recommended in another topic.

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't ANY REASON why DVD Builder shouldn't recognize media that's been added, but it doesn't. I've set up DVD templates with buttons, etc and "added" media created in VideoWave and also saved as *.mpg and yet NOTHING SHOWS in the Production Editor. Only in the bar at the bottom that shows files have been added.

What am I doing wrong? What else should I be doing to my computer? I have Windows XP SP2 and am also as updated as possible.

I sent an email to Roxio over a week ago and they've yet to answer me. I'm hoping someone in this discussion group can help because, as I said before, I'm getting very frustrated.

No need to start a new thread. :):huh::D:D:D:D:D:D Did you not read my post???????

No need to start a new thread. :):huh::D:D:D:D:D:D Did you not read my post???????

I started a new thread because, in reality, the subject was different. My intial thread was because Video Wave & DVD Builder were freezing. That isn't happening. But DVD Builder is still not recognizing any media.

If you or someone else can help me fix this problem, I would be ever so grateful. I've got over 1,500 photos and about 3-4 hours +/- of video from me & husband's recent trip to Walt Disney World and the Orlando area and would love to be able to put everything on a DVD so that I can share it with my family & friends.

What's really getting me upset is that I had absolutely no problems using DVD Builder (or whatever it was called in Easy Media Creator 6) a little more than a year ago. I thought by upgrading to 7.5 things would be easier. They're not.

I started a new thread because, in reality, the subject was different. My intial thread was because Video Wave & DVD Builder were freezing. That isn't happening. But DVD Builder is still not recognizing any media.

If you or someone else can help me fix this problem, I would be ever so grateful. I've got over 1,500 photos and about 3-4 hours +/- of video from me & husband's recent trip to Walt Disney World and the Orlando area and would love to be able to put everything on a DVD so that I can share it with my family & friends.

What's really getting me upset is that I had absolutely no problems using DVD Builder (or whatever it was called in Easy Media Creator 6) a little more than a year ago. I thought by upgrading to 7.5 things would be easier. They're not.

First of all, there is no way that you are going to get that many photos and video on one DVD. You are lucky if you get it on 2 DVD's.

The symptoms that you are describing are exactly the problems experienced when Internet Explorer 7 is installed. Do you have Internet Explorer 7 (IE 7) on your computer?

First of all, there is no way that you are going to get that many photos and video on one DVD. You are lucky if you get it on 2 DVD's.

The symptoms that you are describing are exactly the problems experienced when Internet Explorer 7 is installed. Do you have Internet Explorer 7 (IE 7) on your computer?

Yes, grandpabruce, I have IE7 on my computer. This caused problems in another situation but I was able to make changes on my internet setup and it's okay. You mentioned that you removed IE7. How can it be removed? I couldn't find it on my Add/Remove Programs or with in the Programs directory on my PC. I use Yahoo! thru my internet provider and rarely use IE so it's no great loss if it's wiped off.

On a side note, I'm wondering if IE7 has anything to do with why I couldn't use an iPod that I bought yesterday. I even spoke to someone at Apple and she had to get help. I'm taking the iPod back to the Apple Store to exchange it, but this makes me wonder if I'll continue to have problems until IE7 is gone! Hmm!

Thanks!

Edited by Tigger59

Yes, grandpabruce, I have IE7 on my computer. This caused problems in another situation but I was able to make changes on my internet setup and it's okay. You mentioned that you removed IE7. How can it be removed? I couldn't find it on my Add/Remove Programs or with in the Programs directory on my PC. I use Yahoo! thru my internet provider and rarely use IE so it's no great loss if it's wiped off.

On a side note, I'm wondering if IE7 has anything to do with why I couldn't use an iPod that I bought yesterday. I even spoke to someone at Apple and she had to get help. I'm taking the iPod back to the Apple Store to exchange it, but this makes me wonder if I'll continue to have problems until IE7 is gone! Hmm!

Thanks!

Okay, that was why I told you before, to dump IE 7. It disables video editing in EMC 7 and EMC 7.5. It does work okay with EMC 8 and EMC 9, though.

Okay, that was why I told you before, to dump IE 7. It disables video editing in EMC 7 and EMC 7.5. It does work okay with EMC 8 and EMC 9, though.

Please tell me how I can safely remove IE 7 because I can't figure it out as it's not showing in Add/Remove Programs. Or, do you think my next best move is to upgrade to EMC 8 or 9?

Thanks!

You should be able to go to the Control Panel,Add/Remove programs and remove it.I did.

In addition to what Larry said, if you still can't spot it, open tools at the top of Explorer, select Tools > Folder Options > View and tick 'Show Hidden Files and Folders': click Apply, then go to Windows\Inf and open sysoc.inf for editing (in notepad),

Do a block replace of ,hide with , (that is comma hide with comma) and save

Go back to add/remove components, windows components and previously hidden files will now be visible

Edited by gi7omy